Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Attendance comparison

DePereBisonFan is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Attendance comparison

Yesterday's game against RMU (18,304) had more people than Wyoming hosting conference foe Hawaii (17,796).

I realize Wyoming has lost two games already, but this was their conference opener and they still have a highly regarded QB - even if he isn't looking that great thus far.
    "It's important in this life to dream big" - Brock Jensen during one of Kolpack and Izzo's pregame shows of the 2014 season.

"If you quit now, you quit for the rest of your life" - Chris Board 8/17/16 in the forum article.

MinotBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Attendance comparison

Quote Originally Posted by DePereBisonFan View Post
    Yesterday's game against RMU (18,304) had more people than Wyoming hosting conference foe Hawaii (17,796).

I realize Wyoming has lost two games already, but this was their conference opener and they still have a highly regarded QB - even if he isn't looking that great thus far.
    And it was a rather entertaining game in the second half, with Wyoming pulling it out in OT.

Look at the population difference between Fargo/red river valley and Laramie/Cheyenne. I would think that potentially has something to do with it. Still lame from them though.

Eastern foothills of the turtle mountains.

Quote Originally Posted by acf2 View Post
    Look at the population difference between Fargo/red river valley and Laramie/Cheyenne. I would think that potentially has something to do with it. Still lame from them though.
    That's the nice thing about Laramie. When no one goes to the games they use the actual population as an excuse. When you tell someone Laramie is in the middle of nowhere they always respond yeah but it's right by Fort Collins.

Lardsin must go!

Quote Originally Posted by scottietohottie View Post
    That's the nice thing about Laramie. When no one goes to the games they use the actual population as an excuse. When you tell someone Laramie is in the middle of nowhere they always respond yeah but it's right by Fort Collins.
    I didn't realize it is only 65 miles from Ft. Collins to Laramie.

Wyoming also has one college football team in the entire state. I don't think their junior colleges even field football teams.
    It's OK to not be OK.

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by acf2 View Post
    Many universities are in smaller towns and cities and people travel to them. Most of the people going to the games are outside of the metro of the game itself. Bloomington and Lafayette are a little bigger, but many of the people going to those games are from metro areas 1-4 hours away. The same is true to some extent for Fargo as well. The most extreme example I can think of is Penn State. State College population is only 40k, and I imagine a lot of that is Penn State employees (9k employees per Wikipedia). Harrisburg is 90 minutes away, Pittsburgh 2.5 hours and Philly 3+ hours. The attendance at their games have nothing to do with the population of the town where the school is located.

Green1 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    Many universities are in smaller towns and cities and people travel to them. Most of the people going to the games are outside of the metro of the game itself. Bloomington and Lafayette are a little bigger, but many of the people going to those games are from metro areas 1-4 hours away. The same is true to some extent for Fargo as well. The most extreme example I can think of is Penn State. State College population is only 40k, and I imagine a lot of that is Penn State employees (9k employees per Wikipedia). Harrisburg is 90 minutes away, Pittsburgh 2.5 hours and Philly 3+ hours. The attendance at their games have nothing to do with the population of the town where the school is located.

Tell that to the SDSU rubes. According to them, Fargo's size gives us an unfair advantage in attendance. Even though SF is only an hour away.

Quote Originally Posted by Green1 View Post
    Tell that to the SDSU rubes. According to them, Fargo's size gives us an unfair advantage in attendance. Even though SF is only an hour away.
    The honest answer to why NDSU has an unfair advantage in attendance has to do with the fact that the Bison actually have die-hard fans.

Most SDSU fans are fair-weathered and probably cheer on the Jackrabbits as their secondary team behind Nebraska.
    Hail the BISON!!!

Green1 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Moen View Post
    The honest answer to why NDSU has an unfair advantage in attendance has to do with the fact that the Bison actually have die-hard fans.

Most SDSU fans are fair-weathered and probably cheer on the Jackrabbits as their secondary team behind Nebraska.

I agree with everything in this post except for the use of the word "unfair" .