Page 24 of 80 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Verbal: Trey Lance

Default Re: 2018 Verbal: Trey Lance 2018 QB Commit*** over NIU, Air Force

Quote Originally Posted by Greta Van Herd View Post
    I think Trey will be the starter. And I think they've known that Trey will be the starter since, oh let's say, the day he committed.
    It is my opinion that you are totally correct in every aspect of your opinion on this matter.

How crazy is that?

I think Trey will be the starter. And I think they've known that Trey will be the starter since, oh let's say, the day he committed.
    This is true. Zeb was just brought in to make sure Trey didn’t get complacent. And he didn’t, nor will he. The kid has NFL talent. And he was absolutely “the guy” in that presser. Trey was dropping 60 yard dimes in his freaking high school film. He scored on a 44 yard scramble on a busted play in his first action at NDSU. If you think their is a QB competition, you’ve been listening to coach speak, not watching film.

Also, I’ve heard for awhile, and it’s basically confirmed now that Noah Sanders has no plans to ever leave the program. So much speculation that he’d be gone when he’s relegated to 3rd string. People on here gotta realize that we are recruiting specifically to have guys that are career backups sometimes. We won’t get top QB recruits for a couple years after Trey rips it up this year. And when Trey is a Junior, we will focus on getting our top QB recruit. The guys in between will be high upside athletes that compete. And dudes that are ok contributing on 3rd string/scout team when they know starting isn’t in their future. We’ve got a perfect flow going for almost a decade of Bison QBs. I hope the one deviation we’ve made (a transfer) will embrace his roll as a backup that is capable of leading us to a title if something happens to Trey.

Eastern foothills of the turtle mountains.

Doesn't hurt to have a quality back up. No guarentee Trey will be as durable as Easton Stick.

Lardsin must go!

Twincitybizon is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by scottietohottie View Post
    Doesn't hurt to have a quality back up. No guarentee Trey will be as durable as Easton Stick.
    Agree, this is why zeb is really important. Could take a hit on any play. Don't want to be like the bunnies throwing concussed QBs back in the game to die ..

Quote Originally Posted by bison_by_blood View Post
    This is true. Zeb was just brought in to make sure Trey didn’t get complacent. And he didn’t, nor will he. The kid has NFL talent. And he was absolutely “the guy” in that presser. Trey was dropping 60 yard dimes in his freaking high school film. He scored on a 44 yard scramble on a busted play in his first action at NDSU. If you think their is a QB competition, you’ve been listening to coach speak, not watching film.

Also, I’ve heard for awhile, and it’s basically confirmed now that Noah Sanders has no plans to ever leave the program. So much speculation that he’d be gone when he’s relegated to 3rd string. People on here gotta realize that we are recruiting specifically to have guys that are career backups sometimes. We won’t get top QB recruits for a couple years after Trey rips it up this year. And when Trey is a Junior, we will focus on getting our top QB recruit. The guys in between will be high upside athletes that compete. And dudes that are ok contributing on 3rd string/scout team when they know starting isn’t in their future. We’ve got a perfect flow going for almost a decade of Bison QBs. I hope the one deviation we’ve made (a transfer) will embrace his roll as a backup that is capable of leading us to a title if something happens to Trey.
    Damn that's on hell of a hot take- the guy is destined for the NFL and he hasnt played a single game as a starter? I hope you're right, but wow
    1. The FCS was the Best option for NDSU for a very long time.
    2. As a general rule- the FCS sucks at football and has proven that is not committed to football at all.
    3. It's time to go FBS

Quote Originally Posted by MankatoBison View Post
    Damn that's on hell of a hot take- the guy is destined for the NFL and he hasnt played a single game as a starter? I hope you're right, but wow
    Plus I seriously doubt he was brought in to JUST make sure Trey doesnt get complacent. Not a good recruiting strategy.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

BisonNeil is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by bison_by_blood View Post

Trey had never been under center until he got to NDSU according to an interview I heard from his coach last year, and he has struggled with his footwork coming from under center. So he is raw in that regard and has work to do if the Bison are still going to run power formations from the QB under center. There can be no question however that he is a major talent.

89MTBISON is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by BisonNeil View Post
    Trey had never been under center until he got to NDSU according to an interview I heard from his coach last year, and he has struggled with his footwork coming from under center. So he is raw in that regard and has work to do if the Bison are still going to run power formations from the QB under center. There can be no question however that he is a major talent.
    I hope we aren't recruiting QBs, or anyone else for that matter, who has "footwork" trouble. Great athletes at the QB position can hand the ball off with or without perfect footwork. We've had three great QBs here, they all had different "footwork" and different throwing motions, somehow we won all those championships. Way too much emphasis today placed on cookie cutter athletes. Tom Brady is great, so is Aaron Rodgers, they throw completely different and their "footwork" is as well.

Quote Originally Posted by 89MTBISON View Post
    I hope we aren't recruiting QBs, or anyone else for that matter, who has "footwork" trouble. Great athletes at the QB position can hand the ball off with or without perfect footwork. We've had three great QBs here, they all had different "footwork" and different throwing motions, somehow we won all those championships. Way too much emphasis today placed on cookie cutter athletes. Tom Brady is great, so is Aaron Rodgers, they throw completely different and their "footwork" is as well.
    So I'm not quite sure if you're saying footwork is or isn't important in high school recruits but I'd tend to think the better strategy is to recruit the guys with the physical tools and teach them the footwork if necessary. None of these guys were born with great footwork from under center. They learn it whether that's in high school or college. You can't teach a guy to be able to throw it 60 yards or outrun DBs.

89MTBISON is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I'm not concerned with the skill position players we recruit having the physical ability to do what we ask of them. I'm more concerned with what goes on between the ears. And yes you can teach/train someone to throw the ball 60 yards, speed on the other hand is much harder to develop. Recruit kids that are great athletes and human beings on and off the field.