Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: YSU post game thoughts.

89MTBISON is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: YSU post game thoughts.

I'm not sure it's Kleiman, Carson was great under pressure i.e. the Natty against Jacksonville, SDSU playoff game, N. Iowa in '15(?). Stick doesn't seem to have that focus under pressure Wentz and Brock had. Stick's attempt at a comeback against JMU last year was awful. Time management against SDSU before half last year was atrocious, and again on saturday at YSU before the half. I don't think he has that intangible under pressure a great QB needs. We had plenty of time at the end of regulation saturday with 3 TO's left, Kleiman didn't trust him to lead the drive.

Quote Originally Posted by CAS4127 View Post
    Correct, and then some. And the concern for me is we’ve seen same thing in big games under Kliemen. I just don’t understand it.

And attempting one on one passes inside 5 when we can’t get separation when at 50 just baffled me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This. I don't remember a single game under Klieman where I said, "Wow, that was great clock management."

Quote Originally Posted by 89MTBISON View Post
    I'm not sure it's Kleiman, Carson was great under pressure i.e. the Natty against Jacksonville, SDSU playoff game, N. Iowa in '15(?). Stick doesn't seem to have that focus under pressure Wentz and Brock had. Stick's attempt at a comeback against JMU last year was awful. Time management against SDSU before half last year was atrocious, and again on saturday at YSU before the half. I don't think he has that intangible under pressure a great QB needs. We had plenty of time at the end of regulation saturday with 3 TO's left, Kleiman didn't trust him to lead the drive.
    Easton hasn't thrown a INT all year. Sure he's made some questionable decisions, but he's a junior. Time to let the kid loose

Quote Originally Posted by BisonLaw View Post
    Easton hasn't thrown a INT all year. Sure he's made some questionable decisions, but he's a junior. Time to let the kid loose
    This is basically his third year starting, his accuracy is much better this year, but he hasn't shown that extra something, at least not consistently the way Brock and Carson did. We could put the ball in those two guys hands in crunch time knowing we'd be successful. I hope Stick develops that quality, but so far, not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    Agreed, those didn't even seem good enough to called 50/50 plays. More like 25/75 plays. Would've been nice to see something a little more creative down there like a pick play or bunching 3 receivers to try to confuse the defense since they couldn't risk running it after botching the usage of the TOs.
    On first and goal, they ran a pick play with RJ and Shep. I have not seen the replay, but I believe Shep was open. 3rd down play I believe was a back shoulder throw to Illies that just missed. No problem for me with the play-calling. Issue to me was clock management leading up to 1st and goal and not preserving any timeouts.

wagsabison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

He did alright against Iowa last year when we needed a drive at the end of the game. Kolpack asked Klieman after the game about settling for OT... basically his explanation was - they tried to get a decent run with stick (similar to the end of the iowa game) & YSU was doing something things they hadn't seen all year from them with blitzes and they felt more comfortable taking it to OT. I guess it worked out.

This is basically his third year starting, his accuracy is much better this year, but he hasn't shown that extra something, at least not consistently the way Brock and Carson did. We could put the ball in those two guys hands in crunch time knowing we'd be successful. I hope Stick develops that quality, but so far, not so much.
    Iowa?????????

Kid is fantastic. Carson and Brock were not runners like Easton. So, maybe you have not seen it passing, but I've never seen a Bison QB run like this since the veer days. Only flaws I see are the same flaws every QB has. When he goes through progressions, lights out. When he zones in, not as good.

I would argue Brock did not fully hit his peak until his senior year and comparisons to Carson simply aren't that fair IMO. Easton has proven pretty consistently his ability to compete and win games. Hopefully going forward when it comes down to the wire Easton and the coaches will handle the entire situation better.

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    Iowa?????????

Kid is fantastic. Carson and Brock were not runners like Easton. So, maybe you have not seen it passing, but I've never seen a Bison QB run like this since the veer days. Only flaws I see are the same flaws every QB has. When he goes through progressions, lights out. When he zones in, not as good.
    YSU shut down the QB run on saturday at the end of regulation because that is what Stick does best in crunch time, Pelini knew that. He will need to throw better under pressure when we need him to. When has he done that? Maybe a good throw to RJ late against Iowa. I can't think of crunch time pass Easton has made in the closing minutes of a game to bring us back, although my memory isn't what is once was. Yes he's only lost two games, but it would have been nice to see him throw a catchable ball late against JMU. And yes he is fantastic, no question about it.

It’s Kleinman, not calling timeouts when he should and calling them when he shouldn’t. That’s not the quarterback, it’s the head coach. The issues just before halftime started before the offense was even on the field.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie