Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Bison Experiences with your Dad/Mom?

Default Re: Favorite Bison Experiences with your Dad/Mom?

At Dacotah Field went to many games irregardless of weather. My dad would always hand me his thermos before walking into the game and have me say, "It's hot chocolate" if asked. Funny thing is when I got into the game I never got to have any hot chocolate from the thermos.

First Frisco game

LikeMothers is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by 56BISON73 View Post
    Who was the freshman running back? Dave Roby?
    As a Roby I bet he was from Watertown.

Quote Originally Posted by Strategery View Post
    My mother is a small, sweet, polite woman who could care less about sports... except for the Bison. She is one of the most rabid fans you will ever meet but one of the last people you would expect to be. My favorite Bison memory with either of my parents was the Cal-Poly game. My brothers and me lived right next to the T lot, so on the drive home from whatever we did that night, Dad parked there so we could all listen to the end of the game before they dropped us off. You all know what happened next. Walker to Heckendorf. Ballgame. And here goes Mom jumping out of the pickup running in circles in the T-lot going nuts screaming "Yes!!! Go Bison!!!" It was both awesome and hilarious and I'll never forget it as long as I live.
    I like it!!!!!!
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

Unlike some I am still privileged to go to all home Bison games with my Father, and now my Mother too. That said, I think my favorite memory is how we started, tailgating out in the grass back when the west lot was grass, and had trees between it and the asphalt in the back of my S10, with a lil-weber, and a couple of chairs. That was where the decision to get more Bison gear, and at least one Bison tent was hatched. It was also in and around the 2009-2010 seasons. We went to every game regardless, and sat through the whole thing. That experience makes sitting through games like Mississippi Valley State easy - and enjoyable.

Today, the retirees in the family roll into the tail gate line Friday morning as the sun comes up wit BAV2, and we have a lot of Bison Gear. As a family we've been to every Bison FCS Championship game, and every FBS game since Colorado. This year the BAV2 is going to hit every away game too.

It might be better now, the football sure is. But sitting on the tailgate of my S10 in the often muddy field waiting to go to a game we hoped we'd win, and frequently didn't will stick with me. I don't think it makes me a better fan, but it sure helps make me appreciate where the Bison are, and where my family is today

80ALUM is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

My dad was a graduate of NDSU and loved Bison footall. My first weekend home as a freshman he asked if I had learned the words to the "Alma Mater" yet. I said no and every visit home after that he would ask if I knew the words yet. He would walk around the house singing it. I always try to be in the stands for the playing of the "Alma Mater " so I can sing along. I get emotional every time.

Even though my daughter is only 4 I already have a ton of great memories we have shared involving Bison football games. Heck she even asked that her 4th birthday be Bison themed. But to be honest my favorite daddy daughter Bison moment didn't happen on game day. My daughter and I were walking in to church and she was wearing her Bison hoodie when a woman walked up and said "that's a nice sweater!" I say to my daughter "What do we say?" thinking I was prompting her to say "Thank you". Without missing a beat my daughter puts up two horns \m/ and says "Go BISON!" The woman grinned ear to ear and I have never been prouder haha.

Quote Originally Posted by LikeMothers View Post
    As a Roby I bet he was from Watertown.
    That's correct.
    Go Jackrabbits!

The first Frisco championship game. My mom and dad attended and had a blast. As a retired farmer, my Dad was trying to get his fingers to flash the "horns". During Friday's pep rally he couldn't his fingers down and was flashing a heil Hitler like signal, but he kept trying. We were all ROTFL. Then during tailgating, he kept working on it. Finally, just before kickoff, he successfully flashed the horns. He beamed ear to ear. This March he passed away of a heart attack. However that same day I received a hand written note from him, talking about Bison football. He was buried in a bison shirt with a bison hat on the side. The service insert had the law of the prairie "The Herd" lyrics. His spirit endures!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Being a farm kid from a small town in western ND and going into the BSA as a 10 year old with my dad and then going to see Jeff Bentrim and the boys crush the bunnies at Dacotah field. I was hooked.