Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Eastern Washington pregame thread

Default Re: Eastern Washington pregame thread

As long as Austin Richard avoids the untimely PF penalties, I like our chances on Douche-Canoe Field.
    My Mom yells louder than your Mom.

Hopefully the refs will let our lineman block and our defense touch their QB without throwing flags.

Quote Originally Posted by EC8CH View Post
    Hopefully the refs will let our lineman block and our defense touch their QB without throwing flags.
    At least that team of MVFC officials were consistent last year when involving NDSU games. It's too bad their consistency involved being bad. Don't forget the targeting call involving Grimsley that got overruled.

The replay booth earned their paycheck that game.
    Hail the BISON!!!

Herd is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonator98 View Post
    Agreed. Hopefully Entz learned a few things from last years defensive strategy about what not to do! Would be nice to have several long TD drives from the offense.
    What was the defensive strategy that failed last year? and, Stop them from getting TD doesn't count.

EWU just really executed well, I don't know how you stop that with strategy. We need to be more physical on the LOS with WRs, but where did that get us last year? Also need to pressure the QB, but they got rid of the ball quick. We tried more in coverage, with a 3 man rush, and that didn't work. Lots of things were tried throughout the game last year, with little success.

What is that all important strategy for 2017? Help me out . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Herd View Post
    What was the defensive strategy that failed last year? and, Stop them from getting TD doesn't count.

EWU just really executed well, I don't know how you stop that with strategy. We need to be more physical on the LOS with WRs, but where did that get us last year? Also need to pressure the QB, but they got rid of the ball quick. We tried more in coverage, with a 3 man rush, and that didn't work. Lots of things were tried throughout the game last year, with little success.

Keep their QB in the pocket. Don't allow so many big plays when he breaks contain from a three man rush. Scramble drills killed us last year.

When NDSU rushed at least four early on during the game, they were more successful stopping EWU. EWU had six possessions in the first half. Two ended up in touchdowns (includes one right before the half). One ended up in a pick (this was after a successful onside kick). The other three were punts, including two, three and out. In the second half, the only stops were DeLuca's pick-six and a miss FG attempt to end regulation.

The frustrating part was EWU's OL was pretty much all new players and the Bison didn't challenge them much in the second half by rushing three. To NDSU's credit though, they still pressured Gubrud with the three-man rush.

Also, it will be interesting to see if EWU can win just about every darn 50/50 ball like they did last year. Statistically, that should never happen.
    Hail the BISON!!!

wagsabison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Moen View Post
    When NDSU rushed at least four early on during the game, they were more successful stopping EWU. EWU had six possessions in the first half. Two ended up in touchdowns (includes one right before the half). One ended up in a pick (this was after a successful onside kick). The other three were punts, including two, three and out. In the second half, the only stops were DeLuca's pick-six and a miss FG attempt to end regulation.

The frustrating part was EWU's OL was pretty much all new players and the Bison didn't challenge them much in the second half by rushing three. To NDSU's credit though, they still pressured Gubrud with the three-man rush.

Also, it will be interesting to see if EWU can win just about every darn 50/50 ball like they did last year. Statistically, that should never happen.
    It was crazy how it seemed like they got every one of those.

The other guys already covered it. Must keep contain of Gubrud in the pocket. Our DE's got up field too quick which opened huge lanes for Gubrud to escape and make big plays down field. Stick with 4 rushers and our nickel package. Let Deluca roam the middle and spy on Gubrud.

Quote Originally Posted by runtheoption View Post
    As long as Austin Richard avoids the untimely PF penalties, I like our chances on Douche-Canoe Field.
    How about the non PF's that we get called for like Deluca hitting too hard? Hopefully that female ref isn't out there.

Quote Originally Posted by wagsabison View Post
    It was crazy how it seemed like they got every one of those.
    I don't think it was "seemed," but rather they just did. On a few of those passes, our players barely missed tipping them.
    Hail the BISON!!!