Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Defensive Depth Charts

Default Re: 2017 Defensive Depth Charts

Quote Originally Posted by IzzyFlexion View Post
    Especially ones that are ridiculously athletic, fast, and assassinesque hitters with the will to win at all costs.
    This quote reminded me of a famous Kevin Harlan (one of the best in the biz btw) call that Culhane could do an homage to when Deluca lays a big hit this year.

"Nick DeLuca... with no regard for human life!"

Not sure why they want Plank in there unless Cox hasn't grasped the mental side of the game. Plank just doesn't have the size or athleticism as the others. I'd prefer Deluca at MLB. I suppose they'll run quite a bit of nickel and Plank won't be out there anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonator98 View Post
    Not sure why they want Plank in there unless Cox hasn't grasped the mental side of the game. Plank just doesn't have the size or athleticism as the others. I'd prefer Deluca at MLB. I suppose they'll run quite a bit of nickel and Plank won't be out there anyway.
    I think the coaches really like what's between the earholes with Plank and that makes up for his relative lack of size and athleticism. He's kind of a poor man's Grant Olson whereas DeLuca is a rich man's Travis Beck.

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    Okay, here is the elephant in the room: Does Board start all year, or will Cox overtake him?
    Saw it asked elsewhere and have noticed it over the years:

Ross Uglem @RossUglem
    1. It's a very deep group. 2. Upperclassmen get preferential treatment on early depth charts. Just the way it is.

Jake Stack @JacobMorley
    Replying to @RossUglem and @NDSUfootball
    Board has been able to hold off Cox? That's an interesting group.
    3:00 PM · Aug 2, 2017
    This may be happening on the other side of the field also......
    LG 1st team is currently SR Bryce Messner, as he was in spring ball before being injured right before the spring game.
    I remember Messner really doing the job blocking in the hybrid role the coaches created for him at TE/FB in running situations last season.
    But am definitely watching for the Collin Conner - Dillon Radunz switcheroo on the OL.
    Would be exciting that a RFR was talented enough to make 1st team......

Dom mentioned on his video asking Coach Klieman again about any true freshman player playing this season.
    The answer was DB was the most likely spot for that to happen, also RB. Found RB being mentioned interesting considering NDSU's depth there. Perhaps that is a compliment to Seth Wilson......
    Last edited by bruinbison; 08-04-2017 at 04:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonator98 View Post
    Plank is great in base defense. Just like when Grant was there he went off the field in nickel and LJ skid to the middle. The battle is between Board and Cox. Cox is certainly the better athlete but Board has been in the program longer and has experience in coverage since he used to be a strong safety. Board wasn't the greatest in coverage for a D1 safety but his coverage skills as a linebacker are likely excellent. Should have started him at linebacker to begin with but given the talent we had at the time I understand why he was at safety. Some day Cox will be I'm the mold of Carlton Littlejohn one of my all-time favourites. Deluca is Urlacher in the Tampa 2

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Quote Originally Posted by AKBison View Post
    Marcus Williams and CJ Smith want to say hello from the NFL.
    They aren't 5'8" or 5'9" 166lbs. Both are 5'11" and CJ is especially lanky for his height - which is why I think he'll end up being a better NFL corner.

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    I think everyone wants that next generation 6-2 corner but I still think a 5-11, 6-0 200 pound corner is the norm even in the NFL. Once you get over 6-2 it's rare to find athletes who are fluid enough to play corner. Even the Vikings only have 2 corners over 6 feet
    I'm aware of the dynamics of height and hip fluidity as a DB. Look at the depth at our CB spot and you see 3 guys that are 5'9" or under. That's pretty small compared to what we are used to here. Maybe they will end up just being depth, still not ideal. As someone who obsesses over everyone's height/weight/40 time, I'm surprised you don't have a concern about it.
    check neg rep

Warning: It is the offseason. Trollolol may or may not be in full swing. Take a deep breath and eat a trolli burger before reading my posts.

Quote Originally Posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
    I'm tired of seeing the old Belushi clip from Animal House..."over? it's not over..." in the waning seconds of another loss to NDSU.

Quote Originally Posted by bruinbison View Post
    Saw it asked elsewhere and have noticed it over the years:

This may be happening on the other side of the field also......
    LG 1st team is currently SR Bryce Messner, as he was in spring ball before being injured right before the spring game.
    I remember Messner really doing the job blocking in the hybrid role the coaches created for him at TE/FB in running situations last season.
    But am definitely watching for the Collin Conner - Dillon Radunz switcheroo on the OL.
    Would be exciting that a RFR was talented enough to make 1st team......

Dom mentioned on his video asking Coach Klieman again about any true freshman player playing this season.
    The answer was DB was the most likely spot for that to happen, also RB. Found RB being mentioned interesting considering NDSU's depth there. Perhaps that is a compliment to Seth Wilson......

It was more along the lines that skill positions are easier to get on the field as a true freshman

Quote Originally Posted by EndZoneQB View Post
    They aren't 5'8" or 5'9" 166lbs. Both are 5'11" and CJ is especially lanky for his height - which is why I think he'll end up being a better NFL corner.

I'm aware of the dynamics of height and hip fluidity as a DB. Look at the depth at our CB spot and you see 3 guys that are 5'9" or under. That's pretty small compared to what we are used to here. Maybe they will end up just being depth, still not ideal. As someone who obsesses over everyone's height/weight/40 time, I'm surprised you don't have a concern about it.
    Top 4 are normal size. (Allison, Davis, JW, Bridges ) Dixon is 5-11 but you're right on the rest. I dont mind a 5-9 corner if he's playing slot/nickel corner like Champion did. But Jordan Champion playing outside.. it wasn't his best position and we all remember the Montana game

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

reformedUNDfan is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    Plank is great in base defense. Just like when Grant was there he went off the field in nickel and LJ skid to the middle. The battle is between Board and Cox. Cox is certainly the better athlete but Board has been in the program longer and has experience in coverage since he used to be a strong safety. Board wasn't the greatest in coverage for a D1 safety but his coverage skills as a linebacker are likely excellent. Should have started him at linebacker to begin with but given the talent we had at the time I understand why he was at safety. Some day Cox will be I'm the mold of Carlton Littlejohn one of my all-time favourites. Deluca is Urlacher in the Tampa 2
    I don't know if I agree, last I heard Board was among the best athletes on the team

Quote Originally Posted by reformedUNDfan View Post
    I don't know if I agree, last I heard Board was among the best athletes on the team
    He's a great athlete but he's normal size for a LB at 6-1 but overall size ane athleticism.. Cox is 6-3 , 227 and runs like a deer