Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Defense: Potentially best ever?

Default 2017 Defense: Potentially best ever?

Hopefully, this thread title breaks Betteridge's law of headlines.

Anyway, in one of Jeff's and Dom's deals, Kolpack said that this defense has the potential to be the best ever at NDSU.

The defensive line looks solid and deep.

Linebackers - well, imo, DeLuca is the best MLB I've seen at NDSU, Levi Jordheim looked very good before his injury, and Plank looked pretty good backing up DeLuca, but nobody else is proven. Marlette has gotten some snaps and I think we've all been waiting to see Jabril Cox on the field.

DBs: Tre and Robbie have lots of experience at safety, but there's no experienced depth there. And at CB, Jalen Allison and Jayaan Wimbush have experience but need to lift their game up.

Safe to say that if Tanguay and DeLuca stay healthy, the defense should be better than last year, but it's a huge leap from there to "best ever." I sure hope they make that jump.

Default Re: 2017 Defense: Potentially best ever?

Man I hope so. I'd like to see them get back to a pressure defense as opposed to the bend but don't break version we saw last year.
    I don't care how the vote ended up. They still suck and always will.

Official Unofficial President of the Bisonville Zach Vraa Fan Club.
    http://www.bisonville.com/forum/show...zach+vraa+club

I was just talking about this same subject with other Bison fans yesterday. We all agree that this should be a "best" defense in NDSU history. No pressure there. lol
    But we will be deeper than in the past couple of years. Great veteran leadership on the field. It will still need our offense to help control the TOP and keep the defense "fresh". The offense can get up early and make a the other team one dimensional. Control the clock and defense can just pin their ears back to go for it. Team effort is needed.
    "Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because it is wrong" E. O. Wilson

"I'm not crazy my mother had me tested". Sheldon Cooper

My boss hates it when I shorten his name to Dick, mainly because his name is Steven.

thebigund is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    Hopefully, this thread title breaks Betteridge's law of headlines.

Anyway, in one of Jeff's and Dom's deals, Kolpack said that this defense has the potential to be the best ever at NDSU.

The defensive line looks solid and deep.

Linebackers - well, imo, DeLuca is the best MLB I've seen at NDSU, Levi Jordheim looked very good before his injury, and Plank looked pretty good backing up DeLuca, but nobody else is proven. Marlette has gotten some snaps and I think we've all been waiting to see Jabril Cox on the field.

DBs: Tre and Robbie have lots of experience at safety, but there's no experienced depth there. And at CB, Jalen Allison and Jayaan Wimbush have experience but need to lift their game up.

Safe to say that if Tanguay and DeLuca stay healthy, the defense should be better than last year, but it's a huge leap from there to "best ever." I sure hope they make that jump.
    Not a chance. Nobody on Marcus Williams' level. The only LB upgrade is DeLuca. The rest are major downgrades. DL has good players for sure but is Menard on the Emmanuel level? It's the offseason I know but this is a huge stretch.

LOL!!!! Front seven as a group are great with a few question marks LB. Secondary is no where near great.

Which defense holds the current title? Is is the 2006 team with 3 upper-classmen who played in the NFL for multiple years, the 2013 team, or someone else?
    It's OK to not be OK.

I hope we can revisit this thread in January and say, "yes, they were the best ever."
    Don't matter. FIVE-PEAT!

ZHerd is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by thebigund View Post
    Not a chance. Nobody on Marcus Williams' level. The only LB upgrade is DeLuca. The rest are major downgrades. DL has good players for sure but is Menard on the Emmanuel level? It's the offseason I know but this is a huge stretch.
    Unfortunately this. Plank is average, the other spot is a complete unknown, the d-line is good but not as dominant as people think, and the secondary...sorry but they need to prove themselves. I'm excited about the defense with all of the returning players, and I like the upside and think they have a definite up arrow but I'm not ready to anoint what was arguably the poorest defense of the past 6 years as the preseason greatest ever. I'm fully expecting that they will be better than last year though.

Should be better than last year (definitely deeper), but best ever? I don't think so.

Hope I'm wrong though. Would love to see some young talent step up and dominate their first year.

cbline is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

2013 defensive stats to chew on:

1. Points allowed per game = 11.3

2. Rushing yards allowed per game = 91.3

3. Rushing TD's allowed = 7

4. Bison punted 52 times that year. Opponents: 101

5. Opponents' scoring per quarter: 1st - 34; 2nd - 71; 3rd - 51; 4th - 13