Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: 2017 Defense: Potentially best ever?

Default Re: 2017 Defense: Potentially best ever?

Quote Originally Posted by stevdock View Post
    It's interesting how stats can lie sometimes. Look at YPG between 2009 and 2010. Between those two years the YPG went down .1 so you would expect the scoring defense to be about the same, but yet it went down over 10 PPG.

Also most of us (me especially) think our punter has not been very good since LeCompte graduated, but yet if you look at net punt average, he would be considered our best punter ever.

I know lots of things go into both of those, but found those two stats very interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bisonator98 View Post
    That drives me nuts. I don't give a shit if every punt is fair caught 39 yards down field. I want someone who can flip the field with a 60 yarder or drop it inside the 10.
    I don't think we allowed a punt return all regular season last year. Yeah they weren't boomed but zero returns has an impact. Where we needed the power is when we were inside the 30, too many ended up fair caught at midfield

I heard that he has really increased his leg strength this off-season so I would expect big things from Koonse

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Quote Originally Posted by 56BISON73 View Post
    The frustrating thing about 2009 was we were in almost every game we lost.
    Yep. That team just had the knack for losing just like our recent teams know how to win

Whether it's Mertens fumbling at the 1 vs Iowa State to tie the game and then the defense promptly giving up a TD, or Paul Cornick getting a dumb personal foul on a game winning drive reversing a 30 yard play, or Mertens ending half the game winning potential drives with a pick...

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

We were tied for 46th in net punting yards at 36 yards per punt which is almost 6 yards less than the top team and less than 2 yards from the 20th ranked team
    http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fcs/current/team/98

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    I don't think we allowed a punt return all regular season last year. Yeah they weren't boomed but zero returns has an impact. Where we needed the power is when we were inside the 30, too many ended up fair caught at midfield

I heard that he has really increased his leg strength this off-season so I would expect big things from Koonse
    It's OK to not be OK.

Quote Originally Posted by aces1180 View Post
    It really is! I look forward to seeing him line-up against Will Ratelle on Sundays!

You think Ratelle will still be in the NFL after this season?
    "Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because it is wrong" E. O. Wilson

"I'm not crazy my mother had me tested". Sheldon Cooper

My boss hates it when I shorten his name to Dick, mainly because his name is Steven.

mtoutfitter is online now Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Meaty View Post
    [/B]

Weren't Ratelle, Reyes and others that they gush about recruit's of Muss and not the vaunted Bubba???
    Life is tough, but it's even tougher if you're stupid.......John Wayne

/End Lakes. Roll Herd!

Quote Originally Posted by mtoutfitter View Post
    Weren't Ratelle, Reyes and others that they gush about recruit's of Muss and not the vaunted Bubba???
    Ratt should have been Muss and Reyes should be Bubba.
    "Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because it is wrong" E. O. Wilson

"I'm not crazy my mother had me tested". Sheldon Cooper

My boss hates it when I shorten his name to Dick, mainly because his name is Steven.

Quote Originally Posted by mtoutfitter View Post
    Correct, I believe they were both originally Muss recruits. Muss definitely recruited some talent, but could never seem to get talent across the whole team. Also didn't seem to know how to manage the talent once he had it.

Ratelle was a pretty great linebacker considering he was there through some re-building years, and considering his size. I really hope Reyes can make that jump to the next level. Also interested to see if Deion Harris can play up to his potential. He certainly has garnered a lot of off season attention, but if he wants to make the jump and get drafted, he will need to live up to the hype this year.

You guys have been fortunate enough to pump out NFL talent for several years now, but it is really nice to finally get to see our team get some guys into the conversation. It is certainly a process to build up the program, especially when we have to recruit against regional teams like NDSU and SDSU, and there is still plenty of room to grow, but this program now compared to 5 or 6 years ago is night and day.

thebigund is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Ratt should have been Muss and Reyes should be Bubba.
    Reyes is Muss as well. Harris is from the Muss/Bubba transition class.

[/B]

Should have used purple...My comment was tongue in cheek.
    Former NDSU intramural athlete.

[QUOTE=Mr Meaty;1213637][/B]

You think Ratelle will still be in the NFL after this season?[/QUOTE

He made a roster?
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."