Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Augustana to discuss move to D1

Default Re: Augustana to discuss move to D1

Quote Originally Posted by WhoRepsTheLurker View Post
    None. No more. Not in the Dakotas either. It will only dilute the recruiting pool. That's my two cents.

NMSU, UMKC, hell, even, GCU (if I plug my nose and just look at $$). Summit needs to use this opportunity to move up in quality, not down.
    It would absolutely dilute the talent. Whenever you add 40 more scholarships it's going to do that.

Of course that's if they go D1 in football. Basketball doesn't have many D1 players in either Dakota's. It's the non revenue sports like track & Field, softball, and baseball that would impact.

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

It's a moot point because there will never be another MN D1 school allowed. Augie aint happening either.

Summit needs to aggressively go after NMSU first and foremost. I think they would be interested as soon as IPFW hits the road.

AKBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Moen View Post
    It's amazing that both Dakotas have more DI schools than Minnesota. There's plenty of DII (and DIII) schools in my home state, but I'm not sure any of them are legitimately ready to be DI. Of the following list, which one(s) seems most DI ready?

Bemidji State, Concordia University, UM-Duluth, MSU-Mankato, MSU-Moorhead, SW MSU, SCSU, UM-Crookston or Winona State? My guess would be Mankato and possibly SCSU.
    I think it's Mankato and truthfully it's not close. If they went Pioneer with their football the could pull it off. They have also staked their name to "Minnesota State" which is better for the Summit in terms of marketing. Personally, I love calling them Minnesota State as it drive the Gooher faithful into hysteria.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBison View Post
    I think it's Mankato and truthfully it's not close. If they went Pioneer with their football the could pull it off. They have also staked their name to "Minnesota State" which is better for the Summit in terms of marketing. Personally, I love calling them Minnesota State as it drive the Gooher faithful into hysteria.
    That and change their mascot from Mavericks to Screaming Eagles and add orange to their official school colors would be awesome.

Hail the BISON!!!

Wow. Please, please, please no. These are exactly the teams we don't want to be with. I hope SDSU and USD tell them don't even thing about the summit/MVFC as we don't want you.

(Note, Augie is private, so SDSU and USD will have no direct say on the final decision.)

DePereBisonFan is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Augustana would probably fit better in the MVC, especially if they drop football. Travel partners with Drake maybe.
    "It's important in this life to dream big" - Brock Jensen during one of Kolpack and Izzo's pregame shows of the 2014 season.

"If you quit now, you quit for the rest of your life" - Chris Board 8/17/16 in the forum article.

If any DII team moved up and were to join the MVFC and The Summit, the one I would want is:

I don't know if Northwest Missouri State has the finances or facilities to make the move, but they could be fairly competitive within a few years.
    Hail the BISON!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DePereBisonFan View Post
    Augustana would probably fit better in the MVC, especially if they drop football. Travel partners with Drake maybe.
    Better? With Omaha to the south, 2 bus trips to SD AND 2 more in ND... I highly doubt it.

Besides why would the MVC want a transitioning D2 team when they don't want the other 4 Dakota schools who have actually had proven success?

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    Better? With Omaha to the south, 2 bus trips to SD AND 2 more in ND... I highly doubt it.

Besides why would the MVC want a transitioning D2 team when they don't want the other 4 Dakota schools who have actually had proven success?
    I hate all of you you sissies wanna stay in this crap?
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Moen View Post
    If any DII team moved up and were to join the MVFC and The Summit, the one I would want is:

I don't know if Northwest Missouri State has the finances or facilities to make the move, but they could be fairly competitive within a few years.
    Their fans have made it pretty clear that NWMSU doesn't have the resources or desire to make that jump. As one of their fans recently posted on the D2 Message Board:

NW is not going D1 any time soon or ever, really. We are one of the least funded 4 year institutions in a state that is pulling more and more funding every year from higher ed. The community is small and the only facilities that are ready to be D1 is the football stadium. Literally the only reason NW is ever mentioned for this is because of their athletic success. Schools do it in different ways but NW doesn't have superior funding or large enrollments like other schools. It's just not going to happen.
    Obviously that's just one fan's breakdown of the situation, so unless he's the Athletic Director or President at NWMSU, he's probably not the be all, end all on the matter, but he brings up points that are tough to overlook, even if they are successful right now at the D2 level.

For reference, their football field is supposedly pretty great, but their basketball gym seats 2,500 (and that's when it's packed to capacity) and looks like there's not exactly room for expansion: http://bearcatsports.com/images/2014/5/20/Arena_new.jpg

I'm obviously not a Summit League expert (yet) (just kidding), but I would imagine it would take substantial funding and upgrading to make their basketball arena one that's ready to host the NDSUs and SDSUs of the world. Then again, maybe you guys would disagree.

As far as Augie goes, I would definitely love it, but it would be a tough sell to the football crowd I would imagine. I'm more or less a basketball-only guy, so the idea of jumping up to the Summit is an exciting one, but convincing the football crowd that we're going to the Pioneer League and whatnot might not go over as smoothly.

I get why many of you wouldn't like to see Augie move up, but based on what I've been reading on several different forums and a few of the news reports, the question that was asked earlier in this thread seems to be a hard one to ignore. If your options are a conference implosion or inviting a D2 that has moved up, it would seem that at least having an interest in the D2-to-D1 jumper makes sense, but that's easy for me to say as an alum of the school that would possibly make the jump.

Several fans, both here and on other forums, seem to be pretty convinced that snagging NMSU and Grand Canyon is as simple as calling up their ADs and asking if they want to come hang out for a few years. Obviously I'm exaggerating, but it seems like that's the vibe I get from a few of the fan bases in this region. If that happens, then that's obviously great for the Summit. If it doesn't work out that smoothly, it'll be interesting a couple of years from now, particularly if IPFW gets snagged.

Regarding Mankato, I'd be surprised if they make the jump, but certainly not shocked. It's a similar situation to Augie in terms of having to drop football or go Pioneer League, but with better funding. At the same time, they have to deal with Minnesota not wanting other D1s in the state, which is tricky.

In general, Augie seems to have the best overall chance out of the realistic D2 schools (Augie, Mankato, Northwest Missouri State, Lindenwood, etc.), but maybe that's just me looking at it through biased eyes.

EDIT: To be clear, I'm not saying I expect this to happen anytime soon. Just saying, if a D2 school were to move up, I feel like it would make more sense for Augie to do it than some of the others mentioned. Then again, we'd also need a crapload of money to make it happen. Any of you guys have extra money lying around to donate to your favorite D2 athletic program so we can jump D1?
    Last edited by MrAugustana; 07-01-2017 at 10:31 PM. Reason: additional thought