Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: YSU post game thoughts.

Default Re: YSU post game thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by 89MTBISON View Post
    I'm not sure it's Kleiman, Carson was great under pressure i.e. the Natty against Jacksonville, SDSU playoff game, N. Iowa in '15(?). Stick doesn't seem to have that focus under pressure Wentz and Brock had. Stick's attempt at a comeback against JMU last year was awful. Time management against SDSU before half last year was atrocious, and again on saturday at YSU before the half. I don't think he has that intangible under pressure a great QB needs. We had plenty of time at the end of regulation saturday with 3 TO's left, Kleiman didn't trust him to lead the drive.
    That's the coach not the QB, lose the hate.

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    It’s Kleinman, not calling timeouts when he should and calling them when he shouldn’t. That’s not the quarterback, it’s the head coach. The issues just before halftime started before the offense was even on the field.
    Clearly the weakest part of Coach K's game. I don't have an issue at the end of the game (he simply thought they had a really good shot in an OT situation after a QB run did not pop), but end of first half was bad, bad, bad. Most frustrating to me was when they got a first down at the 1, and took a time out, instead of running up and trying to sneak it in knowing you have the TO.

89MTBISON is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by wagsabison View Post
    He did alright against Iowa last year when we needed a drive at the end of the game. Kolpack asked Klieman after the game about settling for OT... basically his explanation was - they tried to get a decent run with stick (similar to the end of the iowa game) & YSU was doing something things they hadn't seen all year from them with blitzes and they felt more comfortable taking it to OT. I guess it worked out.
    Yes, Kleiman's answer to that question was telling, they looked for a QB run, not for Easton to move us down the field passing under pressure. I think Kleiman said YSU switched up their coverages from previous games, why didn't we adjust?

Yes, Kleiman's answer to that question was telling, they looked for a QB run, not for Easton to move us down the field passing under pressure. I think Kleiman said YSU switched up their coverages from previous games, why didn't we adjust?
    Your argument is essentially that the coaches don't have faith in Easton. Why is he the starting QB then? That's an absurd argument.

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    It’s Kleinman, not calling timeouts when he should and calling them when he shouldn’t. That’s not the quarterback, it’s the head coach. The issues just before halftime started before the offense was even on the field.
    Why do you think with just over a minute left, and three timeouts, we opted for QB runs instead of passing to move the ball down the field? I sincerely would like to know your opinion.

BisManBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Well I hope we would expect more of the same going forward.
    The young in this country do not know enough to be prudent,
    and therefore they attempt the impossible - and achieve it generation after generation - Pearl S. Buck

oldmantutters is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Does Klieman expect his players to learn from their mistakes and improve over time? I'm assuming the answer to that question is yes. He owes the same to his team, to learn from mistakes and improve over time. He needs to get better with clock management.

I'm okay with his explanation regarding the end of regulation. The end of the 1st half was awful IMO.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BisonLaw View Post
    Your argument is essentially that the coaches don't have faith in Easton. Why is he the starting QB then? That's an absurd argument.
    No, I don't think they have confidence in him moving the ball down the field passing the ball under pressure. Certainly Easton's greatest strength is his threat to run the ball. Otherwise, with three TO's we would have been throwing it to at least try to get in field goal position. I think Easton is a great QB, just haven't seen him perform all that well under pressure when time is short. And the sample size for that situation is very small.

No, I don't think they have confidence in him moving the ball down the field passing the ball under pressure. Certainly Easton's greatest strength is his threat to run the ball. Otherwise, with three TO's we would have been throwing it to at least try to get in field goal position. I think Easton is a great QB, just haven't seen him perform all that well under pressure when time is short. And the sample size for that situation is very small.
    Even if that is the case, which I don't think it is, there are still ways to move the ball while minimizing the difficulty of throws the QB has to make and ways you can keep pressure off your QB. The middle screen was an elite play for us back in the Jensen days.

At the end of the first half they had 1st and goal at the 2 with :20 seconds left and 1 TO left. Should have spiked it on first down or had a another pass play ready to go instead of calling TO. Then they could have tried a pass on second and run on third and still call a TO for the FG. Not entirely sure it was that bad since they still got the 3 anyway.

The end of game with 1:23 left and 3 TOs they should have definitely tried to get the ball down field for a FG. No excuse for the BS play calling in that situation. Trust your JR QB to lead the team down there.