Page 5 of 43 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Playoff Matchup 2017

Eastern foothills of the turtle mountains.

Default Re: Playoff Matchup 2017

Quote Originally Posted by thebigund View Post
    How many offenses in teh valleys are actually good?
    The one team in the valley who doesn't play the Bison.

Lardsin must go!

abc123 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by DM05 View Post
    Then why did you only pick to include the top 4 rushers from each team? If you take out Studsrud and Stick, UND rushed for 5.06 YPC and NDSU was at 5.56 YPC if you used the entire team rushing stats. By not doing that you are essentially saying "if you ignore all of our guys that suck, we are basically the same." And that is taking out all of Stick's carries, many of which are designed runs where he is essentially a running back.

UND opponents gave up 4.65 YPC, NDSU's gave up 4.15 YPC. Fewer yards per carry against shittier defenses.
    Your exact claim: "Your awesome running backs ran for a full yard less per carry last year than NDSU"

I picked everyone listed as a running back and had at least 10 carries, because you know, you were talking about running backs. If you want to use every carry by every player listed as a running back last year, then its 5.5 YPC to 5.6 YPC with NDSU still having a slight advantage. Make up your mind what you want to argue before you make a statement. UND's QB getting sacked or the OC thinking a double reverse is a good idea and ends up going for negative yards has zero to do with the running backs YPC, which is what you originally made a statement about.

You f'hawkers are making a great case by establishing just how delusional the world in eastern Grand Forks county has become.

Rock

"In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria." --- Benjamin Franklin

How many offenses in teh valleys are actually good?
    By my count:
    Top 40 total offense: Big Sky 6/13, MVFC 4/10
    Top 40 rushing offense: Big Sky 4/13, MVFC 3/10

Disclaimer: All totals include quarterback sacks, because those actually do count in football.

UND played 2 Top 40 defenses last year (two losses). NDSU played 6 Top 40 defenses.

Quote Originally Posted by abc123 View Post
    Your exact claim: "Your awesome running backs ran for a full yard less per carry last year than NDSU"

I picked everyone listed as a running back and had at least 10 carries, because you know, you were talking about running backs. If you want to use every carry by every player listed as a running back last year, then its 5.5 YPC to 5.6 YPC with NDSU still having a slight advantage. Make up your mind what you want to argue before you make a statement. UND's QB getting sacked or the OC thinking a double reverse is a good idea and ends up going for negative yards has zero to do with the running backs YPC, which is what you originally made a statement about.
    Fine, I can fix my claim: your rushing offense, which has been boasted about as being very good despite playing in a league with overall poor rushing defense and against OOC opponents with poor rushing defenses, still averaged a full yard less per carry on all plays counted as rushing attempts than NDSU, who played in a league with very good rushing defenses and against OOC opponents that can stop the run. Appreciate you pointing out the error of my ways, forcing me to come up with several other descriptions of just how bad your rushing offense was considering the level of competition.

Better?

abc123 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Disclaimer: All totals include quarterback sacks, because those actually do count in football.
    Of course they do and I have never indicated anything besides that. But you set the discussion point by comparing running backs YPC. I don't recall that being impacted by WR jet sweeps or QB sacks or bootlegs. If you want to change what you are talking about, that's fine, but your original point was wrong. UND's running backs had an average within .1 yards of NDSU's running backs, who played behind a better offensive line.

thebigund is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

By my count:
    Top 40 total offense: Big Sky 6/13, MVFC 4/10
    Top 40 rushing offense: Big Sky 4/13, MVFC 3/10

Not rankings wise. A good offense can look great against a shit defense. A good defense can look great against a shit offense. I question that teh valley has enough offenses that can really challenge defenses. I know our coaches have talked about how much easier it was to gameplan for opposing offenses in teh valley.

Quote Originally Posted by abc123 View Post
    Of course they do and I have never indicated anything besides that. But you set the discussion point by comparing running backs YPC. I don't recall that being impacted by WR jet sweeps or QB sacks or bootlegs. If you want to change what you are talking about, that's fine, but your original point was wrong. UND's running backs had an average within .1 yards of NDSU's running backs, who played behind a better offensive line.
    Don't you mean selected UND RB's?

JFC: the more I look at this stuff the worse it gets. UND played 4 games against the 8 worst defenses in FCS last year. A third of your games against the 8 WORST defenses, and you couldn't crack the top 50 in total offense....

Da Bison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I suppose that this year with an All-world OT like Grady you will probably lead the FCS in rushing and never have another QB sack.
    The original Da Bison.
    Not to be confused with imposters

Not rankings wise. A good offense can look great against a shit defense. A good defense can look great against a shit offense. I question that teh valley has enough offenses that can really challenge defenses. I know our coaches have talked about how much easier it was to gameplan for opposing offenses in teh valley.
    Glad the game planning was easy, cause stopping those offenses sure wasn't. The last four games against valley teams UND has given up 44 (USD, 2016), 34 (NDSU, 2015), 38 (Missouri St.....yep, that Missouri St, 2014), and 35 (SDSU, 2013).