Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Newman Outdoor Field Net

Default Re: Newman Outdoor Field Net

[QUOTE=roadwarrior;1210224]It seems that the new screen is easier to see through. There will be fewer people taken to the hospital from now on.[/QUOTE]

There probably will be, but the bigger question is how many were taken there before? Did they find an answer for a problem that really did not exist?
    "Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because it is wrong" E. O. Wilson

"I'm not crazy my mother had me tested". Sheldon Cooper

My boss hates it when I shorten his name to Dick, mainly because his name is Steven.

AKBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

This is becoming more and more common for liability reasons in Baseball stadiums around the country. This isn't an NDSU thing or RedHawks things. It sucks though because it is definetly distracting for fans.

AKBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by coldspot View Post
    They wouldn't have to put up nets like that if everybody would just put their phone down and watch what's happening on the field

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Definetly this

[QUOTE=Mr Meaty;1210226]
    Quote Originally Posted by roadwarrior View Post
    It seems that the new screen is easier to see through. There will be fewer people taken to the hospital from now on.[/QUOTE]

There probably will be, but the bigger question is how many were taken there before? Did they find an answer for a problem that really did not exist?
    It existed and actually know some that had it happen to them.

It just about happened to my youngest last year. She had just came out of the door and onto the steps of the suite when a bullet of a ball came fouled back. Threw my arm out and back and to push her back. The ball missed her but man did that thing hit hard. I have seen multiple ones hit like that up in the suites those fastballs that are just missed a bit low can make ya pucker a bit.

Does the new net protect the beer garden? I have seen quite a few get ripped into there and well not everyone is paying that great of attention in there.

[QUOTE=Bison"FANatic";1210240]
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Meaty View Post

It existed and actually know some that had it happen to them.

It just about happened to my youngest last year. She had just came out of the door and onto the steps of the suite when a bullet of a ball came fouled back. Threw my arm out and back and to push her back. The ball missed her but man did that thing hit hard. I have seen multiple ones hit like that up in the suites those fastballs that are just missed a bit low can make ya pucker a bit.

Does the new net protect the beer garden? I have seen quite a few get ripped into there and well not everyone is paying that great of attention in there.
    The new net does not protect the beer garden. The post is right in front of the red seats on the 3rd base line. I will try and get some pictures for those that don't attend Redhawks games so they can see the new set up.

Quote Originally Posted by imabison View Post
    MY guess is that somewhere liabilty insurance comes in to play
    As in the case of Iowa Central Community College baseball field of Fort Dodge, Iowa. You want to feel in a cage???? You ain't felt nothing yet. I was there to umpire a double header. Their netting extends at least eighty feet in the air, half way down left and right field. It's the biggest, highest, largest netting you will ever see in your life. When I asked the coach of Iowa Central the reason for the hugh net, his response was, "We had to." What do you mean, "You had to."? "It was court order." The home owners association took the college to court. Apparently, the home owners were tired of foul balls landing on the street and denting cars, breaking windshields, and damaging the siding of their homes. Imagine that!!! The judge ruled in the home owners' favor. In fact, a few foul balls (not many) still go over the net, If the foul balls land on a home owners lawn, shaggers can't step on the lawn to retrieve the balls. The homes, apparently, were there before the field was built. True story.

Quote Originally Posted by southcliffbison View Post
    As in the case of Iowa Central Community College baseball field of Fort Dodge, Iowa. You want to feel in a cage???? You ain't felt nothing yet. I was there to umpire a double header. Their netting extends at least eighty feet in the air, half way down left and right field. It's the biggest, highest, largest netting you will ever see in your life. When I asked the coach of Iowa Central the reason for the hugh net, his response was, "We had to." What do you mean, "You had to."? "It was court order." The home owners association took the college to court. Apparently, the home owners were tired of foul balls landing on the street and denting cars, breaking windshields, and damaging the siding of their homes. Imagine that!!! The judge ruled in the home owners' favor. In fact, a few foul balls (not many) still go over the net, If the foul balls land on a home owners lawn, shaggers can't step on the lawn to retrieve the balls. The homes, apparently, were there before the field was built. True story.
    Some of the fields in the top leagues in Korea and Japan have fan protection from foul pole to foul pole. People freaked out when the NHL added netting behind the goals, too. It turned out to be a big fat nothing burger. Extended fan protection at baseball fields is happening, people will get over it, it will be fine.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Oh come on, no netting is needed since the Pink Hawks can't even hit the ball.....

Fake news.

Amen, brother! Why go to the game if you spend half the time looking down at your lap?

Quote Originally Posted by coldspot View Post
    They wouldn't have to put up nets like that if everybody would just put their phone down and watch what's happening on the field

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    It's OK to not be OK.

Nothing different at the Bird Cage in Sioux Falls, including the Canaries being bad. But, oh, they took away some decent concessions, eliminated any decent beer, and have less beer lines. And they wonder why their attendance is second worst in the league.