Page 35 of 37 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 LastLast

Thread: Bison Injuries

BattleBorn is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Bison Injuries

I've wondered if the new turf has anything to do with the twist injuries. Seems like there are more, but I don't have stats to back it up. Also, I've never played on the new stuff, so what would I know? Oh, except it supposedly causes cancer
    Co-founder of the Bluegrass Bison crew, Kev’s bag holder.

Quote Originally Posted by thebigund View Post
    Athletes aren't getting enough rest these days. Has anyone been asking taboo questions of Kramer and his program? I've noticed alot of ACLs for NDSU. Seems to be an inordinate amount. Could be due to playing 15 games a year. Could be that the SC staff needs to tweak something.
    I know from personal experience how Coach Kramer trains his athletes. Rest isn't an issue as the workouts are extremely intense, but short. His methods are not like the crap that got Iowa in trouble a few years back.
    Hail the BISON!!!

thebigund is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by BattleBorn View Post
    I've wondered if the new turf has anything to do with the twist injuries. Seems like there are more, but I don't have stats to back it up. Also, I've never played on the new stuff, so what would I know? Oh, except it supposedly causes cancer
    We have the exact same turf. I haven't noticed more non contact injuries since the change from the old school astro turf. IMO the number one culprit is lack of recovery time. There aren't enough extended rest periods where guys can really take it easy and recover. Programs are too scared that someone else will be working while they are resting. Same with the players. They're told all their life that they need to constantly be training to compete.

It reminds me of Bill Russell. I saw a conversation he had with Dwight Howard where he was telling him the most important thing he can do is take at least one month off during the off season. Howard kind of blew him off saying that things have changed and he needs to constantly be working on his game and getting into better shape to reach his potential. You see it in the NFL today. Guys just aren't giving themselves an off season because they can't afford it. It's a real catch 22.

ZHerd is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Only in California

This new stuff feels so much more forgiving than the old. Also it doesn't lock your foot in place the way the old carpet did.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Moen View Post
    I know from personal experience how Coach Kramer trains his athletes. Rest isn't an issue as the workouts are extremely intense, but short. His methods are not like the crap that got Iowa in trouble a few years back.
    Guys aren't getting extended rest periods in the off season though are they? Like 1 month off.

wagsabison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Guys aren't getting extended rest periods in the off season though are they? Like 1 month off.
    I don't know what their schedule is but I'd assume they aren't getting 1-month off to do nothing. They would still have some sort of workouts, just tapered down.

Quote Originally Posted by wagsabison View Post
    I don't know what their schedule is but I'd assume they aren't getting 1-month off to do nothing. They would still have some sort of workouts, just tapered down.
    1 month of yoga would be smart. No lifting. No cutting. No sprinting. No jumping.

BisManBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

If it were a turf issue, wouldn't we also see a lot of opposing players going down with knee injuries too? Now if its the turf on the practice field, that's a different issue, if they are different turfs that is.
    The young in this country do not know enough to be prudent,
    and therefore they attempt the impossible - and achieve it generation after generation - Pearl S. Buck

I don't know if football uses a periodization chart for training like we do in wrestling, which doesn't have an offseason, but there is a method to the madness. In our scenario, we did two a days Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. Wednesday was only morning lifts and Saturday was the f'n incline (sorry, I hate that thing - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manitou_Incline). Sunday was a rest day.

This routine was all year, but the intensity was scheduled around our competition for each Olympic quad (four year period). The further away we were from major events such as Nationals, World Team Trials, World Cup and World Championships, the higher the intensity. The closer to each of those events, the intensity was tapered off quite a bit. The intensity also increased each year we got closer to the final year in the Olympic Quad.

With that said, I'm not sure how much rest you think athletes need. We had an unwritten rule that for every day off, it took three to four days of training to recover from that missed day. Also, the Russians think we're insane with our methodology, especially with our collegiate wrestling.
    Hail the BISON!!!