View Poll Results: Would you support NDSU (and SDSU) moving to the MVC?

Voters
75. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    64 85.33%
  • No

    11 14.67%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 46

Thread: Would you support NDSU moving to the MVC? (Poll)

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Moorhead
    Posts
    12,106

    Default Re: Would you support NDSU moving to the MVC? (Poll)

    Quote Originally Posted by Bisonator98 View Post
    They won't come to the Summit. They have these delusions of grander that they are so much better. Kind of like a lot of these people who want into the MVC. They still see it as the conference it was 10 years ago.
    Or as a stable conference, but you know.
    check neg rep

    Warning: It is the offseason. Trollolol may or may not be in full swing. Take a deep breath and eat a trolli burger before reading my posts.

    Quote Originally Posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
    I'm tired of seeing the old Belushi clip from Animal House..."over? it's not over..." in the waning seconds of another loss to NDSU.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    10

    Default Re: Would you support NDSU moving to the MVC? (Poll)

    If and when the WAC folds I could see the Summit League having the following teams within the next 5 years:

    UND
    NDSU
    USD
    SDSU
    UNO
    UMKC (current WAC member)
    Denver
    Utah Valley (current WAC member)
    WIU (assuming they don't get an invite from the OVC or Horizon League)
    ORU (assuming they don't get an invite from the MVC)

    I just don't see the WAC lasting. I think NMST will go to the MWC pretty soon. Grand Canyon will probably end up in the WCC if their basketball team ends up as good as most people think it will. The California schools will probably go Big West along with Seattle. The Southland Conference makes the most sense for UTRGV. Chicago State will probably close up shop too. If these are the 10 schools the Summit League ends up with I think that is a pretty decent league.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    10

    Default Re: Would you support NDSU moving to the MVC? (Poll)

    But ignoring my WAC prediction. I really hope that you guys along with South Dakota State pick up the invite.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Quahog, RI
    Posts
    16,505

    Default Re: Would you support NDSU moving to the MVC? (Poll)

    Quote Originally Posted by mvfcfan View Post
    If and when the WAC folds I could see the Summit League having the following teams within the next 5 years:

    UND
    NDSU
    USD
    SDSU
    UNO
    UMKC (current WAC member)
    Denver
    Utah Valley (current WAC member)
    WIU (assuming they don't get an invite from the OVC or Horizon League)
    ORU (assuming they don't get an invite from the MVC)

    I just don't see the WAC lasting. I think NMST will go to the MWC pretty soon. Grand Canyon will probably end up in the WCC if their basketball team ends up as good as most people think it will. The California schools will probably go Big West along with Seattle. The Southland Conference makes the most sense for UTRGV. Chicago State will probably close up shop too. If these are the 10 schools the Summit League ends up with I think that is a pretty decent league.
    New Mexico will not allow NMST, into the MW if they would it already would have happened

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    NDSU Athletics: oderint dum metuant


  5. #35
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Quahog, RI
    Posts
    16,505

    Default Re: Would you support NDSU moving to the MVC? (Poll)

    I could see a day when NMST falls back to FCS and maybe the Summit could then have NDSU, SDSU, USD, WIU, UND, NMST for FB

    Not going to happ en but very possible, as I'm guessing the brass in Las Crucas is watching what Idaho is doing, maybe they join the Big Sky and UNC joiins the Summit still tabs another FB school for the Summit. All scenarios will have the serious FB schools in the MVC keeping tabs the Summit falls apart the MVFC is garbage

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    NDSU Athletics: oderint dum metuant


  6. #36
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Quahog, RI
    Posts
    16,505

    Default Re: Would you support NDSU moving to the MVC? (Poll)

    I should add though the egos in the MVC will never admit the Summit actually has leverage on them albeit very little but they do, lose 4 State schools because you want garbage privates..lol that won't sit well with other state schools

    I say take NDSU, SDSU, USD, UND, UNI, Montana, Montana St, Illinois St, and maybe Idaho or NMST and do their own thing, would be a kick ass gig for FB and would build to be a great all sports conference..again won't happen but...

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    NDSU Athletics: oderint dum metuant


  7. #37
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    964

    Default Re: Would you support NDSU moving to the MVC? (Poll)

    Quote Originally Posted by tjbison View Post
    I should add though the egos in the MVC will never admit the Summit actually has leverage on them albeit very little but they do, lose 4 State schools because you want garbage privates..lol that won't sit well with other state schools

    I say take NDSU, SDSU, USD, UND, UNI, Montana, Montana St, Illinois St, and maybe Idaho or NMST and do their own thing, would be a kick ass gig for FB and would build to be a great all sports conference..again won't happen but...

