Page 28 of 50 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 FBS scores/updates

Default Re: 2017 FBS scores/updates

Quote Originally Posted by BisonTeacher View Post
    I thought there was a a gopher bowl game a few years back where they were going to lose money cuz they couldn't sell tickets. I think the big 10 covers part of their costs but not all bowl teams are from the big ten. I think they have to commit to paying for so many tickets whether they sell them or not. So there are some up front costs to the schools. I could be wrong though.
    There was a time when a school was responsible for selling all of there allotment. Many schools lost money on that. Now a days schools can negotiate the number of tickets they will take. Plus if there are any unsold tickets the conference eats the costs as all of the bowl money is now pooled an then doled out .

The biggest factor in schools losing money is the number of people they take on the trip. Cheerleaders, the band, family, faculty etc etc etc.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

Quote Originally Posted by ByeSonBusiness View Post
    That sounds awful. Don't ruin the best regular season in sports.

6 or 8 would be fine. Any more than that and it gets watered down bigly.
    Never understood that logic. Especially with injury issues etc. Shouldn't the champion be determined by who had a great regular season and who can run the gauntlet of a playoff like every other real college sport?

Plug your logic into NCAA men's basketball.
    Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time. -Max McGee

“I really thought you had to run the football to control the game,” Erhardt once said. “You had to throw the football to score but had to run the football to win.” - Ron Erhardt

Sam Darnold looks like a perfect fit for the Browns

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep. He didnt do much for me all year but has been touted a top quarterback this year.

Default 2017 FBS scores/updates

Quote Originally Posted by MNLonghorn10 View Post
    Yep. He didnt do much for me all year but has been touted a top quarterback this year.
    I believe he’s too raw for pro ball right now. Another season at USC would a smart move if immediate money isn’t important to him.

The same thing can be said for Wyoming’s Josh Allen.

Rosen and Mayfield are as ready for the NFL as any QB in this draft are going to get. I also feel Rudolph stands a decent chance at making it in the NFL while Lamar Jackson is a pretty interesting wild card. I feel he can pull a Russell Wilson/Dak Prescott mid-round surprise for a team willing to select him.

Last edited by Christopher Moen; 12-30-2017 at 05:05 PM.
    Hail the BISON!!!

Quote Originally Posted by oldmantutters View Post
    No one asked so I'll share anyway, I think 8 is a good number. 4 is ridiculous if you are gonna have 5 "power" conferences. With so many of every teams games being conference games, add in every (contending) team scheduling at least one cupcake, and you can have an idea of how teams stack up but you never really know. Is there such a disparity across the P5 that one conference deserves 2 teams while two of the other conferences don't get a team in?

Go to eight all of the P5s will have at least one team in and then a G5 might get a sniff every once in a while. Or go the other way, keep it 4 and tell the G5s to pound sand.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
    Just for fun, here's my dream scenario for this year:

................Opening Round (Dec. 2)...............Sub-Quarterfinals (Dec. 9)..................Quarters (Dec. 16)........Semis (Dec. 30).............Championship

G5 #3 Fla. Atlantic vs. G5 "AL" Memphis--------> @ G5 #2 Boise State-----------------> @ #1 Clemson--------->Sugar Bowl

.................................................. .................................................. ............#4 Ohio State vs. #5 USC-----> Sugar Bowl

G5 #4 Toledo vs. G5 #5 **Appy State----------> @ G5 #1 Cent. Fla.-----------------> @ #2 Oklahoma---------> Rose Bowl

P5 "AL#1" Alabama vs. P5 "AL#2" Penn State---> @ P5 "AL#3" Wisconsin-----------> @ #3 Georgia------------> Rose Bowl

(The G5 teams were "seeded" based on the Sagarin rankings.)
    ** Sun Belt has no championship game, so this could've been Troy.

A. The regular season remains the same for the P5 schools.
    B. The G5 conferences would have to move up their championship game one week.
    C. All FBS teams have a chance to win the championship.
    D. The true contenders would only add one game to their schedule.
    E. Non-division winners would have to run the gauntlet by playing 17 games to win it all
    F. The four losers in the quarters would be assigned a New Year's bowl game, with the likely G5 teams playing each other for a "G5 Title"
    G. All opening round and Sub-Quarterfinal losers will be eligible to play in a bowl game.

Criteria for creating the above bracket:

1. All G5 Conferences hold their championship game on Thanksgiving weekend.
    2. All P5 Conferences keep playing their championship game on the first weekend in December.
    3. All Conference champions get an "Automatic Bid" to the tournament, just like FCS.
    4. The Top 5 seeds (Read "P5 conference champ") will get a bye to the Quarterfinals.
    5. The #6 and #7 seeds (Read "G5's top 2 teams") will get a bye to the Sub-Quarterfinals.
    6. The #8-10 seeds will play opening round games during the 1st weekend in December.
    7. There will be 3 "At Large Bids" in the opening round, two P5 teams and one G5 team.
    8. An additional "At Large Bid" to the Sub-Quarterfinals will be given to the highest rated LOSER of a conference championship game.
    9. In "theory", the bracket shall pit P5 teams against P5 teams and G5 teams against G5 teams in the first two rounds.
    10. The two G5 sub-brackets will feed into the Top 2 seeds.
    11. The one P5 sub-bracket will feed into the #3 seed.
    12. All games through the Quarterfinals will be hosted by the higher seed.
    13. The Final Four will be like it currently is with two major bowl games being the Semifinals.

Remember, this is my dream scenario. It would be football's equivalent to "March Madness". Cinderella is given a chance, but the power teams would have all the advantages to advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Moen View Post
    I believe he’s too ripe for pro ball right now. Another season at USC would a smart move if immediate money isn’t important to him.

The same thing can be said for Wyoming’s Josh Allen.

Rosen and Mayfield are as ready for the NFL as any QB in this draft are going to get. I also feel Rudolph stands a decent chance at making it in the NFL while Lamar Jackson is a pretty interesting wild card. I feel he can pull a Russell Wilson/Dak Prescott mid-round surprise for a team willing to select him.

FWIW, Kirk Herbstreit agrees with you regarding Darnold. He says another year's experience would benefit him. Who did he use as an example?....

...Carson Wentz
    Here's to alcohol, the cause of—and solution to—all life's problems. (Homer Simpson)

Couple of really good ones winding down right now. Poor Cyclones. Seems like a bad call to me.

bisonp is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

B1G having a great bowl season. PAC-12, not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by WhoRepsTheLurker View Post
    Couple of really good ones winding down right now. Poor Cyclones. Seems like a bad call to me.
    sucks that nobody cares about these games and theyre all a joke.