Thread: Post-collegiate News (started 2017)

Default Post-collegiate News (started 2017)

Deborah John ...

Just saw that Deborah John made the World Championships in the 110m Hurdles that will run in London Aug 4-13. Per iaaf.org, her best time this year is 13.10, which is tied for 39th best in the World. Best time in the 110m Hurdles for all runners so far this year is 12.28, 2nd best is 12.48. Big gap there. Small gaps between athletes from the 12.48 to D. John. Good luck DJ.

Default Re: Post-collegiate News (started 2017)

Others and the World Championships ...

Riley Dolezal (javelin) - I suspect most readers know Riley just missed out. He won the U.S. Championships, but needed something like 5 more feet to meet the qualifying standard for the javelin. Winning the U.S. Championships was not, apparently, enough.

Erin Teschuk (3000m Steeplechase and 1500m) - Canada has three entrants this year, ranging in best times this year from 9:33 to 9:44. I have not seen any news on how Erin has been running this spring and summer. Her personal best (all-time) is 9:40, so she is capable of running better than two of Canada's entrants who ran a 9:43 and a 9:44. Addendum: Erin has been racing apparently; she ran a 9:43 Steeplechase in Portland Oregon in June this year. This would be the 3rd best time by a Canadian, so hmmm ... wonder why she isn't in the Worlds? Injury?

Laura Roesler (800m) - not an NDSU grad, but a Fargo South grad so a North Dakota athlete. She has had a good year. She ran a 1:59.54 800m in April this year, the 2nd year that she has gone under 2:00. And she was on a 4 x 800m relay in a meet in the Bahamas that (if my memory is correct) set a new U.S. record in the event. In most years, these kinds of performances would have gotten her into the Worlds, but she did not make it this year. The U.S. is sending 4 runners - the slowest of these is a 1:59.10. Four runners is, I suspect, the maximum # of people a country can send in an event. Her time is presently 6th best in the U.S. this year. I would guess she is disappointed and frustrated. Having graduated from the U of Oregon with more All-American awards than any prior U of Oregon athlete and an NCAA Indoor and Outdoor champion in the 800m, one of the people who beat her out for the worlds is an 800m runner still attending Oregon - Raeven Rogers. Some irony there. Her last race (that I know about) was on July 21 in Monaco, a meet that is part of the IAAF's Diamond League events. Roesler was invited or assigned (apparently) to be the rabbit, meaning she was supposed to drop out after about 600m, which she did - she was 10-15 yards ahead of the other runners at the time. The top three runners then proceeded to run 1:55 something. One of those was Ajee Wilson (US), who now owns the US record in the 800m. This probably feels like a great missed opportunity for Laura - to not be able to finish a race that turned out to be epic. In the video of this race, Laura looked frustrated when she was introduced as the rabbit - I think she knew then, this had the potential to have great times - and it did.

Amanda Smock (triple jump) - only one U.S. entrant in the Women's Triple Jump, and it isn't Amanda. A year or two ago she was talking about retirement, so maybe she has decided to not compete anymore. However, this is speculation. I don't know the situation here. (just checked ... she retired in July 2016, per an article in the Fargo Forum)
    Last edited by Buffalo.Rider; 08-05-2017 at 12:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo.Rider View Post
    Deborah John ...

Just saw that Deborah John made the World Championships in the 110m Hurdles that will run in London Aug 4-13. Per iaaf.org, her best time this year is 13.10, which is tied for 39th best in the World. Best time in the 110m Hurdles for all runners so far this year is 12.28, 2nd best is 12.48. Big gap there. Small gaps between athletes from the 12.48 to D. John. Good luck DJ.
    Deborah John at the iaaf in London ... was in heat 5. She did not finish (DNF). Only hurdler to not finish in all five heats. I could not find a video of the women's 100m heats, nor a report. So I don't know what happened.

Deborah John ...

Deborah John at the iaaf in London ... was in heat 5. She did not finish (DNF). Only hurdler to not finish in all five heats. I could not find a video of the women's 100m heats, nor a report. So I don't know what happened.

This happened...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/spo...pionships.html

Apparently she is okay, thank god...

https://twitter.com/joelajulien/stat...12806205657089
    Here's to alcohol, the cause of—and solution to—all life's problems. (Homer Simpson)

For those interested in L. Roesler's outdoor season (2017), here is a summary - much of it from Pace Sports Management. (but not the dates, not most of the times, and no mention of Monaco) Pretty good season overall. If the US was not loaded with 800m talent at the moment, this would have a really good year.

21 July - IAAF Herculis, Monaco (DNF, Laura was the rabbit for this race)
    18 July - Cork City Sports, 800m, 1st (2:02.95)
    14 July - IAAF World Challenge, Madrid, 800m, 6th (2:01.14)
    09 July - IAAF Diamond League, London, 800m, 7th (2:00.55)
    25 June - USATF World Championships Trials, Sacramento, 800m, 7th (2:01.10)
    10 June - Music City, Nashville, 800m, 1st (2:00.54)
    17 May - USATF Distance Classic. Occidental, California, 1500m, 18th, (4:12.93)
    22 April - IAAF World Relay Championships, Nassau, 4x800m, 1st (8:16.36)
    15 April - Mt Sac Relays, Torrance, 800m, 2nd, (1:59.54)
    08 April - Spec Towns Invitational, Texas, 800m, 1st (2:00.69)

If Laura ran some races after 21 July, I did not find any news on it, did not have time to look.

Quote Originally Posted by bri-dog View Post
    Ouch, and Wow. I hope she bounces back.