Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017-2018 WBB Season

Default Re: 2017-2018 WBB Season

Tickets arrived today, Lets Go Bison

Well we should have an artificially fantastic pre-conference record... Incredibly weak S.O.S. I don't know how this could possibly prepare us for league.. especially 3 NAIA teams in there. Maybe this is the best we could get as no one wants to play us.

Mayville *
    NJIT
    UMASS
    Valley City *
    Navy
    UMBC
    Colorado
    Milwaukee
    Rio Grande Valley
    UND
    Cal Poly
    Dakota State *

Conversely, look at how the Jacks go about it: only a couple cupcake games in there.
    Northern State
    NJIT
    George Washington
    North Dakota
    Green Bay
    North Carolina State
    Charlotte
    Northern Iowa
    Louisville
    Oklahoma
    Bowling Green
    Creighton
    Drake
    Wichita State
    Florida Gulf Coast

NDSU only led Naia Mn Morris by 4 at Halftime.... sniff sniff
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

Nice to see the ladies start out with a win. Young players in the mix. Low turnovers, shooting was good at 44%. A step in the right direction. Keep it going laides. Horns Up!!!

The recap below was taken from gobison.com.

FARGO, N.D. – The North Dakota State University women's basketball team used a strong second-half to pull away and defeat the Minnesota Morris Cougars, 81-56, in an exhibition game Thursday, Nov. 2, inside the Scheels Center at the Sanford Health Athletic Complex.

NDSU is scheduled to host Mayville State Friday, Nov. 10, at 5 p.m. in the regular season home opener.

Senior Taylor Thunstedt scored 13 points on 5-of-11 shooting from the field to lead the Bison offensive attack, while freshman Macey Kvilvang added 11 points and six rebounds. Rylee Nudell pulled down a team-high seven rebounds, and Autumn Ogden netted eight points and went a perfect 4-for-4 from the floor.

North Dakota State used a 17-0 run at the end of the third-quarter until 4:30 remaining in the fourth-quarter to take control of the game and gain a 73-48 advantage after Kennedy Childers drilled a three. The Cougars never got closer than 23 the remainder of the contest.

The Bison outscored UMM in the second-half, 55-24, after leading by only four points at halftime.

For the game, NDSU went 30-of-68 from the field for 44 percent, including a 10-for-27 performance from three-point range (37 percent). The Bison made 11-of-16 free throws for 69 percent.

North Dakota State claimed a 43-42 advantage in rebounding, and only turned the ball over 15 times while forcing Minnesota Morris into 23 miscues.

Mauren Thiesen and Kendra Raths each scored 11 points, leading the Cougars.

NDSU scoring: Thunstedt 13, Kvilvang 11, Nudell 9, Fernandez 8, Ogden 8, Childers 8, Sarah Jacobson 7, Goodhope 6, Gaislerova 5, Spencer 4, Voegeli 2
    "Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because it is wrong" E. O. Wilson

"I'm not crazy my mother had me tested". Sheldon Cooper

My boss hates it when I shorten his name to Dick, mainly because his name is Steven.

kab1one is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Went to game last night. Couple of observations and questions.

Observations
    Still don't guard the 3 point shot well on the perimeter. Morris kept this game close way to long.
    Don't run plays. Then 5 seconds left on the shot clock, someone has to go 1 on three to the basket.
    Give up too many offensive rebounds. More than once Morris had 3 plus shots on a trip down the court.
    Injuries have already started. Emily Dietz has a stress fracture on her foot. Out 5 weeks. Had been looking good.
    Another young lady was in street clothes. So dressed 11.

Positives
    Cando young lady moved much better than I expected. Blocked some shots in the lane.
    The sophomore, nudell, Jacobson, Jacobson all seemed stronger and faster under control. Jacobson didn't turn the ball over.
    Balanced scoring. Bench provided scorring.
    Played 11. Versus having only 7-8 at times last year. So maybe deeper.

Questions.
    Only 13 young ladies in the line up. 2 injured. Doesn't basketball have 15 scholarships? So are we short 2 players from a full roster.

On your question on the 15 player roster would guess the last 2 schollies were saved for this year’s recruiting class.
    There is only 1 senior - Taylor Thunstedt - so that would help balance the roster. (6 sophomores, 4 freshmen, 2 juniors)
    Plus, one player, G Megan Gamble, left over the summer (?) so that scholarship did not open up until then.

Quote Originally Posted by kab1one View Post
    Went to game last night. Couple of observations and questions.

