View Poll Results: Would you support NDSU (and SDSU) moving to the MVC?

Voters
100. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

82 82.00%
  • No

18 18.00%
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you support NDSU moving to the MVC? (Poll)

North Side is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Would you support NDSU moving to the MVC? (Poll)

I might be in the minority but I like the Summit League. All that matters is will the Men's basketball team make the big dance. I doubt NDSU would be dancing 3 times already if they were in the MVC for basketball. We are not at that level, heck we can barely win the Summit. MVC is a more powerful league but at the end of the day I really like the Summit League and going to Sioux Falls. NDSU sports get to the national tourmanet because we can complete at a high level in the Summit League, MVC we are middle of the pack.

Mayville Bison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by mvfcfan View Post
    None of the MVC publics are going to go to the Summit League, so it's not even worth entertaining the idea.

While it might improve football, it does nothing for basketball. Like it or not the MVC publics are not going to join a conference that is a step down in basketball just for better competition in football.

While the privates have struggled recently they do have potential to be better in basketball.
    1) Bradley for example spends over 3 million dollars a year on basketball and has a large fan base. Once they start having success they could really be the top team in the MVC for a long time. The support and the money is there.
    2) Evansville just recently started playing in a new arena. They spend 2 and a half million on basketball per year and have potential as well.
    3) Loyola was initially a bad addition, but they actually have a really good shot of winning the conference this upcoming season. Them and Missouri State are the early favorites.
    4) Valparaiso just made the NIT championship game in 2016. They have had a lot of success and have racked up a lot of wins in the last several seasons. They were a sold add this last time around.
    5) Drake is probably the worst private school in the MVC, but they are the only original founding member left. In 2008 they had a very good season, so they could do it again if they get the right hire and right recruits.

Lastly the MVC publics and privates have something in common with the other MVC publics and that is location and tradition in basketball. While the MVC is currently down, it's not always going to be down. The only way the publics in the MVC are going to join the XDSUs if the XDSUs get invited to the MVC.

It's my opinion that NDSU and SDSU would be the best two adds to the MVC. Murray State and Oral Roberts are probably the next two best adds, but their locations are better. It's tough to say which direction the MVC goes.
    I'm going to preface this by saying it's not going to happen, but if the publics went to the Summit, wouldn't that new Summit be a step up in basketball? Valpo (the team that hasn't played a game in the MVC) is the best of the privates. The 5 you have listed above or the 4 Dakotas and UNO? Honestly, if UNI & ISUr decided to jump together, that alone make the new Summit better than the MVC.

You are right it's not going to happen, but it's not because it would be a step down. It would be because of tournament shares. If a Summit team can make a S16 run or two and the MVC is a one and done for a few years, then it has a chance. Those are two HUGE ifs though, so let's cross that bridge if it actually happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayville Bison View Post
    I'm going to preface this by saying it's not going to happen, but if the publics went to the Summit, wouldn't that new Summit be a step up in basketball? Valpo (the team that hasn't played a game in the MVC) is the best of the privates. The 5 you have listed above or the 4 Dakotas and UNO? Honestly, if UNI & ISUr decided to jump together, that alone make the new Summit better than the MVC.

You are right it's not going to happen, but it's not because it would be a step down. It would be because of tournament shares. If a Summit team can make a S16 run or two and the MVC is a one and done for a few years, then it has a chance. Those are two HUGE ifs though, so let's cross that bridge if it actually happens.
    Now that Wichita State is gone, I would not worry about MVC making any S16 runs either. It takes a special group of players to get to S16 unless you are the big boys. Tourney money because of WSU will be end. WSU left that money on the table to move out and up for them.
    "Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because it is wrong" E. O. Wilson

"I'm not crazy my mother had me tested". Sheldon Cooper

My boss hates it when I shorten his name to Dick, mainly because his name is Steven.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Meaty View Post
    Now that Wichita State is gone, I would not worry about MVC making any S16 runs either. It takes a special group of players to get to S16 unless you are the big boys. Tourney money because of WSU will be end. WSU left that money on the table to move out and up for them.
    UNI is a good enough program to make a tournament run. ISUr could probably do it too. The rest, I don't think so.

It's just a matter of time before Summit units, Horizon units, and Valley units from the tournament are pretty much even.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Meaty View Post
    UNI had to manage maybe the greatest collapse in March Madness history to not make the Sweet Sixteen in 2016...just sayin'
    College of Business Alumnus

Quote Originally Posted by ByeSonBusiness View Post
    UNI had to manage maybe the greatest collapse in March Madness history to not make the Sweet Sixteen in 2016...just sayin'
    UNI doing UNI things proves his point. UNI has 1 sweet sixteen appearance in 35 years.

MVC isn't going to be getting 10-12 seeds on a regular basis without WSU either which makes tourney wins even harder to come by IMO.

The Summit League just doesn't get very good seeds very often. I'm looking back at the past 6 years and the Summit League has only gotten as high as a 12 seed twice. In those cases NDSU won against Oklahoma 80-75 (in OT) and SDSU lost to Maryland 79-74.

The other three times SDSU has had it rough. They had to play Baylor (2012), Michigan (2013), and Gonzaga (2017) and two of those three made it to the Final 4. Baylor on the other hand made it to the Elite 8. Then you have NDSU playing Gonzaga in 2015. It's very hard to win when you play teams like that in the first round of the tournament.

I highly believe that NDSU and SDSU would be the best adds for the MVC. It also makes sense for you guys as well too. With two quality adds it makes our conference better which means that our seeding will be better. If you can get at least a 12 seed in the tournament you give yourself a chance of winning. Anything less than a 12 and you have to get really lucky and play a highly overrated team to even have a chance at winning.

In all honesty an 11 or a 12 seed is probably the best seeding you can get as a mid major because if you win you don't get stuck playing a 1 or a 2 seed in the second round if you win, so you have a better chance at making a Sweet 16 run. Being an 8 or a 9; or a 7 and a 10 is probably about the worst thing that can happen, but even at that you still have a chance to win at least 1 game.

But I don't think I have to convince you guys too much since the vote is 63-11 in favor.

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonator98 View Post
    UNI doing UNI things proves his point. UNI has 1 sweet sixteen appearance in 35 years.

MVC isn't going to be getting 10-12 seeds on a regular basis without WSU either which makes tourney wins even harder to come by IMO.
    Still a better seed usually than the Summit.

reformedUNDfan is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

make the summit/valley a relegation league

The people on MVCfans are so ignorant. They'd all rather see their team in the NCAA tournament than win a FCS National Title. Like what a freaking joke! I'm an Indiana State fan and I'd be much more proud of a national title in football than a run (that would probably never happen) in the NCAA tournament. So count me as "in" for the MVFC all-sports conference idea. Got to get away from the weak "not wanting to compete in anything" mindset the private schools in the MVC have.

I prefer putting money into football more so than basketball because for one, our league gets 4 bids regularly now. And secondly the MVC is a one bid league now. Investing a ton of money into a one bid league is stupid. Competing in a sport not controlled by the big schools is more fun in my opinion. When the ACC is getting 9 teams in the NCAA tournament then there's no reason to invest a ton of money into a sport like that. As an ISU fan I'd much rather be associated with North Dakota State, SDSU, USD, etc; than Bradley, Evansville, Loyola, etc.

Thoughts?