Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bison 1660 generates 110k in revenue for NDSU athletics

Default Bison 1660 generates 110k in revenue for NDSU athletics

They did a check during the game. If you are not familiar, Bison 1660 , owned by Radio FM Media, has a revenue sharing agreement. Basically 30% of all advertising revenue goes straight to our athletic department. Fans should want to see the station do well because it's success benefits us.

Hope this number continues to grow because with budget cuts and the rest of the Conference getting more competitive, revenue is everything. The station is only a year old but we still need to get the word out.

If you are not familiar, Bison 1660 AM or 92.7 FM has 2 daily talk shows from 11-1 and 4-6. They air extended pre game shows (Bison tailgate show), live football, basketball, baseball, volleyball, and softball games plus weekly coaches shows, press conferences, etc.

If you live outside of Fargo you can listen live on the Bison 1660 mobile app or on Bison1660.com

If you want to support NDSU athletics, listen to the shows, download the mobile app, spread the word, or flat out advertise with them.

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Default Re: Bison 1660 generates 110k in revenue for NDSU athletics

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    They did a check during the game. If you are not familiar, Bison 1660 , owned by Radio FM Media, has a revenue sharing agreement. Basically 30% of all advertising revenue goes straight to our athletic department. Fans should want to see the station do well because it's success benefits us.

Hope this number continues to grow because with budget cuts and the rest of the Conference getting more competitive, revenue is everything. The station is only a year old but we still need to get the word out.

If you are not familiar, Bison 1660 AM or 92.7 FM has 2 daily talk shows from 11-1 and 4-6. They air extended pre game shows (Bison tailgate show), live football, basketball, baseball, volleyball, and softball games plus weekly coaches shows, press conferences, etc.

If you live outside of Fargo you can listen live on the Bison 1660 mobile app or on Bison1660.com

If you want to support NDSU athletics, listen to the shows, download the mobile app, spread the word, or flat out advertise with them.
    $115K, but I like your post.
    Former NDSU intramural athlete.

I have no idea what the going rate is for radio advertising but that number seems a bit low. Hopefully 1660 is getting better ratings now than they were last year at this time so they can charge more for advertising and up that amount going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    I have no idea what the going rate is for radio advertising but that number seems a bit low. Hopefully 1660 is getting better ratings now than they were last year at this time so they can charge more for advertising and up that amount going forward.
    No idea of the costs of advertising. The station is pretty much new. It launched last year on August 1st with only one 2-hour show (the insiders) and then on August 15th, Keith Brakes 2 hour show launched. A month later they were in the ratings period which were pretty low obviously since it was brand new and didn't have much for new content and not many people knew they existed. Next ratings they were worse but that is to be expected since there was no football or basketball.

I hope this ratings period we as Bison fans see an uptick as they have a year in the books and the word is getting out.

I would imagine the Insiders, The Brakedown, and the Saturday morning tailgating show will get some good listeners. The football and basketball games will obviously get some listeners as will the Klieman/Richman/Walseth call in Radio shows. The hardcore fans will listen to the weekly press conferences

It's the rest of the content that is Fox Sports programming like Dan Patrick, Colin Cowherd, and NFL games on Sunday that don't so much for listeners

The station has described it's online numbers as "off the charts", especially on game day

Hope the revenue keeps growing and they can find some more unique local non syndicated programming which will help numbers. Better ratings = more revenue for athletics.

As Bison fans if you get one of those ratings books in the mail it would help the station out by filling it out. And if you don't live in the Fargo Moorhead area, download the mobile app, listen online, or follow them on social media.

Even their social media started at zero last August but its grown from zero to a respectable amount in a year.

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

When I was working at Y94, we billed 100k a month. I'll bet that's doubled in almost 20 years.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

When I was working at Y94, we billed 100k a month. I'll bet that's doubled in almost 20 years.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote Originally Posted by Bison 4 Life View Post
    That's what I mean... $115K is 30% of only about $400k. So either radio advertising is going for about a third of what it was when you were at Y94 or 1660 advertising revenue was very low this first year in comparison.... either way hopefully it takes a significant hike this next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Bison 4 Life View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    That's what I mean... $115K is 30% of only about $400k. So either radio advertising is going for about a third of what it was when you were at Y94 or 1660 advertising revenue was very low this first year in comparison.... either way hopefully it takes a significant hike this next year.
    Comparing a top pop radio station who sat near the top of ratings in an era without the influx of streaming content is kind of apples to oranges. It would be like comparing 107.9 The Fox to Bison 1660 today. One is small and still a bit unknown and the other is huge and established with a massive signal and massive ratings.

Either way there is a ton of room for growth which is great news.

Gotta spread the word!

Or do we only get the add revenue prior and following our two local shows and bison sporting events.
    "Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because it is wrong" E. O. Wilson

"I'm not crazy my mother had me tested". Sheldon Cooper

My boss hates it when I shorten his name to Dick, mainly because his name is Steven.

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    Comparing a top pop radio station who sat near the top of ratings in an era without the influx of streaming content is kind of apples to oranges. It would be like comparing 107.9 The Fox to Bison 1660 today. One is small and still a bit unknown and the other is huge and established with a massive signal and massive ratings.

Either way there is a ton of room for growth which is great news.

Gotta spread the word!
    Right, I missed making that point. We were the #1 FM station at that time. The other station I worked at 1280 The Ticket (remember that?) billed much much lower.

$400k sounds about right for where they sit in the ratings.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