Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819

Thread: YSU post game thoughts.

Default Re: YSU post game thoughts.

I think the passing game would have been more effective if YSU’s defenders weren’t allowed to literally undress our receivers.

Easton was 11/21 which also includes a spiked ball and a few throwaway/jump balls in the end zone.

NDSU used Easton’s legs because that’s what YSU was willing to give up against the Bison power run and throwing game. Yes, it would have been nice to torch the Penguins, but NDSU decided to play smart football instead of risky football, or stubborn football like we saw too much last year.

One thing I’ve really enjoyed of the passing game is passes over the middle, especially to the TEs. Easton lacked that last year and basically only threw to the outside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hail the BISON!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 1st&TennBison View Post
    When the Bison played ISU-Blue, I was happy with the passing in that game, I viewed it as if the Bison just decided they were going to show everyone that we can now do a respectable job in the passing game, and that our TEs were a force to be aware of. However after the YSU game I do not feel the same. At one point in the fourth quarter the play by play guy made the statement that YSU was not respecting the NDSU receivers and were just playing them man to man with really no fear of getting burned or giving up anything big. And I have to agree with the assessment he made, the receivers were having a very hard time getting open for the most part. Now in general, I do believe that NDSU can get away with the level the receivers are at in 90%-95% of the teams being faced. A great running game and a less than average passing game(at best). This however is going to be a problem once NDSU goes up against the likes of JMU. JMU(semifinals) did the same thing as YSU did last week (only better as per the outcome) with basically their defense giving our passing game the middle finger and putting everyone in the box and along the line to stop the run. I do not see any noticeable improvement in this area for the Bison this year and I fear the outcome is going to be the same. I understand YSU is regarded as having a very good defense, but so will any teams we face in the later rounds of the playoffs. Is the running game enough, the way that it is, to get another championship, on the offensive side of this team. The defense for sure is getting pounded with injuries but thank god that the backups seem to be world beaters as they are all stepping up big time. Cox was a monster this game. That kid is going to be a first class stud like Nick Deluca. Our defense is doing a great job, can they carry us to another championship and overcome enough to make up for other areas that lack a little?
    I do believe that is signature YSU. They play aggressive man coverage on defense. Would it be nice if we had a receiver who could find a way to get open? Sure. Aggressive man coverage also allows for 80 yard QB runs though.

Quote Originally Posted by BisonLaw View Post
    I do believe that is signature YSU. They play aggressive man coverage on defense. Would it be nice if we had a receiver who could find a way to get open? Sure. Aggressive man coverage also allows for 80 yard QB runs though.
    Or if we were smart enough to use 6'6" tight end. Seriously, flex the dude out as a wr and make one of those 5'10" dbs cover him.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time. -Max McGee

“I really thought you had to run the football to control the game,” Erhardt once said. “You had to throw the football to score but had to run the football to win.” - Ron Erhardt