Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite Bison Experiences with your Dad/Mom?

Default Favorite Bison Experiences with your Dad/Mom?

This time of year, I get a lot of reminders of my father's passing a few years ago, and many of them are Bison Football related. Got another one today in the posting from BattleBorn (and I'm sorry for your loss.) That post reminded me that a lot of people seem to have stories about great times they had with their parents at Bison games. Here's mine. Let's hear yours!

Dad was a huge Bison fan. He took me to my first-ever Bison football game when I was about 5. When I saw the teams warming up, I was convinced we were watching the Green Bay Packers, given the Bison's green-on-yellow uniforms. I remember proudly telling my dad I was cheering for those guys in the white shirts (the Morningside Maroon Chiefs), because I knew no self-respecting Vikings fan would ever support the Packers. Dad got a big laugh, explained to me that the guys in green were the guys we cheered for on the radio, and got a new story to tell his friends about how he had to "convert" his son. I'll never forget freezing our butts in the north stands at Dacotah Field, with chilled "hot chocolate" and vendor-delivered hot dogs. Great times.

Default Re: Favorite Bison Experiences with your Dad/Mom?

Kansas State game. It was just a father/son trip. Such a great day.

My dad introduced be to Bison football. I remember watching the the championship game in 1990 and knowing then I would be a Bison fan for life. Add a few trips to Dakotah Field as a midonly solidified my loyalty. I anways call my dad after every game to talk about the good and bad of what we just saw. The best moment was after the first FCS Championship. I was in Friaco, he was back in North Dakota. This conversation was different then all the others. There was ao much joy and celebration and emotion in our conversation and celebration, it was awesome! It took me back to that day in 1990 watchhing the Bison win a championship. Amazing experience!!
    "North Dakota State is a big part of the fabric of college football right now."
    "North Dakota State is alive on the college football map."
    -Lee Fitting ESPN

BFKasper14 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I'll never forget the 1st D1 championship game. At the end of the game he said his dad would have been in shock to see how well NDSU has done. It was the first time I've seen my dad get more than a little emotional. Standing down on the field with him and our good family friends after all the championship games is right up there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    One does not simply walk into the FARGODOME...

My parents aren't big sports fans. I've taken both of them to a game or two, but that's about their entire exposure. This Saturday though will be a big one for me as the dad. I'm taking my 2 year old to his first game just the two of us!
    Some say it's a backward place. Narrow minds on a narrow way, but I make it a point to say. That that's where I come from.

Dad took me and my sister on a bus trip to Omaha to see the Bison play them in the quarterfinals(?) in like 2000. That was pretty neat.
    College of Business Alumnus

BattleBorn is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Beautiful thread! I think my favorite memory is the YSU game two years ago. The day started with dad and I having an early beer in the backyard. It progressed to setting up the tailgating tent, and developed into a full on party with my best friends, my dog, dad, mom (they're divorced), cousins, their parents and their kids. We grilled dozens of brats and burgers and side dishes just seemed to appear out of nowhere. I don't know where all the food came from, but it was amazing. At the end of the evening the Bison came from behind to win, preserving home field for the playoffs.

We may have consumed a few beers, and we all had an amazing day with friends and family. My dad introduced me to Bison football, and it became a way for our extended family to party together.

Took my Dad with us to the Iowa game. I always told him "all four quarters" when watching Bison games, it takes all four quarters if you want to beat the Bison. The look on his face when the ball went through the uprights and the entire NDSU section erupted was pretty awesome. Could tell he was thinking he couldn't believe it and the Bison had done it again. Pretty sweet to share that moment of Bison magic. When he got home he collected a case of beer from a friend who was an Iowa fan who he bet that the Bison would win straight up.

Mom: Went down for both of the Minnesota games in '06/'07. In '07, I remember meeting up with many of my mom's friends for tailgating before hand, help leading the cheers up in the corner of the second deck (my brother and I have voices that really carry) and after the game was the icing on the cake. Had a minivan and mom was driving through downtown. Brother and I in the backseats with both sliding doors open, blaring Thunderstruck and throwing anyone and everyone the horns. It was great getting responses from Bison fans but the responses from Goopher fans were the best. Felt like we owned that town that night. It was awesome to watch the boys take it them, especially since I went to school with Roehl and stole the show.

Dad: Finally convinced my dad to go down to Frisco for the last championship. Brought our wives and drove down two days before. Brought him to all the bars and we had some great food. I was playing it cool with tickets because we really didn't care where we sat and I knew something would open up last minute to get a deal. Ended up scoring 2nd row, 40 yard line behind the JSU bench. Had signs made (which made it into Bison Illustrated) and thoroughly enjoyed game. I remember making a video the night before in our friend's RV imitating "Da Bulls" guy from SNL. Watching my dad enjoy the game and celebrating afterwards was awesome. I'm really glad he decided to go. We really enjoy flying NDSU flags so that has us pretty pumped for every game. So if anyone finds any obscure NDSU flags, let me know as we're always looking to expand our collection.
    Unofficial Official President and Charter Member of the Paul Miller "Miller Time" Fan Club

If you leave tailgating hungry and thirsty, you're doing it wrong

I am so sick of the Bison already. Win this, win that, blah, blah, blah. I'd really, really like to know how they do it. I swear they have to be the luckiest sob's on the planet. Just sick of this bs, just fed up.

cbline is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Mom and Dad were both big Bison fans. Dad died in 1990. Mom and I started with season tickets when the Dome opened. After 4 sons in high school football and many college games, she sure knew her football. She died in 2000. I sure wish the two of them could have seen the success of the Bison!