Thread: 2017 Senior World Championships

Default 2017 Senior World Championships

Finally, we're World Champions!!! Six medals (2 Gold, 2 Silver and 2 Bronze) to beat Russia by one point in Freestyle.

Women also finished in a tie for second. In Greco-Roman, we need a few guys to retire as one total point and tied for 30th is beyond terrible.

Back to Freestyle, the Snyder-Sadulaev was as advertised with Kyle getting the deciding takedown with 20 seconds left. That match broke the team tie-breaking in points and our first Freestyle Team World Championship since 1995 (we had a one in Greco-Roman in 2007).
    Hail the BISON!!!

Tony Almeida is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: 2017 Senior World Championships

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Moen View Post
    Finally, we're World Champions!!! Six medals (2 Gold, 2 Silver and 2 Bronze) to beat Russia by one point in Freestyle.

Women also finished in a tie for second. In Greco-Roman, we need a few guys to retire as one total point and tied for 30th is beyond terrible.

Back to Freestyle, the Snyder-Sadulaev was as advertised with Kyle getting the deciding takedown with 20 seconds left. That match broke the team tie-breaking in points and our first Freestyle Team World Championship since 1995 (we had a one in Greco-Roman in 2007).
    Good to hear!
    What's wrong with the Greco-Roman team? Tied for 30th?? There can't be much more than 30 teams?

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Almeida View Post
    Good to hear!
    What's wrong with the Greco-Roman team? Tied for 30th?? There can't be much more than 30 teams?
    Most of them are not World-Class athletes. Until they start getting DI athletes (Zillmer and Gabe Dean are an excellent start) back in the program, they're going to continue to struggle with guys that are just happy to make them team.

Right now, we're doing the equivalent of trying to win the Super Bowl with DIII athletes.

I know it's not a popular idea, but the first things I would do is end the Northern Michigan program and invest in a house near Germany's OTC. I would send guys out there on a rotation to train in Germany and participate in as many tournaments as possible.

The good news though, is our younger pipeline has some studs coming along. Just need a better development system to create depth with these kids so when they're done being DI athletes, they'll take Greco-Roman more serious and not just focus being a marginal (might be close to making top-three) freestyle athlete.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hail the BISON!!!

Tony Almeida is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Moen View Post
    Most of them are not World-Class athletes. Until they start getting DI athletes (Zillmer and Gabe Dean are an excellent start) back in the program, they're going to continue to struggle with guys that are just happy to make them team.

Right now, we're doing the equivalent of trying to win the Super Bowl with DIII athletes.

I know it's not a popular idea, but the first things I would do is end the Northern Michigan program and invest in a house near Germany's OTC. I would send guys out there on a rotation to train in Germany and participate in as many tournaments as possible.

The good news though, is our younger pipeline has some studs coming along. Just need a better development system to create depth with these kids so when they're done being DI athletes, they'll take Greco-Roman more serious and not just focus being a marginal (might be close to making top-three) freestyle athlete.
    Or move it to Fargo...