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    UNI and ISUr won't leave the MVC and I doubt the Montana's would leave the Big Sky. However, the conference you propose would easily be the best FCS conference, and a very formidable Mid-Major for basketball.

    Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    10

    Default Re: Would you support NDSU moving to the MVC? (Poll)

    None of the MVC publics are going to go to the Summit League, so it's not even worth entertaining the idea.

    While it might improve football, it does nothing for basketball. Like it or not the MVC publics are not going to join a conference that is a step down in basketball just for better competition in football.

    While the privates have struggled recently they do have potential to be better in basketball.
    1) Bradley for example spends over 3 million dollars a year on basketball and has a large fan base. Once they start having success they could really be the top team in the MVC for a long time. The support and the money is there.
    2) Evansville just recently started playing in a new arena. They spend 2 and a half million on basketball per year and have potential as well.
    3) Loyola was initially a bad addition, but they actually have a really good shot of winning the conference this upcoming season. Them and Missouri State are the early favorites.
    4) Valparaiso just made the NIT championship game in 2016. They have had a lot of success and have racked up a lot of wins in the last several seasons. They were a sold add this last time around.
    5) Drake is probably the worst private school in the MVC, but they are the only original founding member left. In 2008 they had a very good season, so they could do it again if they get the right hire and right recruits.

    Lastly the MVC publics and privates have something in common with the other MVC publics and that is location and tradition in basketball. While the MVC is currently down, it's not always going to be down. The only way the publics in the MVC are going to join the XDSUs if the XDSUs get invited to the MVC.

    It's my opinion that NDSU and SDSU would be the best two adds to the MVC. Murray State and Oral Roberts are probably the next two best adds, but their locations are better. It's tough to say which direction the MVC goes.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    NORTH Fargo
    Posts
    1,992

    Default Re: Would you support NDSU moving to the MVC? (Poll)

    I might be in the minority but I like the Summit League. All that matters is will the Men's basketball team make the big dance. I doubt NDSU would be dancing 3 times already if they were in the MVC for basketball. We are not at that level, heck we can barely win the Summit. MVC is a more powerful league but at the end of the day I really like the Summit League and going to Sioux Falls. NDSU sports get to the national tourmanet because we can complete at a high level in the Summit League, MVC we are middle of the pack.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,654
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Would you support NDSU moving to the MVC? (Poll)

    Quote Originally Posted by mvfcfan View Post
    None of the MVC publics are going to go to the Summit League, so it's not even worth entertaining the idea.

    While it might improve football, it does nothing for basketball. Like it or not the MVC publics are not going to join a conference that is a step down in basketball just for better competition in football.

    While the privates have struggled recently they do have potential to be better in basketball.
    1) Bradley for example spends over 3 million dollars a year on basketball and has a large fan base. Once they start having success they could really be the top team in the MVC for a long time. The support and the money is there.
    2) Evansville just recently started playing in a new arena. They spend 2 and a half million on basketball per year and have potential as well.
    3) Loyola was initially a bad addition, but they actually have a really good shot of winning the conference this upcoming season. Them and Missouri State are the early favorites.
    4) Valparaiso just made the NIT championship game in 2016. They have had a lot of success and have racked up a lot of wins in the last several seasons. They were a sold add this last time around.
    5) Drake is probably the worst private school in the MVC, but they are the only original founding member left. In 2008 they had a very good season, so they could do it again if they get the right hire and right recruits.

    Lastly the MVC publics and privates have something in common with the other MVC publics and that is location and tradition in basketball. While the MVC is currently down, it's not always going to be down. The only way the publics in the MVC are going to join the XDSUs if the XDSUs get invited to the MVC.

    It's my opinion that NDSU and SDSU would be the best two adds to the MVC. Murray State and Oral Roberts are probably the next two best adds, but their locations are better. It's tough to say which direction the MVC goes.
    I'm going to preface this by saying it's not going to happen, but if the publics went to the Summit, wouldn't that new Summit be a step up in basketball? Valpo (the team that hasn't played a game in the MVC) is the best of the privates. The 5 you have listed above or the 4 Dakotas and UNO? Honestly, if UNI & ISUr decided to jump together, that alone make the new Summit better than the MVC.

    You are right it's not going to happen, but it's not because it would be a step down. It would be because of tournament shares. If a Summit team can make a S16 run or two and the MVC is a one and done for a few years, then it has a chance. Those are two HUGE ifs though, so let's cross that bridge if it actually happens.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •