Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Recruiting Summary

Default Re: 2018 Recruiting Summary

Quote Originally Posted by 56BISON73 View Post
    They want to play for THE National Championship. Not a. If they wanted to just do that they could go NAIA, D3, D2 and FCS. No matter how you try to stack it---FCS to the G5 or the G5 moving to FCS you will never get rid of the desire for most of these kids to play with and against the big boys.
    Plus its a hard argument for the G5 having to learn their place when even the also rans are going to a bowl and the school is getting a bowl check.
    The level of kids we recruit know they are not playing for THE National Championship. Our kids are high FCS level kids that are also recruited by G5 schools. Any kid going to a G5 school knows there is no chance to play for THE National Championship. Their best hope is a nice bowl game on New Year’s Day.

Playing for the NCAA DI Title is one of the main reasons why I believe NDSU wins a lot of battles against G5 schools for recruits.

And yes, in regards to G5 conferences, they’re full of themselves, well at least the MW, while their schools hemorrhage money (especially the MAC schools).

How all this relates to this thread is that we NDSU fans shouldn't be too upset when losing recruits to teams from the Big 10 and Big 12 as that means our coaches are recruiting pretty good athletes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Christopher Moen; 12-04-2017 at 08:54 AM.
    Hail the BISON!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Moen View Post
    You’re kind of making my point, except the part where kids want to play for a National Championship than the Potato Bowl in Boise.

The G5 schools need to learn their place in that they are not in the same league as the P5 schools, but are contemporaries with the best schools in the FCS. Hence, why they need to drop to our level and create a better, bigger NCAA DI Playoff system. Image NDSU playing Boise State/Central Florida/San Diego State in a 40-50,000 seat stadium for the Championship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Why are you bringing up g5 when ndsu lost 2 recruits to p5?

We are going to lose kids 9 out of 10 times head to head with the P5, period. My belief is as the recruit gets further away from Fargo the less chance we have at retaining if the P5 comes knocking late with any type of offer. In most situations, I like our chances of a full ride vs a gray shirt to a P5 school, but walking in Moss' shoes he grew up an Iowa fan and tough to say no to Kirk Ferentz sitting in your living room eating pork chops with your family when you idolized him growing up...

Celebrate the successes we have had with kids like Gindorf and Radunz, even kids like Max Bautch who chose an NDSU PWO vs Minni PWO. These won't happen every year but are great wins when they do happen.....Chance to have a couple kids who fit the same mold in this class if things hold until signing day. Enjoy the ride!

Quote Originally Posted by Herd890 View Post
    We are going to lose kids 9 out of 10 times head to head with the P5, period. My belief is as the recruit gets further away from Fargo the less chance we have at retaining if the P5 comes knocking late with any type of offer. In most situations, I like our chances of a full ride vs a gray shirt to a P5 school, but walking in Moss' shoes he grew up an Iowa fan and tough to say no to Kirk Ferentz sitting in your living room eating pork chops with your family when you idolized him growing up...

Celebrate the successes we have had with kids like Gindorf and Radunz, even kids like Max Bautch who chose an NDSU PWO vs Minni PWO. These won't happen every year but are great wins when they do happen.....Chance to have a couple kids who fit the same mold in this class if things hold until signing day. Enjoy the ride!
    Yep, this is just like the TE out of Cedar Rapids (Beyer I think was his name) that decommitted to flip to the Hawkeyes a couple recruiting classes ago. I'm sure Iowa guys like Klieman and Entz know as well as anyone that any verbal they get from Iowa is as good as gone if the Hawkeyes offer them. Grey shirt isn't technically an "offer" but, assuming the coaches/recruiters aren't complete sleazeballs, he'll be on scholarship after his first year. I doubt there's any Iowa kids committed to NDSU that would say no to that.

Don't know if I want a kid who idolized Kirk ferentz on this team

Quote Originally Posted by 56BISON73 View Post
    They want to play for THE National Championship. Not a. If they wanted to just do that they could go NAIA, D3, D2 and FCS. No matter how you try to stack it---FCS to the G5 or the G5 moving to FCS you will never get rid of the desire for most of these kids to play with and against the big boys.
    Plus its a hard argument for the G5 having to learn their place when even the also rans are going to a bowl and the school is getting a bowl check.
    If they want to play for THE championship, there are only about 10 teams (that's a stretch) that have a chance and none of them are in Iowa.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote Originally Posted by SamsRams View Post
    If you need an early signing period to force an athlete to play at your school you aren’t recruiting the right athlete. The more that get poached now the easier it will be for coaches to find athletes who actually want to go to school at NDSU.
    They don't actually want to goto school at NDSU, they settle because most cant get Power 5 scholarships.
    NDSU are losing recruits BECAUSE we are FCS.... 4-5 kids a year. that is a FACT>
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

Jay is online now Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Bison 4 Life View Post
    If they want to play for THE championship, there are only about 10 teams (that's a stretch) that have a chance and none of them are in Iowa.
    Iowa has been relevant 3-4 times in the past 10-15 years where they would have had an outside chance at the playoff if it existed when it did. (2002, 2004, 2015).

Think about the schools you play AGAINST in the Big Ten. Think about those stadiums. You are a 17 or 18 year old....think about it. Big House, Horse shoe, etc. Big Ten is bigtime football. It SUCKS to lose kids, but lets sit back and think about it. You may not be 18, so think through their eyes. Just my opinion. Fun to see who our next options are. My issue, it is really hard to get DB's to Fargo. So hopefully we can reload.
    Everyone just relax, all right? Believe me, if there's one thing Ron Burgundy knows, it's women.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Burgundy View Post
    Think about the schools you play AGAINST in the Big Ten. Think about those stadiums. You are a 17 or 18 year old....think about it. Big House, Horse shoe, etc. Big Ten is bigtime football. It SUCKS to lose kids, but lets sit back and think about it. You may not be 18, so think through their eyes. Just my opinion. Fun to see who our next options are. My issue, it is really hard to get DB's to Fargo. So hopefully we can reload.
    Agree. Stars have to really align to bring kids in over offers from P5 schools. Should make us appreciate that kids who do stick to their verbals.