Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Verbal: Bartholomew Ogbu

Snowgoose is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: 2018 Verbal: Bartholomew Ogbu

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    No I don't. For the Bison I think it all starts with recruiting well.

I don't know for sure whether the privates recruit or not but it's not just coaching that gets them more success on average than similarly sized public schools in the rural areas. It's the fact that they have year round training facilities in their town with a higher number of competitors that also train year around. Also the families they come from generally make their fair share of money as well so they have the resources to send their kids to camps or fully utilize those training facilities.
    You have a point as well. Also, the center part of this state is going to have hardly any rural towns left in ten years. Only in the NW and East are the small towns still surviving. Shiloh for instance made it to their second football championship ever this year barely beating our a very good New Salem team. When Shiloh goes 11 man they will have a much more difficult time because they will be a small school in that class size.

I am not opposed to having a three class system if it is what the kids want and is what is best for the kids not their parents. However, grouping the privates into one is a little overboard as there is such a difference in size from say an Our Redeemers to a Shanley (I bet the class sizes are almost 10 times as big).

As far as better recruiting for NDSU, Mr Nelson in the twin cities believes Leidner would have gone as high as Wentz if he went to NDSU so maybe its the coaching, purple of course.
    If it flies it dies.

Long for the days of freezing in the south stands of Dacotah Field.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowgoose View Post
    The answer to Shiloh recruiting is, NO. The school does not recruit at all. In fact they have had such turnover in administration you would be blaming lots of different people as they have had 3 activity directors and 3 superintendents in three years. I will say that families that attend all private schools recruit their friends which there is no way to prevent. If there kids are playing traveling ball together they of course discuss their education.

The reason Trinity has fallen a little is their enrollment has to have fallen since the early 90's as they were once Class A in everything. The reason for the uptic in the private schools in the state tournaments has to do with the fact of decreased enrollment statewide while the privates enrollment stays relatively flat. For instance, I attended Oak Grove in the early 90's and the class sizes are very similar to now at 30-50 kids per class. Shiloh only graduated 19 kids last year but will average somewhere around 30-35 going forward which will move them up to 11 man football, which is my opinion better fits their program anyway. The non-Catholic schools tend to be much smaller than their Catholic counterparts due to cost. Cost is about 40% less to attend the Catholic privates. Also, the non-Catholic privates have only won a couple of state championships in major sports ever. Oak Grove has a few, Shiloh has one, Our Redeemers and Williston Trinity don't have any I believe. So it is not like the non-catholics are dominating titles. You could argue why does Linton make the state tourney every year in BB it seems. Well they have good coaching.

Let me ask you a question. Do you think the Bison are cheating cause they are winning? People that are not Bison fans are wondering if they are. Winning causes people to accuse people of false things. I personally think the Bison are dominating because of their culture and coaching. I also wonder if the FCS is a little watered down. Sounds kind of like Class B basketball in my opinion.
    I'm sure that's why the kids that have transferred into those private schools transferred in, the education. I can see it now. Man, I have an awesome history teacher! You should come to Oak Grove to experience it! Yeah, sure, we can play basketball together, but you should really come for the education. Good one. Without a school district, Oak Grove has a much bigger player pool to draw from than the region 1 teams they face. How many times over the past dozen years has Oak Grove been to the Region 1 final? Go look it up. Also, about that recruiting bit. I find it astonishing that Oak Grove can field a number of sub-par C and JV basketball teams, but out of nowhere their varsity teams are quite good. There have a been a few instances over the years when kids just kind of show up. That Holt kid that transferred in. A Kretchman as well

Bartholomeh Ogbu article - playing in today’s ND 9-man Shrine Bowl game

https://bismarcktribune.com/sports/f...f482c0454.html

Also on the roster for the 11 man game is Fargo Oak Grove’s Ben Hoggarth.