Observations
    Still don't guard the 3 point shot well on the perimeter. Morris kept this game close way to long.
    Don't run plays. Then 5 seconds left on the shot clock, someone has to go 1 on three to the basket.
    Give up too many offensive rebounds. More than once Morris had 3 plus shots on a trip down the court.
    Injuries have already started. Emily Dietz has a stress fracture on her foot. Out 5 weeks. Had been looking good.
    Another young lady was in street clothes. So dressed 11.

Positives
    Cando young lady moved much better than I expected. Blocked some shots in the lane.
    The sophomore, nudell, Jacobson, Jacobson all seemed stronger and faster under control. Jacobson didn't turn the ball over.
    Balanced scoring. Bench provided scorring.
    Played 11. Versus having only 7-8 at times last year. So maybe deeper.

Questions.
    Only 13 young ladies in the line up. 2 injured. Doesn't basketball have 15 scholarships? So are we short 2 players from a full roster.
    Coach mentioned she is installing a new offense. I hope they the players are able to understand and run what she is asking.
    You have to want to rebound. Shot goes up, find a different colored jersey and box them out.
    I think all will need to play. Jacobson logged 36 minutes a game last year as a freshmen, way too many.

Here is a question since you went to the game. People last year indicated that "chemistry" or "team work" was lacking. Sounded like to me that personalities were getting in the way. Coach has mentioned that again several times the other day in an interview on Bison1660 it was getting better. Did you see anything of this nature that could be holding the team back, among other things?
    "Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because it is wrong" E. O. Wilson

My boss hates it when I shorten his name to Dick, mainly because his name is Steven.

kab1one is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Meaty View Post
    Coach mentioned she is installing a new offense. I hope they the players are able to understand and run what she is asking.
    You have to want to rebound. Shot goes up, find a different colored jersey and box them out.
    I think all will need to play. Jacobson logged 36 minutes a game last year as a freshmen, way too many.

Here is a question since you went to the game. People last year indicated that "chemistry" or "team work" was lacking. Sounded like to me that personalities were getting in the way. Coach has mentioned that again several times the other day in an interview on Bison1660 it was getting better. Did you see anything of this nature that could be holding the team back, among other things?
    Chemistry- Considering it was a game they should win by 30 or 40 and did. I wouldn't expect any issues last evening. Lets see how things look on the court when SDSU is ahead by 20 in the middle of January.

But with that being said. I know one of the players and she is very optimistic. The team is young, but they are improving. In thinking about your question of chemistry, last year certain players if on the court were ball dominant then issues would arise with the coach. Whereas last night no one stuck out in that regard, the scoring and shots seemed spread out more.

Kennedy #23, don't recall the last name. Is a junior and she came off the bench. Last year her and Coach had some issues. Her coming off the bench and playing hard, sets an example for the younger ladies which I don't think they saw last year.

Anna Goodhope who the intent was to redshirt last year, but ended up playing quite of bit last year. Was scrambling last year. Whereas last night, she was in got the ball expected her to make something happen (pass, score, rebound) and she did. Last year it was hope you don't get hurt.

So hopefully it will be better.

Chemistry- Considering it was a game they should win by 30 or 40 and did. I wouldn't expect any issues last evening. Lets see how things look on the court when SDSU is ahead by 20 in the middle of January.

But with that being said. I know one of the players and she is very optimistic. The team is young, but they are improving. In thinking about your question of chemistry, last year certain players if on the court were ball dominant then issues would arise with the coach. Whereas last night no one stuck out in that regard, the scoring and shots seemed spread out more.

Kennedy Childers #23, don't recall the last name. Is a junior and she came off the bench. Last year her and Coach had some issues. Her coming off the bench and playing hard, sets an example for the younger ladies which I don't think they saw last year.

Anna Goodhope who the intent was to redshirt last year, but ended up playing quite of bit last year. Was scrambling last year. Whereas last night, she was in got the ball expected her to make something happen (pass, score, rebound) and she did. Last year it was hope you don't get hurt.

I like the way Kennedy played last year and yes there appeared to be issues last year. I love her effort out there. Good to hear Anna is catching up the speed of the game. When things finally slow down for a player they become so much better. Team is young but improve each day and they will turn out to be really tough. So excited to see what this team can do this year and moving forward as a program.

Kennedy #23, don't recall the last name. Is a junior and she came off the bench. Last year her and Coach had some issues. Her coming off the bench and playing hard, sets an example for the younger ladies which I don't think they saw last year.

So they were losing to these guys at half time 32-26? Funny, you gotta do the math to figure this out...