Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Defense: Potentially best ever?

G_Funky is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: 2017 Defense: Potentially best ever?

Mindset needs to change to be the best ever...bend don't break won't get you there, that's for sure. I don't really care who we're talking about individually. If the philosophy of the defense and the play calls are steered towards allowing yards, just not too many yards, it's going to effect the entire crew.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This is not 'Nam. This is Bisonville. There are rules here.

Quote Originally Posted by G_Funky View Post
    Mindset needs to change to be the best ever...bend don't break won't get you there, that's for sure. I don't really care who we're talking about individually. If the philosophy of the defense and the play calls are steered towards allowing yards, just not too many yards, it's going to effect the entire crew.

I think one of the key components of the Tampa 2 has been to not give up the big play and then tighten up but last year we really struggled to get off the field on 3rd down early in drives

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

I created a Google spreadsheet that shows defensive stats by season. Hopefully the link works: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Note: I'll be adding more seasons when I get a chance.

stevdock is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    I created a Google spreadsheet that shows defensive stats by season. Hopefully the link works: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Nice work. Based on your spreadsheet you could make the case that 2012 was better than 2013. Not by much but less yardage given up, more turnovers, and just barely more points. I think this backs up what Dudzik was talking about.

thebigund is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post

It would be doubly interesting to have each years offensive stats (scoring, TOP, rushing, passing, TOs) next to the defensive ones.

Potentially the best ever? Sure but I doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by G_Funky View Post

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    I think one of the key components of the Tampa 2 has been to not give up the big play and then tighten up but last year we really struggled to get off the field on 3rd down early in drives
    Yeah, there was no philosophy change last year. It basically boiled down to 3rd down efficiency or lack thereof on defense. Even the back breaking TD that JMU got to make it 27-17 came on a 3rd and 10 play. Hopefully an improved secondary will help get that back to where it was this next year and also keep in mind that the pass rush should be better as well with basically everyone except Ambrosius returning along the D-line.

I think this defense is as talented as it has been since 2013 so the potential is there. Only time will tell whether that translates to production on the field.

Quote Originally Posted by cbline View Post
    2013 defensive stats to chew on:

1. Points allowed per game = 11.3

2. Rushing yards allowed per game = 91.3

3. Rushing TD's allowed = 7

4. Bison punted 52 times that year. Opponents: 101

5. Opponents' scoring per quarter: 1st - 34; 2nd - 71; 3rd - 51; 4th - 13
    Bryan Shepherd didnt even start on that team.

Quote Originally Posted by stevdock View Post
    Nice work. Based on your spreadsheet you could make the case that 2012 was better than 2013. Not by much but less yardage given up, more turnovers, and just barely more points. I think this backs up what Dudzik was talking about.
    Pretty crazy as both those defenses are pretty much the same guys

Quote Originally Posted by ndsubison1 View Post
    Pretty crazy as both those defenses are pretty much the same guys
    Part of that was there was a lot more blowouts in 2013 so the defense relaxed and played more vanilla in 2013 than they did in 2012 which probably led to a few more yards/points. I think in mid-October to early November in 2012 there was something like 4 straight games decided by a TD or less (that were all NDSU wins).