Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Recruits

Default Re: 2018 Recruits

Quote Originally Posted by Loose Lips View Post
    That makes sense to me. When did Kish find out he could not get certified there?
    Well, he wrestled at 65kg at University Nationals in June, which is about 143 pounds, so I imagine he was still thinking about making 141 then. Wouldn't Kish need to know a year or two in advance to try to recruit a suitable replacement?

Eastern Michigan announced that they will disband their program. While I think it is awful, especially some of the decisions they made with it, the wrestlers on their roster are fair game now. They have several guys that would fill huge needs for NDSU. Actually, if you combine their team and NDSU's from this past year, it is really solid. Do I expect NDSU to get any of the top tier guys? No. But there is one guy that seems like a logical fit.

Sa'Derian Perry 141: The big one everyone is talking about, who went into NCAAs with a losing record and became an AA. He would immediately fill the hole NDSU has had at 141 and would still have 2 years of eligibility. Probably a ton of interest and competition for him.

Tanner Smith 149: I think he'll be the most sought after guy on the roster. He went undefeated in his redshirt year and notched some really nice wins over Jamal Morris and Matt Zoviotsky. If NDSU were to get him, he and Van Maanen could slot in at 149 and 157 immediately.4 years of eligibility remaining.

Mason Kaufman 157: He had a winning record as a redshirt and could come in and offer up depth with a chance to start. That is about the best opportunity he can expect, outside of a really low D1 school like F&M, Davidson, VMI, Sacred Heart, etc.

Andrew McNally 174: Started at 174 and posted a winning record. He comes with 3 years of eligibility and offers more upside than our guys this past year, while offering more certainty than Shearer.

Brandon Moen 184: He's the most likely get for NDSU IMO. He's an Owatonna MN kid and if he wants to compete for a D1 starting job, NDSU offers a fit. He didn't have a great redshirt year (7-7), but nobody will offer up a ton of money for him. NDSU offers the chance for real mat time and a chance to be close to home. I could see him winding up at a D2 school like Mankato too.

I didn't include Zac Carson, Kayne MacCollum, or Noah Gonser, as they either are at a weight NDSU has a strong starter or they don't offer enough years of eligibility. They also had the #6 HWT in the country as part of their incoming class, so he'll be available. I imagine SDSU will push harrrrrrrrrd for him now. Brandon Fenton ranked #19 at 120 and was a signee for EMU. If NDSU went after him, he'd likely have to sit for 2 years.

Tony Almeida is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
    Eastern Michigan announced that they will disband their program. While I think it is awful, especially some of the decisions they made with it, the wrestlers on their roster are fair game now. They have several guys that would fill huge needs for NDSU. Actually, if you combine their team and NDSU's from this past year, it is really solid. Do I expect NDSU to get any of the top tier guys? No. But there is one guy that seems like a logical fit.

Sa'Derian Perry 141: The big one everyone is talking about, who went into NCAAs with a losing record and became an AA. He would immediately fill the hole NDSU has had at 141 and would still have 2 years of eligibility. Probably a ton of interest and competition for him.

Tanner Smith 149: I think he'll be the most sought after guy on the roster. He went undefeated in his redshirt year and notched some really nice wins over Jamal Morris and Matt Zoviotsky. If NDSU were to get him, he and Van Maanen could slot in at 149 and 157 immediately.4 years of eligibility remaining.

Mason Kaufman 157: He had a winning record as a redshirt and could come in and offer up depth with a chance to start. That is about the best opportunity he can expect, outside of a really low D1 school like F&M, Davidson, VMI, Sacred Heart, etc.

Andrew McNally 174: Started at 174 and posted a winning record. He comes with 3 years of eligibility and offers more upside than our guys this past year, while offering more certainty than Shearer.

Brandon Moen 184: He's the most likely get for NDSU IMO. He's an Owatonna MN kid and if he wants to compete for a D1 starting job, NDSU offers a fit. He didn't have a great redshirt year (7-7), but nobody will offer up a ton of money for him. NDSU offers the chance for real mat time and a chance to be close to home. I could see him winding up at a D2 school like Mankato too.

I didn't include Zac Carson, Kayne MacCollum, or Noah Gonser, as they either are at a weight NDSU has a strong starter or they don't offer enough years of eligibility. They also had the #6 HWT in the country as part of their incoming class, so he'll be available. I imagine SDSU will push harrrrrrrrrd for him now. Brandon Fenton ranked #19 at 120 and was a signee for EMU. If NDSU went after him, he'd likely have to sit for 2 years.
    Interesting. Thanks for the info.

Do you think the EMU incoming HWT is that much better than Vough? I figured SDSU was already in good shape there, without a need to push hard until Hutmacher graduates.

Quote Originally Posted by RadioBison View Post
    Do you think the EMU incoming HWT is that much better than Vough? I figured SDSU was already in good shape there, without a need to push hard until Hutmacher graduates.
    Vough is no longer with the program at SDSU.
    Jackrabbit1979 - Bringing delusional Bison fans back down to earth since 2004.

Quote Originally Posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
    Vough is no longer with the program at SDSU.
    Yep, and couple Vough leaving with SDSU having no legitimate HWT options on the roster, Bono's propensity to start True Freshmen, and SDSU's great NCAA tourney, and I have to think they'll be strong contenders for him.

Yep, and couple Vough leaving with SDSU having no legitimate HWT options on the roster, Bono's propensity to start True Freshmen, and SDSU's great NCAA tourney, and I have to think they'll be strong contenders for him.
    With the Bono being a top candidate for the Wisconsin job, it'll be interesting to see how well SDSU can recruit till the job is filled. If I was a betting man, I would say Pritzlaff gets the job, but I'm not sure if that bridge was burnt down when he left for Michigan in 2011.
    Hail the BISON!!!

I have been able to watch Jangula at Virginia Beach. He is wrestling 152 sophomore division and he will wrestle for 5th tomorrow morning. He is very good on top, he has never picked bottom that I have seen. He has a good low single but needs more variation with his shots and takedowns. I think he wrestled 6 matches today and so he is a battler. He could be someone the Bison really look at for the future. Not many ND wrestlers place at Nationals at Virginia Beach.

I see Jared Franek is wrestling in the Cliff Keen Dream Team Classic wrestling 160. He might be our only standout recruit this year. That dual is on April 14.

Franek won 5 to 2 and should have won by more but he did not do a good job of finishing many of his good low singles. I really look forward to franek wrestling for us. I think he will be a 57 but he is very thick at 160.