Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: YSU post game thoughts.

ZHerd is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: YSU post game thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by semobison View Post
    Funny how we finally face a good defense and we struggle throwing the ball. Easton was 1-6 on 3rd downs Saturday. I'm not blaming our QB as much as it is our WR,s cant create separation and get open. We had this problem last season as well. When your not picking up 3rd downs with the passing game it's tough to trust your offense to air it out with a little over a minute to play and it is a tie game!
    I'm not convinced the receivers should be taking all of the flack either though. Sticks receivers did just fine with the previous qb even against good defenses. They were not open many times but the ball was well placed. One thing Stick does not have and could really use right now is a Zack Vraa

semobison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by ZHerd View Post
    I'm not convinced the receivers should be taking all of the flack either though. Sticks receivers did just fine with the previous qb even against good defenses. They were not open many times but the ball was well placed. One thing Stick does not have and could really use right now is a Zack Vraa
    Don't get me wrong, I like RJ and Shep but we could use a big fast wide reciever or a real big receiver or a real fast receiver. One of the three! Is there anyone in the wings that fits one of these categories?

Don't get me wrong, I like RJ and Shep but we could use a big fast wide reciever or a real big receiver or a real fast receiver. One of the three! Is there anyone in the wings that fits one of these categories?
    Desmond Cain is supposed to. No one will say what's going on with him.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

ZHerd is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

We have really big, I'm not sure we've ever had a real burner. Also, I don't think our bigger guys exactly have Vraa's ball skills. Since I've been following Bison recruiting it seems like receivers are about the hardest position for NDSU to get highly skilled players.

Quote Originally Posted by 89MTBISON View Post
    Just to clarify, I think Kleiman's clock efficiency is awful, he bears the load of blame for that. My point is we aren't choosing to throw the ball during crunch time, not just because Easton is a great runner at QB, but also because his closing game passing efficiency has not been stellar. Again, he hasn't had the opportunity to show much of that. Just over a minute left in the game and three TO's is plenty of time to move the ball if you trust your QB throwing the ball.
    A W is always good. 1st poster on this thread had many positive things to say, and I agree with that person. Good teams can make other good teams look bad or look like they have weaknesses, so YSU deserves some credit on this count. That said, I think the Bison have several things they can work on.
    a) Stick as a passer, a decision maker. I felt on some of the times when they had to move the ball and resorted to throwing, Stick made bad passing decisions. For example, throwing to a receiver with two defenders nearby. Why not go to the next receiver? Or
    b) Bison could use an Ertz . . . someone who can do the quick juk, go 5-10 yards, with a very quick QB throw. With a stingy defense, this helps.
    c) Defensive backs got beat quite a bit.
    d) Defense against a running QB at times
    e) Time management . . . very lousy. Perhaps due to some of the above things. Lack of confidence in Stick getting to an outside receiver w/o an interception. Pure speculation here. Not rumor fed.

Quote Originally Posted by ZHerd View Post
    We need to throw when rj and shep aren't in the game to. Seemed like they rotated in and out of the game together. We would always run when Engel, Williams, and Freeman were in and on passing downs shep and rj would come back in. A tendency that I'm sure opposing coaches pick up on.

89MTBISON is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo.Rider View Post
    A W is always good. 1st poster on this thread had many positive things to say, and I agree with that person. Good teams can make other good teams look bad or look like they have weaknesses, so YSU deserves some credit on this count. That said, I think the Bison have several things they can work on.
    a) Stick as a passer, a decision maker. I felt on some of the times when they had to move the ball and resorted to throwing, Stick made bad passing decisions. For example, throwing to a receiver with two defenders nearby. Why not go to the next receiver? Or
    b) Bison could use an Ertz . . . someone who can do the quick juk, go 5-10 yards, with a very quick QB throw. With a stingy defense, this helps.
    c) Defensive backs got beat quite a bit.
    d) Defense against a running QB at times
    e) Time management . . . very lousy. Perhaps due to some of the above things. Lack of confidence in Stick getting to an outside receiver w/o an interception. Pure speculation here. Not rumor fed.
    Agree with everything here. This game had a hint of SDSU regular season game last year, except we won. Mays ran well and we missed tackles against him that made for big plays. If we meet them again, I think we pound them. Our O line looked awesome against a really good YSU defense. The Dline had their best game this year.

Quote Originally Posted by wagsabison View Post
    He did alright against Iowa last year when we needed a drive at the end of the game. Kolpack asked Klieman after the game about settling for OT... basically his explanation was - they tried to get a decent run with stick (similar to the end of the iowa game) & YSU was doing something things they hadn't seen all year from them with blitzes and they felt more comfortable taking it to OT. I guess it worked out.
    We nearly ran out of time too vs Iowa. but CK called a timeout when it looked like Stick was going to snap it. Its been a big concern time and again

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote Originally Posted by ndsubison1 View Post
    We nearly ran out of time too vs Iowa. but CK called a timeout when it looked like Stick was going to snap it. Its been a big concern time and again
    I guess it does not keep me up at night