Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Bison Experiences with your Dad/Mom?

Default Re: Favorite Bison Experiences with your Dad/Mom?

September 16, 2007.......Bison 41 Sam Houston State 38 .....arguably one of the most exciting and greatest games ever played at the Fargodome. Walker to Heckendorf for a TD with 7 sec left. I'm there with my Dad, who was 90 yrs. old. On the way home, he said that was the best game, most exciting game he had ever been to and he had watched alot of football. Two months later, alone in his hospital room, he and I talked about that game and other things. That evening he passed away.

The NDSU vs Illnois St championship game. We didn't go down to Frisco but watching it with Dad in those nauseatingly exciting last minutes was great. Especially when he shouted a deep barrel-chested "YES!!" on the winning drive. Miss you Dad.

I don't have any memories of NDSU athletics with my mom or dad but I know that my kids have been having a great time when they go with me.

My 7 year old has started asking if we can go to every game. Such a great time to bond with son or daughter.

Go Bison!

Dewey

1973 We are playing at SDSU. There stadium consisted of one section of bleachers may be 10 rows high. I dont think there were bleachers on the visiting side. I remember running out on the field and there were very few fans their. I remember saying to no one in particular "nice crowd".

We are about half the way thru warm ups and somebody says ---Long isnt that your mom over there? Sure as shit there she was. She had driven all the way from La Crosse WI by herself to watch us play. After the game my mom pulls her car up to to where the team bus was and opens her trunk.
    She had meat loaf sandwiches, corned beef sandwiches and many many fried chickens. She feed the whole team and as we got ready to leave she gives me a 12 pack of beer to take on the bus.

One other time she drove all the way to Fargo to watch me practice. After wards we had dinner and then she drove back getting there in time for work the next day.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

1973 we are playing UNI. The nose tackle was leading the nation in sacks. After the game I find out my dad was sitting next to the nose tackles father. Before the game his dad was bragging his kid up to the point my dad couldnt take it anymore and bet him a 100 bucks his kid wouldnt get a sack period. The guy jumped on the bet. Well he didnt get a sack and while he was paying my dad he asks who the heck was NDSUs center. My dad took his money and said---thats my son and walked away .
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

The whole 2011 season with my grandson Lennon before he passed away.
    From the movie THE PROGRAM

Regent Chairman: This is not a football vocational school. It's an institute for higher learning.
    Coach Winters: Yeah, but when was the last time 80,000 people showed up to watch a kid do a damn chemistry experiment? Why don't you stick the bow-tie up your ass?

LikeMothers is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by 56BISON73 View Post
    1973 We are playing at SDSU. There stadium consisted of one section of bleachers may be 10 rows high. I dont think there were bleachers on the visiting side. I remember running out on the field and there were very few fans their. I remember saying to no one in particular "nice crowd".

We are about half the way thru warm ups and somebody says ---Long isnt that your mom over there? Sure as shit there she was. She had driven all the way from La Crosse WI by herself to watch us play. After the game my mom pulls her car up to to where the team bus was and opens her trunk.
    She had meat loaf sandwiches, corned beef sandwiches and many many fried chickens. She feed the whole team and as we got ready to leave she gives me a 12 pack of beer to take on the bus.

One other time she drove all the way to Fargo to watch me practice. After wards we had dinner and then she drove back getting there in time for work the next day.
    Plus significant portions of I-94 and I-90 were not done yet.

PL: Minor correction on SDSU's stadium in 1973. The west side concrete "bleachers" that were just replaced a couple years ago, were the same bleachers in place in 1973 and had been constructed in the early 1960s. I think they were 20-25 rows high and the official seating (there was a plaque attached to the backside) was 10,000. Crowds were often 2,000 to 3000 but sometimes the crowds were smaller and sometimes larger. I do not have a great recollection of that game but I would have been there (I know that because I worked on the stats crew in the press box for football games) and watched my cousin, a freshman running back for the Bison

Great story about your mom, especially the 12 pack for the trip home. Got a good chuckle out of that.
    Go Jackrabbits!

My mother is a small, sweet, polite woman who could care less about sports... except for the Bison. She is one of the most rabid fans you will ever meet but one of the last people you would expect to be. My favorite Bison memory with either of my parents was the Cal-Poly game. My brothers and me lived right next to the T lot, so on the drive home from whatever we did that night, Dad parked there so we could all listen to the end of the game before they dropped us off. You all know what happened next. Walker to Heckendorf. Ballgame. And here goes Mom jumping out of the pickup running in circles in the T-lot going nuts screaming "Yes!!! Go Bison!!!" It was both awesome and hilarious and I'll never forget it as long as I live.

Quote Originally Posted by JackJD View Post
    PL: Minor correction on SDSU's stadium in 1973. The west side concrete "bleachers" that were just replaced a couple years ago, were the same bleachers in place in 1973 and had been constructed in the early 1960s. I think they were 20-25 rows high and the official seating (there was a plaque attached to the backside) was 10,000. Crowds were often 2,000 to 3000 but sometimes the crowds were smaller and sometimes larger. I do not have a great recollection of that game but I would have been there (I know that because I worked on the stats crew in the press box for football games) and watched my cousin, a freshman running back for the Bison

Great story about your mom, especially the 12 pack for the trip home. Got a good chuckle out of that.
    Concrete bleachers I thought that was at Augie. So they both had them. Thanks for the correction.

You guys had a D-lineman nose guard by the name of Gary Lawrence? Was a camp kid with the Vikings I think. 6-5 ? Big kid. Coaches were worried all week that it was going to be a mismatch so they had me practice against Sanford Quale all week. They kept expecting me to get physical and bumpheads with Sanford which was stupid because Sanford was at least 6-5 / 6-6. I just kept telling coach dont worry I will get it figured out. And I did. It was all about quickness and getting position. Get in low, close , Wall him off while getting him caught up in the wash and then tip him over. Drive him Down the LOS not away from it. Use your angles. If he plays in the gap we would double team him off the LOS then the guard or myself would peel off and pick up the LB depending on which way the play went. We did that on the fly with no coaching in put.
    We won. The end.

Who was the freshman running back? Dave Roby?

Oh almost forgot this----After the game when we are shaking hands etc etc Lawrence tells me---you really didnt have that a good game. I asked--how many tackles you get. The look on his face was priceless.

Then I met up with mom and all she could say was---WOW that kid was big. All I could say was--Yes he was.
    Last edited by 56BISON73; 09-22-2017 at 11:26 AM.