Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: NCAA Corruption

Default Re: NCAA Corruption

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Moen View Post
    FYI, if you dislike Urban Meyer's ethics, you're really going to hate Mike DiSabato's. I'm not sure what I legally can post on a public forum due to where I work at, but seeing to how he has treated our athletes in the past, I'm not a believer of anything that comes out his mouth.

In regards to the doctor scandal, I'm not fully aware of the situation, mainly because I discredited it as soon as I heard where it came from and what his agenda would be.
    Over 100 people have alledged they were abused, so if you wanted to listen to more than one of them, you’ve got some options.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by BisonNation11 View Post
    This whole thing stinks and Urban slides even lower down my list of people I'd like to see succeed in life. He's always come across as a slime ball to me and this just confirmed it. Whether the woman in question was beaten or not, until proven otherwise, always assume so. Coaches know exactly what they need to do in situations like these and they have enough people around them to guide them as well. Urban doesn't care who he hurts by deleting, forgetting, sweeping things under the rug and so on, as long as he gets his. There was no sincerity at any point in his press conference, the university lacked the balls to stand up for domestic violence in any way and I don't care that Urban wasn't the one who "beat" whoever's wife, he hid the facts or in his case, forgot them. I haven't stayed up to date on all of this, but knee-jerk reaction from what I read/heard last night is this was an epic fail in every way possible.
    The statement I bolded above is very concerning. There are many men who are falsely accused of domestic abuse, especially when divorce and child custody issues are in play. Getting a RO and an incident on file at the PD is a good way to gain the upper hand in a child custody hearing. Very slippery slope here.

bisonp is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Yote 53 View Post
    The statement I bolded above is very concerning. There are many men who are falsely accused of domestic abuse, especially when divorce and child custody issues are in play. Getting a RO and an incident on file at the PD is a good way to gain the upper hand in a child custody hearing. Very slippery slope here.
    Agreed. Guilty until proven innocent should never be acceptable. Not in America. I don't think that's what he meant, but it can come across that way.

In a general legal sense of course. But, this guy had a decade of history and if you’ve seen some of the statements in the report a record of erratic, unpredictable and violent behavior outside of the home as well and zero disciplinary action was taken ever.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    Over 100 people have alledged they were abused, so if you wanted to listen to more than one of them, you’ve got some options.
    I'm not denying whether Richard Strauss abused athletes or not (I'm guessing he did since Russ Hellickson addressed Strauss for being too touchy after being approached by his athletes). The issue I have in regards to the situation is the original "whistleblower" and how he deflected the situation from being on the doctor alone to trying to ruin the reputation of a pretty solid individual (Jim Jordan).
    Last edited by Christopher Moen; 08-23-2018 at 07:49 PM.
    Hail the BISON!!!

As far as the head coach is concerned with one of his employees, I believe this is how it should be handled. I'm not saying fire everyone right away, but they should be away from the team until a proper investigation can determine whether the claim is true or false. I'm very aware of how many false accusations are out there. It makes me sick to hear about it. But if I'm in the situation where an employee of mine comes to me and tells me they're being accused of DV, I'm following the proper channels to make sure the I's are dotted and T's are crossed. And that is all a head coach has to do. Report it. Answer any questions. Hand out any disciplinary actions that are needed, and move on. They don't need to investigate. They don't need to find facts or cover them. Just do your job as the university and NCAA asks you to do it. As most employers would tell you, everyone is replaceable.
    Unofficial Official President and Charter Member of the Paul Miller "Miller Time" Fan Club

If you leave tailgating hungry and thirsty, you're doing it wrong

I am so sick of the Bison already. Win this, win that, blah, blah, blah. I'd really, really like to know how they do it. I swear they have to be the luckiest sob's on the planet. Just sick of this bs, just fed up.

oldmantutters is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

As far as the head coach is concerned with one of his employees, I believe this is how it should be handled. I'm not saying fire everyone right away, but they should be away from the team until a proper investigation can determine whether the claim is true or false. I'm very aware of how many false accusations are out there. It makes me sick to hear about it. But if I'm in the situation where an employee of mine comes to me and tells me they're being accused of DV, I'm following the proper channels to make sure the I's are dotted and T's are crossed. And that is all a head coach has to do. Report it. Answer any questions. Hand out any disciplinary actions that are needed, and move on. They don't need to investigate. They don't need to find facts or cover them. Just do your job as the university and NCAA asks you to do it. As most employers would tell you, everyone is replaceable.
    So the fact that no charges were filed at any time against Smith means nothing to you? I get it, you probably had tour mind made up when the initial report came out and no one is going to change your mind which is fine, mine probably isn't going to change at this point either. A 6 week suspension for hiring Smith seems like an acceptable punishment for what they were able to prove against UM.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

bisonp is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

So I was wrong before, you do believe in "guilty until proven innocent", or at least that's how you want these people treated. I don't believe a free society can function like that.

If credible accusations came forth that he was abusing athletes, sure, then I can understand that. But these accusations had nothing to do with his job. You are going down a very slippery slope.

So let me get this straight. As an employer in the private sector you feel its your responsibility to report domestic violence or take action against an employee when its brought to your attention? Or is this supposed requirement only valid when dealing with public or high profile individuals?
    The other question is why would you feel the need to take action against an employee if they were only accused of DV?
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

Quote Originally Posted by MNLonghorn10 View Post
    I mean, you can't fire your OC when you're in the middle of a title season. That would be foolish.

The guy who beat his wife...his career is ruined. Baylor fired Art Briles for covering rape complaints for the sake of being top 10 in the country. Now he's coaching some team nobody has ever heard of.

Urban's had success wherever hes gone..Utah Florida OSU. Ditching his shithead OC would be the easiest decision he couldve made but he kept him on a leash. UM is a good enough offensive mind that he could make up whatever shortcomings there were.

Not practicing what you preach(or paint on walls) is a gold standard for firing a coach. Especially when it's a domestic dispute and you know about it.

On August 2, 2018 Briles was announced as the head coach of the Estra Guelfi Firenze American Football Team located in Florence, Italy. - Wikipedia
    That is a long fall from grace. Although the local food should be good...
    The weather in Fargo keeps the undesirables out.....

...Which is why I live near the Twin Cities.