Quote Originally Posted by bruinbison View Post
    Bartholomeh Ogbu article - playing in today’s ND 9-man Shrine Bowl game

https://bismarcktribune.com/sports/f...f482c0454.html

Also on the roster for the 11 man game is Fargo Oak Grove’s Ben Hoggarth.
    Sounds like he has a great attitude and will be a good one..
    Best DI Football Team in the Tri-State Area - AGAIN

Scooter1 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by rutlandbison View Post
    I'm sure that's why the kids that have transferred into those private schools transferred in, the education. I can see it now. Man, I have an awesome history teacher! You should come to Oak Grove to experience it! Yeah, sure, we can play basketball together, but you should really come for the education. Good one. Without a school district, Oak Grove has a much bigger player pool to draw from than the region 1 teams they face. How many times over the past dozen years has Oak Grove been to the Region 1 final? Go look it up. Also, about that recruiting bit. I find it astonishing that Oak Grove can field a number of sub-par C and JV basketball teams, but out of nowhere their varsity teams are quite good. There have a been a few instances over the years when kids just kind of show up. That Holt kid that transferred in. A Kretchman as well
    You have no idea what you are talking about.

steelbison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter1 View Post
    You have no idea what you are talking about.
    Sure he does. He is right on the money. I have a friend who's daughter applied to Shiloh. She was a very good student but not an athlete. she didn't get accepted. Now if she was a C student but a good basketball player she would be there without any issue.

If you can't see the major advantages the Private schools have in Class B you are blind. It's not a level playing field.

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by steelbison View Post
    Sure he does. He is right on the money. I have a friend who's daughter applied to Shiloh. She was a very good student but not an athlete. she didn't get accepted. Now if she was a C student but a good basketball player she would be there without any issue.

If you can't see the major advantages the Private schools have in Class B you are blind. It's not a level playing field.
    When I was in high school most of the private schools were in Class A (Trinity, St. Mary's, Ryan, Shanley). Oak Grove was Class B but I don't remember them doing much. There seems to be a lot more private schools now. This is a common problem in many states and there have been multiple solutions attempted (Indiana uses a success factor to bump up any school with sustained success). Remember private schools have to recruit all their students. No matter what they do the athletics issue will always be questioned. Public schools recruit just as much for athletics.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Snowgoose is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Sorry, but you actually have no idea what you are talking about and if your friend told you they were not accepted based on the facts you described it is factually a lie. Most non catholic Private schools struggle mightily with general fund revenue and thus need as many students as they can to be able to pay staff and balance the budget. They would never turn down a student as you describe. Believe me I know. Private schools like Shiloh accept all the students they can get accept for a major reason such as the family does not agree with the Christian code established by a school upfront. The vast majority of the time families don't come after they find out how much it is going to cost.

As I said in a previous post, private schools do have an advantage, but. that is mainly the result of dwindling school enrollments around the state in Class B. I attended Oak Grove for two years in the early 90's and they had not won a state basketball title since 67 at that point. Their rise has happened as the result of increased enrollment while other schools are slowly decreasing outside of their region. Also, big city kids just have more resources to their disposal if they take advantage of them.
    If it flies it dies.

Long for the days of freezing in the south stands of Dacotah Field.

natstar1 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Shiloh doesn't like money. Right.

First off, I sure hope private schools are recruiting students. That’s someone’s job to keep up enrollment so the school, you know, stays open. Whether said person targets good athletes...I’m sure it happens naturally but I’ve never seen evidence of it from an administrative standpoint. But the privates are inherently disadvantaged by excluding non-religious and lower income families (God might not be a deal-breaker, but $$$ definitely is). So enrollment will always be less at privates thus relegating them to lower classses. However, due to various socio-economic reasons pointed out previously, the kids going to private schools are more likely to be involved athletically. So yeah, those schools might be slightly more successful. Not by any nefarious means, just the simple fact that typically a higher percentage of students have also been involved in athletics their whole life. If you consider that not a level playing field, I’d say you’re just jealous.