Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: YSU post game thoughts.

Default Re: YSU post game thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by 89MTBISON View Post
    I believe it was two QB runs and a kneel down to end regulation.
    They ran Stick twice on 1st and 2nd down getting a total of 6 yards to set up 3rd and 4. They ran him again and he got 7 to get a first down with 12 seconds left and finally used a timeout. They tried one deep pass to RJ on the subsequent 1st down which ran it down to 5 seconds and then kneeled to send it to OT.

http://www.espn.com/college-football...meId=400951071

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    It’s Kleinman, not calling timeouts when he should and calling them when he shouldn’t. That’s not the quarterback, it’s the head coach. The issues just before halftime started before the offense was even on the field.
    This so much!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bisonville: Making football coaches out of arm-chair-QB's and jock sniffers for years!
    Today's CAS GASF = ZERO
    RELUCTANT MEMBER of the TOHBTC

And, don’t believe everything you think—jussayin’.

Liberals of BV need not respond to my posts. I don’t need to get any more dumb.

89MTBISON is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    Why do you think the head coach refuses to call timeouts on defense in order to preserve time, and waste them after a first down is made and the clock is paused? I sincerely would like to know your opinion.

as for the play calling, I generally don’t hyperventilate over it. It’s not a problem I’m well suited to opine on. There are a number of possible explanations that don’t involve incompetence. Game theory, receivers who can’t separate, RPO based on defensive look... the timeouts are a tick in the ‘run it’ column rather than not as your post seemed to imply.
    Just to clarify, I think Kleiman's clock efficiency is awful, he bears the load of blame for that. My point is we aren't choosing to throw the ball during crunch time, not just because Easton is a great runner at QB, but also because his closing game passing efficiency has not been stellar. Again, he hasn't had the opportunity to show much of that. Just over a minute left in the game and three TO's is plenty of time to move the ball if you trust your QB throwing the ball.

Snowgoose is online now Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

At the end of the first half he burned not one but two TO's after getting a first down with the clocked stopped. The other one was around the YSU 30 so the clock mgmt. at the end of the first half was quite poor as could have spiked it both times.

The biggest mistake at the end of the game was not using a TO with 2:00 left when YSU had it on the one inch line. This would have left us with 1:55 remaining and 2 TO's and plenty of time to go down for the game winning field goal.

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonator98 View Post
    At the end of the first half they had 1st and goal at the 2 with :20 seconds left and 1 TO left. Should have spiked it on first down or had a another pass play ready to go instead of calling TO. Then they could have tried a pass on second and run on third and still call a TO for the FG. Not entirely sure it was that bad since they still got the 3 anyway.

The end of game with 1:23 left and 3 TOs they should have definitely tried to get the ball down field for a FG. No excuse for the BS play calling in that situation. Trust your JR QB to lead the team down there.
    If it flies it dies.

Long for the days of freezing in the south stands of Dacotah Field.

89MTBISON is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    They ran Stick twice on 1st and 2nd down getting a total of 6 yards to set up 3rd and 4. They ran him again and he got 7 to get a first down with 12 seconds left and finally used a timeout. They tried one deep pass to RJ on the subsequent 1st down which ran it down to 5 seconds and then kneeled to send it to OT.

http://www.espn.com/college-football...meId=400951071
    My bad, forgot the pass at the end to RJ, what did you think of the pass?

Quote Originally Posted by Snowgoose View Post
    The biggest mistake at the end of the game was not using a TO with 2:00 left when YSU had it on the one inch line. This would have left us with 1:55 remaining and 2 TO's and plenty of time to go down for the game winning field goal.
    I think that was a good call to not use any TOs on defense there. YSU still had two TOs left themselves at that point so had the Bison used that TO and got the ball back with ~2 minutes left they'd be in danger of giving it back to a YSU offense that just went 85 yards to tie the game with plenty of time left if the Bison went 3 and out themselves. 1:22 with 3 TOs is plenty of time to get into FG range in the college game with the clock stopping on 1st downs.

Had YSU been stopped on that 3rd down they scored on then I think you burn the TO on defense to prevent them from running the clock down well under a minute before their last gasp on 4th down.

mtoutfitter is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Which RB redshirt are you talking about pulling?
    I'm going to assume he's talking about Seth Wilson.
    Life is tough, but it's even tougher if you're stupid.......John Wayne

/End Lakes. Roll Herd!

semobison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Just to clarify, I think Kleiman's clock efficiency is awful, he bears the load of blame for that. My point is we aren't choosing to throw the ball during crunch time, not just because Easton is a great runner at QB, but also because his closing game passing efficiency has not been stellar. Again, he hasn't had the opportunity to show much of that. Just over a minute left in the game and three TO's is plenty of time to move the ball if you trust your QB throwing the ball.
    Funny how we finally face a good defense and we struggle throwing the ball. Easton was 1-6 on 3rd downs Saturday. I'm not blaming our QB as much as it is our WR,s cant create separation and get open. We had this problem last season as well. When your not picking up 3rd downs with the passing game it's tough to trust your offense to air it out with a little over a minute to play and it is a tie game!

BisManBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I think that was a good call to not use any TOs on defense there. YSU still had two TOs left themselves at that point so had the Bison used that TO and got the ball back with ~2 minutes left they'd be in danger of giving it back to a YSU offense that just went 85 yards to tie the game with plenty of time left if the Bison went 3 and out themselves. 1:22 with 3 TOs is plenty of time to get into FG range in the college game with the clock stopping on 1st downs.

Had YSU been stopped on that 3rd down they scored on then I think you burn the TO on defense to prevent them from running the clock down well under a minute before their last gasp on 4th down.
    I agree, in fact, I was baffled as to why Youngstown didn't start using their timeouts when it became apparent we weren't going to push the issue.
    The young in this country do not know enough to be prudent,
    and therefore they attempt the impossible - and achieve it generation after generation - Pearl S. Buck

Snowgoose is online now Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I understand what you are saying, but one is playing not to lose and calling a TO is playing to win. Sure you could end up losing I guess I have faith that we are better than the other team.

If it flies it dies.

Long for the days of freezing in the south stands of Dacotah Field.