Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NCAA Corruption

Default NCAA Corruption

I didn't see a thread on the big news from yesterday. Schools accepting huge payments from shoe companies to pay out to potential recruits. I wonder if this is the final nail in the NCAA coffin. So they'll bust kids for receiving extra meals on campus, block players ability to earn any money outside of school while the schools in question profit handsomely off of their likeness yet will turn a blind eye when shoe companies want to come in with buckets of money to influence potential recruits. How again is this still organization still supposed to be the model for the "student-athlete"?
    Don't matter. FIVE-PEAT!

Default Re: NCAA Corruption

I'm a college athletics purist so I still believe in/prefer the student-athlete model but it's just so hard to regulate these days considering the massive business it's become. I still scoff when I hear the term "exploit" by Jay Bilas and others of his ilk when it comes to how colleges make money off of amateur athletes. No one is forcing the student-athletes to play. And in the case of basketball they can go off to Europe immediately after graduating high school (or before even) and make a nice payday if they'd rather do that than spend a year in college.

The problem in my eyes is the only alternative to the current model is to turn all college sports into club sports. Meaning the players don't have to be students and can be paid accordingly to play wherever they want. Like I said, I'm a purist so maybe I'm just naïve but I wouldn't enjoy going to NDSU football games as much to watch guys who aren't a part of the university outside of the football team and are essentially just mercenaries like NFL players are.

The NCAA definitely has it's shortcomings but I can't think of a better alternative so I'm in the boat that they just have to regulate and discipline the best they can to try to keep a lid on these things. Admittedly, it is an impossible task but the more plots like this that are exposed the better IMO.

You'd think after 130 years or so we'd have figured out this amateurism v. professionalism thing, but here we are pretending that millions and millions of dollars aren't being funneled away from the people actually entertaining us to people who's only real work is in justifying their own parasitic existence.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Here's a fun idea.... actually punish teams who get caught. The sanctions they give out are soft. A few scholarships? A few vacated wins? That doesn't hurt.

Throw the death penalty around like it's candy.
    College of Business Alumnus

Quote Originally Posted by ByeSonBusiness View Post
    Here's a fun idea.... actually punish teams who get caught. The sanctions they give out are soft. A few scholarships? A few vacated wins? That doesn't hurt.

I think their whole rules and regulations need to be re-written. For instance, this is an actual violation that occurred according to the NCAA.

Violation: Three current student-athletes received food in excess of NCAA regulation at a graduation banquet. The three had graduated from the school but returned for an additional season of competition. The players were provided pasta in excess of the permissible amount allowed. Resolution: The three were required to donate $3.83 each (the cost of the pasta serving) to a charity of their choice in order to be reinstated. The department provided rules education to applicable athletics department staff members.
    Why does the NCAA care about pasta consumption but doesn't give two shits about a coach providing payolla to incoming high school recruits?

One thing I read today was pretty interesting. The University of Alabama pays Nick Saban $274K to coach Alabama football. He gets paid a "talent fee" of 6.5 million. paid for by boosters and nike. Nike pays Saban more to coach alabama than the u of alabama pays him. Where should his loyalties lie?
    Don't matter. FIVE-PEAT!

Quote Originally Posted by ByeSonBusiness View Post

That's probably the only thing that would get anyone's attention in the current state, but if Penn State didn't get it they're not going to give it to Louisville, Auburn, USC, Arizona or Oklahoma St.
    Some say it's a backward place. Narrow minds on a narrow way, but I make it a point to say. That that's where I come from.

Quote Originally Posted by BisonAccountant44 View Post
    That's probably the only thing that would get anyone's attention in the current state, but if Penn State didn't get it they're not going to give it to Louisville, Auburn, USC, Arizona or Oklahoma St.
    Maybe the NCAA should change its rules, but that is no reason to give these P5 schools a pass. The NCAA has got to enforce the rules they have now and hammer the crap out of the violators.

95% of college athletes are involved in amateur, non-money-making activities.

Rather than the NCAA changing (except to slim down), maybe the P5 schools should let their basketball and football programs become professional teams that are merely affiliated with the schools. It'd be great for them as far at Title IX, plus they would no longer have to engage in academic fraud because their players would no longer have to be students. Basically, they could just stop living a lie.

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    You'd think after 130 years or so we'd have figured out this amateurism v. professionalism thing, but here we are pretending that millions and millions of dollars aren't being funneled away from the people actually entertaining us to people who's only real work is in justifying their own parasitic existence.
    I am very surprised that you are not all for a entity making or taking a lot of money from the few and spreading it around to the many.

Quote Originally Posted by bisonmike2 View Post
    I think their whole rules and regulations need to be re-written. For instance, this is an actual violation that occurred according to the NCAA.

Why does the NCAA care about pasta consumption but doesn't give two shits about a coach providing payolla to incoming high school recruits?

One thing I read today was pretty interesting. The University of Alabama pays Nick Saban $274K to coach Alabama football. He gets paid a "talent fee" of 6.5 million. paid for by boosters and nike. Nike pays Saban more to coach alabama than the u of alabama pays him. Where should his loyalties lie?
    Lmao pasta... that's absurd.

Quote Originally Posted by BisonAccountant44 View Post
    Its stupid as heck.

Let's cross our fingers.
    College of Business Alumnus

Quote Originally Posted by Bison"FANatic" View Post
    I am very surprised that you are not all for a entity making or taking a lot of money from the few and spreading it around to the many.
    So the NCAA is some sort of capitalistic ideal now? Alan Greenspan would rather burn his first addition Atlas Shrugged than defend that argument.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie