Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017-2018 Depth Chart

Default Re: 2017-2018 Depth Chart

Do we really need a point when we pass the ball around the 3 point line and throw up a desperation shot at the end????

The question is who is going to get to the rim and who is going to defend the rim.

Tyson needs to step up as I believe he has the most potential on the team.

That still doesn't leave us a post defender.

Do we have an offense other than the "weave"? Yes I know some will say it is effective and some will say boring. But if you do not have enough slashers going to the rim to contact of get the layup the weave ends up with a heaved up 3 at the end of the shot clock. The old Colorado shuffle I ran back in high school is better than the weave. Need to knock down 82% of team freethrows this year.
    "Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because it is wrong" E. O. Wilson

"I'm not crazy my mother had me tested". Sheldon Cooper

My boss hates it when I shorten his name to Dick, mainly because his name is Steven.

Herd is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by HoopsBison View Post
    Don't be surprised if Paul Miller brings the ball up the court often and handles that pressure. Need Deng Geu to take the next step this season. Needs to be productive and on the court a lot. Not to sure on the freshman and if any will have a role this season. I think Rocky would be most likely to see the court of the group.

Looking forward to the season, and how this group comes together.
    Geu needs to start and begin to carry this team. What are people advocating putting him on the bench again and playing 5 minutes a game. AJ at the 4 is what is ludicrous. AJ, Paul and Ward should be a 3 person rotation at the 2 & 3. Hunter and Van at the 1. Geu, Miller and Eli covering the 4-5. AJ at the 4 puts 4 players on the perimeter and gives this team no physical presence.

Quote Originally Posted by Herd View Post
    Geu needs to start and begin to carry this team. What are people advocating putting him on the bench again and playing 5 minutes a game. AJ at the 4 is what is ludicrous. AJ, Paul and Ward should be a 3 person rotation at the 2 & 3. Hunter and Van at the 1. Geu, Miller and Eli covering the 4-5. AJ at the 4 puts 4 players on the perimeter and gives this team no physical presence.
    Disagree with the bolded part. That's basically forcing at least one of your 3 best returning players to be on the bench at all times. Like someone said earlier with NDSU's "offense" you don't need an elite passer at PG... in fact it's more valuable to have a PG that can shoot and create off the dribble for himself. That pretty much defines Paul Miller to a tee so I think he'd fit fine as the PG and primary ball handler this year. Hunter would be a good guy to bring in against teams that press to have that extra ball handler.

Can Miller play D against the other PGs in the Summit?

Quote Originally Posted by Son of a Bison View Post
    Can Miller play D against the other PGs in the Summit?
    Paul is a very good defensive player. IMO
    "Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because it is wrong" E. O. Wilson

My boss hates it when I shorten his name to Dick, mainly because his name is Steven.

bisonfan08 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Meaty View Post
    Paul is a very good defensive player. IMO
    I also think he's a solid defender but my biggest issue with Paul playing PG would be fatigue. A lot of teams we play pressure the ball all the way up the court which requires additional energy to bring up and then also have to guard some of the quickest guys on opposing teams every possession can really wear a guy out who needs to have legs at the end of games to score in the clutch. Khy was a machine, how he played that many minutes at the pace he did was insane, I don't know if Paul is most effective for our team doing that. I think Cam will start and Geu will be the 6th man, I actually like the idea of Geu coming off the bench as he can provide a spark and can provide a nice rotation in the 3/4 spots to get our starters rest one guy at a time.

Have AJ bring the ball up... He did nothing last year.

Cam Hunter & Tyson Ward & Paul Miller need to run this team.. Period.
    Dylan Miller just needs to board & throw some weight around.
    AJ better do something.
    Ty Eady should NOT redshirt... we need some athleticism somewhere!

everything else is question marks.
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

Will be interesting to see if any of the freshman (Eady, Mertens, Kreuser and Meidinger) redshirt at all. From a physical stand point it sure looks like Eady and Kreuser could play right away. But we do have Dulm and Quayle that came in as transfers to compete with Samuelson and Hunter for minutes as well.
    Any inside report from practice or anything. Only 3 weeks out.