Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: YSU post game thoughts.

89MTBISON is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: YSU post game thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by BisonLaw View Post
    Even if that is the case, which I don't think it is, there are still ways to move the ball while minimizing the difficulty of throws the QB has to make and ways you can keep pressure off your QB. The middle screen was an elite play for us back in the Jensen days.
    The evidence says otherwise! Here's to having the opposing team in the position to need a heroic performance from their QB to beat us.

Quote Originally Posted by 89MTBISON View Post
    YSU shut down the QB run on saturday at the end of regulation because that is what Stick does best in crunch time, Pelini knew that. He will need to throw better under pressure when we need him to. When has he done that? Maybe a good throw to RJ late against Iowa. I can't think of crunch time pass Easton has made in the closing minutes of a game to bring us back, although my memory isn't what is once was. Yes he's only lost two games, but it would have been nice to see him throw a catchable ball late against JMU. And yes he is fantastic, no question about it.
    They didn't though. The QB run got them to a 3rd and manageable (3rd and 4) and then the QB run got them a 1st down. The problem was they bled the clock down to under 15 seconds by the time they converted the 3rd down. Had they shown some hop they would've had a 1st down with 45-60 seconds left and two TOs to use. Sorry... I don't buy that one bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonator98 View Post
    At the end of the first half they had 1st and goal at the 2 with :20 seconds left and 1 TO left. Should have spiked it on first down or had a another pass play ready to go instead of calling TO. Then they could have tried a pass on second and run on third and still call a TO for the FG. Not entirely sure it was that bad since they still got the 3 anyway.

The end of game with 1:23 left and 3 TOs they should have definitely tried to get the ball down field for a FG. No excuse for the BS play calling in that situation. Trust your JR QB to lead the team down there.
    With all the talk about "attacking the process", and being prepared come game time, our closing efficiency with Kleiman leaves alot to be desired. Brock would have quickly lined us up and snuck it in for a TD on first down.

few things to clean up for sure. That is football. We played a terrific and physical football team, but more than that, a MOTIVATED football team. After losing to USD, they had to have it. Signature game, at night, at home, big crowd. If you told me we would win barely in OT, I would have taken it in a second. Just steal it. Road wins aren't free and I think we have 12 in a row. Lets get a LB and RB healthy this week, or have that WR kid who plays some RB ready in the wings. I would hate to burn that RB redshirt, but I am at the point where I think the kid has to travel and have a difficult talk.

Cox having that type of game also masks the fact that we are losing a LB each game. Cox clearly is a super freak, but man was he ready on Saturday. THe game must be slowing down as he was playing so much faster than before. Congrats to his film study and the coaches having him ready when he was called on. THat kid will only get better. We need Chris Board back when he can. Love watching him make plays.

The gauntlet as Dom called it turns to a mean Western Illinois team now. Lets get rowdy in the dome. We gotta enjoy this guys. We are in the midst of the greatest run in the history of college football.
    Everyone just relax, all right? Believe me, if there's one thing Ron Burgundy knows, it's women.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    They didn't though. The QB run got them to a 3rd and manageable (3rd and 4) and then the QB run got them a 1st down. The problem was they bled the clock down to under 15 seconds by the time they converted the 3rd down. Had they shown some hop they would've had a 1st down with 45-60 seconds left and two TOs to use. Sorry... I don't buy that one bit.
    I believe it was two QB runs and a kneel down to end regulation.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Burgundy View Post
    Cox having that type of game also masks the fact that we are losing a LB each game. Cox clearly is a super freak, but man was he ready on Saturday. THe game must be slowing down as he was playing so much faster than before. Congrats to his film study and the coaches having him ready when he was called on. THat kid will only get better. We need Chris Board back when he can. Love watching him make plays.
    I think it was Phil today who worried Cox may have gotten lucky on the first OT play (insinuating he guessed run and risked having wide open receiver). That was incorrect as Coach K clearly said in the coaches show it was a run blitz, and like Burgundy said, he did his homework. Just wanted to clear that up.

Why do you think with just over a minute left, and three timeouts, we opted for QB runs instead of passing to move the ball down the field? I sincerely would like to know your opinion.
    Why do you think the head coach refuses to call timeouts on defense in order to preserve time, and waste them after a first down is made and the clock is paused? I sincerely would like to know your opinion.

as for the play calling, I generally don’t hyperventilate over it. It’s not a problem I’m well suited to opine on. There are a number of possible explanations that don’t involve incompetence. Game theory, receivers who can’t separate, RPO based on defensive look... the timeouts are a tick in the ‘run it’ column rather than not as your post seemed to imply.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

few things to clean up for sure. That is football. We played a terrific and physical football team, but more than that, a MOTIVATED football team. After losing to USD, they had to have it. Signature game, at night, at home, big crowd. If you told me we would win barely in OT, I would have taken it in a second. Just steal it. Road wins aren't free and I think we have 12 in a row. Lets get a LB and RB healthy this week, or have that WR kid who plays some RB ready in the wings. I would hate to burn that RB redshirt, but I am at the point where I think the kid has to travel and have a difficult talk.

The gauntlet as Dom called it turns to a mean Western Illinois team now. Lets get rowdy in the dome. We gotta enjoy this guys. We are in the midst of the greatest run in the history of college football.
    Which RB redshirt are you talking about pulling?

This. We are 6-0 and have a Top 10 matchup at home this week after two weeks in a row on the road. We are 6-0 and have a legitimate chance at running the table at this point. Keep getting better every week and we will be right where we want to be at the end of the year.

Brock would have quickly lined us up and snuck it in for a TD on first down.
    This is 100% correct. And that is still on the coach as he has to empower Easton to make those decisions on the fly. That is exactly what they should have done.