Page 19 of 36 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017-2018 WBB Season

Default Re: 2017-2018 WBB Season

Most of us realize this team is nowhere it needs to be. Improved from last year? I say yes. Post entry passes were poor last night. Handling pressure defense again very poor. It appears to me when we meet a team equal or better than is we can not control the tempo. You can still control the tempo on better teams. We panic too many times and that leads to poor play.
    "Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because it is wrong" E. O. Wilson

"I'm not crazy my mother had me tested". Sheldon Cooper

My boss hates it when I shorten his name to Dick, mainly because his name is Steven.

semobison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Meaty View Post
    Most of us realize this team is nowhere it needs to be. Improved from last year? I say yes. Post entry passes were poor last night. Handling pressure defense again very poor. It appears to me when we meet a team equal or better than is we can not control the tempo. You can still control the tempo on better teams. We panic too many times and that leads to poor play.
    Defensively we gave up way too many easy looks. USD moved the ball on the perimeter easily because we don't deny the passing lanes, poor communication and we are out of position. Meanwhile USD and their pressure defense took away the passing lanes, aggressively switching on picks on the perimeter and disrupted our offense. Our team defense is not good but this is coachable and correctable. Playing good team defense is all about position, communication, intensity and hard work The question is? Does our coaching staff recognize this?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Meaty View Post
    I get what your saying and I understand how far this program has fallen but there is ZERO reason we should be this bad. NDSU has quite a bit to offer and should be much better. Its gotten so bad that fans flat out dont CARE about this program. Look at the home games, there is nobody there!!!

NDSU always demands the best, hell look at the MBB, Coach Richman has one of the best winning % in NDSU history but some fans are all over him. The reason being people care. I don't even want to begin to think what the reaction would be if it was football. Maren needs to energize the program and fan base. So far she hasn't even come close.

I just want this program to step up and be successful. The tradition and success to build on is there, Maren needs to figure it out quick or we need to find somebody else who can.

Quote Originally Posted by HoopsBison View Post
    I get what your saying and I understand how far this program has fallen but there is ZERO reason we should be this bad. NDSU has quite a bit to offer and should be much better. Its gotten so bad that fans flat out dont CARE about this program. Look at the home games, there is nobody there!!!

NDSU always demands the best, hell look at the MBB, Coach Richman has one of the best winning % in NDSU history but some fans are all over him. The reason being people care. I don't even want to begin to think what the reaction would be if it was football. Maren needs to energize the program and fan base. So far she hasn't even come close.

I just want this program to step up and be successful. The tradition and success to build on is there, Maren needs to figure it out quick or we need to find somebody else who can.
    it's weird how with WBB those on this board are so tolerant of putrid play year over year, and each year it's the same excuse. Recruiting sucks, energy sucks, coaching sucks, Team plays defense like a high school team. Does she not teach basic footwork? Yes, no one really cares anymore, the is a cash drain on the AD. They really should play in the bunker.

Admittedly I haven't followed wbb closely for quite a few years now 6-7?? Probably a couple years into DeHoff era when 2-300 ppl were showing up. Anyways, it seems to be a combination of a lot of things. To me it is the overall do the recruits buy into the system (coaching can help this to an extent but there has to be some effort to buy in by the players), do the recruits possess the "ability" to improve on the skill set that they had when they were recruited or are they coasting. Again coaching but recruit/players have to have that mentality I want to get better. Let me put it this way the 3 or 4 games I've watch Walseth teams play compared to last years of Ruley and DeHoff years looks way more promising. I get though that may not necessarily be enough to get us over the hump of #4, #5, #6 in the Summit to contending for #1, #2, #3. If Walseth isn't the answer you have to go back to the coaching pool and we're going to be back to where we were 3-4 years ago. This has gone on now for nearly 10-15 years I want to say. At this point the 90s glory years have long used up any equity that had built up as a "program" considering WBB is not a huge national following sport.

Think along this lines of where FB would be if Bohl hadn't turned things around. We didn't know before hand that he would either. You can never know 100% for sure a coach will turn a program around. It's a matter do we think bringing in a new coach and seeing in 3-4 years which will push the time frame to being bad to 15-20 years by that time. So it's a matter of hitting a homerun on the next coach to get this thing turned around or NDSU may be looked as a WBB abyss for a long time. I don't know what good advice would be here. Since Bisonette and Elephantdream from all I can gather are former players, is there any way to know with say 90-100% certainty that a coach is going to turn things around. Can we outright steal the Johnston/Plitzuweit from SDSU/USD who seem to have made the transition? As they seem to be our measuring stick right? Would they be able to turn this ship around?

I would like to see through the end of this season before passing final judgement. But when Bnette and ED show up you know they already have her on the hot seat. If we only give coaches 3 years or so to turn this around we're going to need a home run hire who turns it in 1-2 years at minimum. Look at Tim Miles in Nebraska... how long has he been there with pretty much free reign and he's been there since what 2012 so will be 8 years this spring I think? And he's barely gotten them now to mid-level BIG 10 team which probably is a bit harder than previous places, but the guy is a proven home run shot at several locations. It's going to take that type of hire to get this thing turned around very quickly if we go through another hire though don't we all agree on that? Just how do we go about doing that without looking at someone who's had success in DI WBB already?

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonionette View Post
    it's weird how with WBB those on this board are so tolerant of putrid play year over year, and each year it's the same excuse. Recruiting sucks, energy sucks, coaching sucks, Team plays defense like a high school team. Does she not teach basic footwork? Yes, no one really cares anymore, the is a cash drain on the AD. They really should play in the bunker.
    Whats even weirder----Whats your excuse for being one of Dehoffs biggest lackeys? Why were you so tolerant? Why did you make so many excuses? You road that pony till the program was literally a crater in the ground.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

Default 2017-2018 WBB Season

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonionette View Post
    yep, all this does is set false expectations and disappointments. figure out how to win? this is year four, if Maren hasn't figured out how to win yet... oh never mind... I see no light with this coach, her recruiting, her team looks highschoolish, and topped off with crap ooc.
    I’m with you on your position re: state of NDSU WBB. It’s pathetic and embarrassing and the Men’s program may be going in same direction. The thing is ... NDSU WBB used to be, and should now be, a mid-major power ... never have had that expectation of NDSU MBB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bisonville: Making football coaches out of arm-chair-QB's and jock sniffers for years!
    Today's CAS GASF = ZERO
    RELUCTANT MEMBER of the TOHBTC

And, don’t believe everything you think—jussayin’.

Liberals of BV need not respond to my posts. I don’t need to get any more dumb.

The Bison-Jacks game started pretty well. Very close at half.
    Things have fallen apart in the 3rd quarter. 44-62 end of 3.

no surprise... but a takeawy though.... we can shoot almost 70 percent in the first half and still trail by three... there's so much wrong here

Lose by 20.
    63-83