Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Defense: Potentially best ever?

Default Re: 2017 Defense: Potentially best ever?

Potentially 'one' of the best ever...on paper.

If you wore the uniform...you're a champion.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    Yeah, there was no philosophy change last year. It basically boiled down to 3rd down efficiency or lack thereof on defense. Even the back breaking TD that JMU got to make it 27-17 came on a 3rd and 10 play. Hopefully an improved secondary will help get that back to where it was this next year and also keep in mind that the pass rush should be better as well with basically everyone except Ambrosius returning along the D-line.

I think this defense is as talented as it has been since 2013 so the potential is there. Only time will tell whether that translates to production on the field.
    Exactly. Our corners were playing poorly at times. Pressure was inconsistent without the blitz. QBs killed us when the got out of the pocket. And at times we tackled poorly. Kind of the story of last year. Of course when the offense stunk it up, they even had less time to adjust. Also seemed like teams scripted their first few drives and always got points out of it which means we were being out coached.

On paper this team has the makings of a great defense but at this point we are not even worthy of being in the same breath as 2012-13

Fortunately with DeLuca and Tanguay coming back and a ton of returning starters... This squad has big time potential. But they need to prove it on the field

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

I've updated the spreadsheet to go back to 2002: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...6bs/edit#gid=0

Maybe I should do one where the seasons are random and the year is replaced with a variable and see if I can rank them from best record to worst record. 2002 and 2009 certainly stand out as bad years, but we've certainly been spoiled with very good to great defenses.

Back to the 2017 defense, Kolpack and Izzo pointed it out, but sophomore DT Cole Karcz could be great. I should dig up some of his clips - there's one of him knocking Kuhnert on his ass and another of him doing the same to Tanner Volson... now, the OL has a ways to go, but I don't doubt their one-on-one ability - it's just that there is a lot of work to do to function as a group anytime you have 3 OL graduate.

Oh yeah, and here's the Izzo and Kolpack preview of Karcz: https://bisonmedia.areavoices.com/to...rs-cole-karcz/

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    I've updated the spreadsheet to go back to 2002: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...6bs/edit#gid=0

Maybe I should do one where the seasons are random and the year is replaced with a variable and see if I can rank them from best record to worst record. 2002 and 2009 certainly stand out as bad years, but we've certainly been spoiled with very good to great defenses.

Back to the 2017 defense, Kolpack and Izzo pointed it out, but sophomore DT Cole Karcz could be great. I should dig up some of his clips - there's one of him knocking Kuhnert on his ass and another of him doing the same to Tanner Volson... now, the OL has a ways to go, but I don't doubt their one-on-one ability - it's just that there is a lot of work to do to function as a group anytime you have 3 OL graduate.

Oh yeah, and here's the Izzo and Kolpack preview of Karcz: https://bisonmedia.areavoices.com/to...rs-cole-karcz/
    IMO, Kuhnert and Volson would rank as upper tier OL in the MV. When I saw Karcz maul these guys, I thought it had more to do with his (Karcz) abilities than their lack of. He looks to have ability to get OL off balance, then burst towards the QB using quickness and strength. I'm looking forward to watching him play this season, think he'll cause some headaches.
    Hey Barkeep, another round of the green stuff for me and my buddies!

Boy, that 2009 defense was not good at all. Got run on, scored on and we could be turn them over. Inside the 20 the opposing team scored a TD 76% of the time. No wonder we were 3-8 that year.
    "Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because it is wrong" E. O. Wilson

"I'm not crazy my mother had me tested". Sheldon Cooper

My boss hates it when I shorten his name to Dick, mainly because his name is Steven.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Meaty View Post
    Boy, that 2009 defense was not good at all. Got run on, scored on and we could be turn them over. Inside the 20 the opposing team scored a TD 76% of the time. No wonder we were 3-8 that year.
    2002 and 2009, both 28ppg, both losing seasons.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote Originally Posted by Bison 4 Life View Post
    2002 and 2009, both 28ppg, both losing seasons.
    And losing seasons at NDSU means "historically bad." Even so, those teams had almost all the pieces. I mean, if you look at that 2002 team, it has some of the all-time great Bison on the roster.

G_Funky is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Meaty View Post
    The 2009 team should be getting some credit for the recent success at SU...they must have looked at that year and said "yeah, let's do things the exact opposite"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This is not 'Nam. This is Bisonville. There are rules here.

What years did Steve Walker play?

If you wore the uniform...you're a champion.

Quote Originally Posted by CaBisonFan View Post
    What years did Steve Walker play?
    04-07 sounds right
    College of Business Alumnus