Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: BisonReport Film Review

Default Re: BisonReport Film Review

Quote Originally Posted by CAS4127 View Post
    Questions/comments and looking for your thoughts.

1. I feel as tho Messingham has called some really good games and has diversified our O compared to last year, especially with setting up play action, with emphasis on TEs. Also seems like we have tried a lot of different plays in prep for meat of our schedule. Thoughts?

2. Dunn and Anderson seem to be “finishing” runs a lot better, more physically and taking what’s there better than last year. Thoughts/comments, and where did that come from?

3. Is it possible we are/have been saving Cain as our separation receiver and didn’t want to put that on film before YSU and other upcoming tougher competition who will play more pressure D on WRs similar to what JMU did to us in semi’s last year?

4. Don’t think we have had to play/show all of our D looks yet do to competition, except EWU and our passing D looks. Thoughts/do we have more to show, or is it game-by-game thing?

I have my thoughts/positions on the above, but am quite interested in yours.

Thanks in advance for reply if you have time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The running backs are doing a much better job of sitting back and letting the play develop instead of running up the backside of the oline. If its not there they bounce off tackle or go wide. They have been pretty productive in doing that. Will be interesting in seeing if future opponents figure out how to contain that.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

1. I feel as tho Messingham has called some really good games and has diversified our O compared to last year, especially with setting up play action, with emphasis on TEs. Also seems like we have tried a lot of different plays in prep for meat of our schedule. Thoughts?

2. Dunn and Anderson seem to be “finishing” runs a lot better, more physically and taking what’s there better than last year. Thoughts/comments, and where did that come from?

3. Is it possible we are/have been saving Cain as our separation receiver and didn’t want to put that on film before YSU and other upcoming tougher competition who will play more pressure D on WRs similar to what JMU did to us in semi’s last year?

4. Don’t think we have had to play/show all of our D looks yet do to competition, except EWU and our passing D looks. Thoughts/do we have more to show, or is it game-by-game thing?

I wonder the same on #3.
    "Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because it is wrong" E. O. Wilson

"I'm not crazy my mother had me tested". Sheldon Cooper

My boss hates it when I shorten his name to Dick, mainly because his name is Steven.

Just my opinion but I'd think if Cain was ready to contribute he would've already. Seems like he's now behind RJ, Shep, Williams, and Freeman. I'm hoping that's because he's still picking up the nuances of the offense moreso than he's just not that good. So if it's the former maybe he'll get "unleashed" during the meat of the schedule more by coincidence than by design (since that's hopefully when things start slowing down for him in terms of understanding the offense).

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    Just my opinion but I'd think if Cain was ready to contribute he would've already. Seems like he's now behind RJ, Shep, Williams, and Freeman. I'm hoping that's because he's still picking up the nuances of the offense moreso than he's just not that good. So if it's the former maybe he'll get "unleashed" during the meat of the schedule more by coincidence than by design (since that's hopefully when things start slowing down for him in terms of understanding the offense).
    Cain will see his role increase as the season goes along. Our receiver position takes a while to learn and Freeman has been in the system for way longer. Guys a red shirt junior. Cain has been here for 5 games.

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

C'mon man, you know Bo reads Bisonville.......................
    Who's good at photoshopping? Throw a pic of Bo on Claw's chair and a screenshot of Bisonville on his computer.
    Doctor_Claw.jpg

BisManBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I agree wholeheartedly!

How does Messingham compare to Polasek on opening drive points? I know sample size for Messingham is small and a much easier schedule through that period, but we seem to have done much better with our opening possessions and first half in general compared to Polasek. It seemed to take Polasek a quarter or two to figure out how to take what the defense was willing to give in comparison to Messingham. An average point per quarter side by side comparison would be interesting. I'll put that together later this week if I can find some time. But the eyeball test seems to give Messingham the nod.
    The young in this country do not know enough to be prudent,
    and therefore they attempt the impossible - and achieve it generation after generation - Pearl S. Buck

Quote Originally Posted by Bookem View Post
    C'mon man, you know Bo reads Bisonville.......................
    Who's good at photoshopping? Throw a pic of Bo on Claw's chair and a screenshot of Bisonville on his computer.
    Doctor_Claw.jpg
    Like this?

Quote Originally Posted by TAILG8R View Post
    Like this?
    Golden!!!!

I want to preface this by saying if my comments on the offense so far have lead anyone to believe I think Messingham is a decidedly better coach than Polasek or even really Brent Vigen before him that was not my inent. The offensive coordinator position at NDSU has been the whipping boy spot for fans and the BIC basically since Coach Bohl took over. NDSU's style of conservative offense is devastating when it's working and a point of pride, but when it doens't work it's extremely frustrating to watch as a fan. Doesn't matter who's calling it. I'm not going to use a 5 game sample size against weak competition to try and vilify Polasek.

1. Mess has been great. Exceeded all expectations for me. This, though, is more about Johnnys and Joes than Xs and Os. The tight ends are featured because they're the deepest, most talented group of TEs that NDSU has had in their time at Division I. As far as new plays and passing concepts that'll happen with any new coordinator.

2. Dunn and Anderson are finishing runs differently, that's for sure. That is likely for two reasons. First of all they're both noticeably bigger. It happens every offseason in Kramer's program. Secondly their roles have changed. They've both gone from change of pace speed backs and kick returners to feature backs. Anderson is actually defaulting to the A gap and to running people over maybe too much. His yards per carry would tell you that.

3. Yes and no. Cain is a separation receiver. He's also working his ass off on run plays. It's going to be very difficult for him to overcome Stick's chemistry with RJ, Shep and the TEs. If someone goes down with an injury, though, you could see Cain do very well. As far as keeping him a secret weapon? I can't imagine that's the case. I think it really is a limited understanding of the offense, less chemistry with the QB, and frankly lack of opportunities. They just don't throw the ball that much.

4. I think they've been pretty vanilla on account of getting the new DL assimilated and the difficulty they've had keeping linebackers healthy (also they've been going to win these games by a million any way). As far as looks, I think some of the pressures they tried against MVSU, despite knowing they'd win that game by a million points are what we might see. If they can't get pressure with four, which might be true against better offensive lines, they'll have to move forward with pressure packages.

1 thing to add,

Messingham is (I believe) the most experienced playcaller NDSU has had since going D1