Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Recruits

Default Re: 2018 Recruits

Metz also loses a close match.

Both losses were against Illinois kids today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hail the BISON!!!

Bisonwinagn is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Noah Cressell latest commit. Any news on him?

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonwinagn View Post
    Noah Cressell latest commit. Any news on him?
    At the Fargo tournament, we has top-12 in freestyle at 170, which was the same as Jesse Shearer, and he was also top-16 in greco.

natstar1 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Moen View Post
    Franek is in the 152 LBS Finals of the Junior Freestyle National Championships!

Also, his future teammate, Metz, is currently in the Semifinals at HWT.

Pretty good tournament for two future Bison at the toughest tournament for high school-aged kids in the United States.
    I know it's a different type of wrestling, but what is the ceiling for these guys at NDSU, could they possibly be a national champion?

I have never seen him wrestle and he isn't highly ranked by any publication, but welcome aboard!

Quote Originally Posted by natstar1 View Post
    I know it's a different type of wrestling, but what is the ceiling for these guys at NDSU, could they possibly be a national champion?
    Very doubtful IMO.

Metz has the misfortune of coming into the NCAA in a very difficult HWT period. World, Olympic, and NCAA champion Kyle Snyder has 1 year left, and then Cadet world (and likely Jr world champion) Gable Steveson will jump right into the MN lineup after Snyder graduates from tOSU. I expect world and Olympic greatness from Gable and can't see Metz ever beating him. That's not to mention the Amos', Wood's, Cassioppi's, and Nevills' of the world either. HWT is poised to see a massive influx of talent at the NCAA level, and Metz is certainly a part of it. He's certainly capable of being a multi time AA, but I don't see a championship in there.

For Franek, I just don't see him at the top ever, although I think he'd be a more likely champ than Metz. I think he lacks the requisite length/size for 157, but I do love him at 149. I think his ceiling is more likely in the mid AA range, but that is nothing to sneeze at. On the bright side for him, if he goes 149 there isn't a Kyle Snyder/Gable Steveson all world talent lurking. Zain Retherford will be gone and of the other high schoolers, I'm actually highest on Brayton Lee of Indiana, and he is comparable to Franek.

I don't expect either to be an NCAA champ, but I rarely expect anyone to be a NCAA champ before they hit college. Mark Hall, Gable Steveson, the Valencias, and Chance Marstellar are the most recent ones I've expected to be champs. Thus far Marstellar has dealt with legal and weight troubles and fizzled at the NCAA level (while still doing very well at the senior level); Hall was an NCAA champ as a true Freshman; Steveson is just going to be a Sr in High School next year, and the Valencias were AAs as freshman and I still very much expect Zahid Valencia to win a title (I doubt Anthony does though, simply due to the incredible talent at his projected weight(s))

Quote Originally Posted by natstar1 View Post
    I would say making the finals, especially for Metz doing it multiple times now, is a strong tell-tale of how good these wrestlers are among their peers in the country and how much of a chance they have to be All-Americans at the NCAA DI level.

As far becoming a DI Champion, that all depends on how much they want and work for it. Like recruits for our football team, there's a lot of room for development to being the best. Unlike the football team, the support system is smaller for wrestlers.

Hail the BISON!!!

Default 2018 Recruits

I've seen some rumbling about this on social media, but not sure if true. Is there a chance we'll see wrestling bad boy, Pat Downey, in Green and Gold next year?!?
    Jackrabbit1979 - Bringing delusional Bison fans back down to earth since 2004.

Quote Originally Posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
    I've seen some rumbling about this on social media, but not sure if true. Is there a chance we'll see wrestling bad boy, Pat Downey, in Green and Gold next year?!?
    I hope not. Kid and his father seem to lack the understanding of team and accountability.

Talented, yes, but there's a reason why he wears out his welcome fairly often regardless if he and his dad don't feel it's his fault.

Hail the BISON!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Moen View Post
    I hope not. Kid and his father seem to lack the understanding of team and accountability.

Talented, yes, but there's a reason why he wears out his welcome fairly often regardless if he and his dad don't feel it's his fault.

I'm torn...I love watching the guy compete...but his and his father's antics generally overshadow his accomplishments.

It would make the team a hell of a lot better, but also introduce a notorious bad seed to the room.

My hope for him, and I recognize this is a long shot, is that he never wrestles in college again and goes Greco and battles Gabe Dean for the 85 kg spot. He's tremendous at upper body and he is a world class talent.