Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2017 NCAA T& F Meet

Default Re: 2017 NCAA T& F Meet

Quote Originally Posted by IzzyFlexion View Post
    Geez!
    5 1/2 feet further than the school record that she set this year.
    That is pretty damn impressive.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by roper1313 View Post
    Katelyn Weirmerskirch (that's tough on my thumbs) advances to Eugene in the hammer with a throw of 212-11!! Good for 6th.
    Quote Originally Posted by IzzyFlexion View Post
    Geez! 5 1/2 feet further than the school record that she set this year.
    That is impressive. Great Job Katelyn.

Also interesting ... Molly Detloff (UND) threw 213', which was about 11 feet further than she had ever thrown. This is impressive too.

What do you all think about yesterdays (Thursdays) performances. I thought it was a mixed bag. A few people had off days, others did well. Some were down from their personal bests when personal bests (one would hope) would be happening given the grandness of this stage and (hopefully) with training tailored for the athletes to peak at this time of year.

Forgot to mention: Temperature was in the low 90s - it was 93 degrees about 4pm or so - which the Bison athletes are not used to. Perhaps this helped some, hampered others.
    Last edited by Buffalo.Rider; 05-26-2017 at 06:38 PM.

There were some very good individual performances today (Friday) at the NCAA T & F meet. Three more qualified for the final rounds to be held June 7-10. Weimerskirch (Discus- W), Janssen (3000m Steeplechase - W), and Renner (Shot Put - M). Weimerskirch had a great Th and Fr - two school records in two events.

Quite a few disappointing performances, in my view. My perspective on T & F athletes is that they should peak at the end of the season - fastest times, longest or highest jumps, longest throws, and so on. I think Weimerskirch is the only athlete that did this. It is great to get to the NCAA finals, and everyone who did this deserves a lot of recognition - this is not trivial. Everyone who got into the West Regional deserves a lot of credit - this is also non-trivial. That said, most performed better this outdoor season than they did at the NCAA West Regional - which is too bad.

Still one more day of competition. Let's see how things go tomorrow (Saturday)

Houston Cougar sprinter Cameron Burrell had the best time in the men's 100 meter quarter finals at 9.95.

Does anyone know if he is related to Allen Burrell? (Bison sprinter and school record holder from the early 2000s)

Looks like Cameron's dad Leroy Burrell, who is his current track coach, was a former world record holder.

I found an ancestry site showing an Allen Burrell was born in 1923 that had a brother named Leroy born in 1935. I'm guessing here, but the current Houston coach might be a Leroy II.

Congrats to all the Bison who made it to the Final Weekend of the NCAAs !

Two notable performances stood out ... there are others ...
    • Rose Jackson (NDSU) ran a 51.86 final 400m leg on the 4 x 400m that qualified for the Final Weekend, per the NCAA website: http://live.pttiming.com/?mid=1236
    • Texas A&M 4 x 400m Men's team ran a 3:00.69. That is an average time of slightly more than 45 seconds per person. For college, that is 'good golly, sweet molly' impressive.
    Last edited by Buffalo.Rider; 05-30-2017 at 05:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo.Rider View Post
    Congrats to all the Bison who made it to the Final Weekend of the NCAAs !

Two notable performances stood out ... there are others ...
    • Rose Jackson (NDSU) ran a 51.86 final 400m leg on the 4 x 400m that qualified for the Final Weekend, per the NCAA website: http://live.pttiming.com/?mid=1236
    • Texas A&M 4 x 400m Men's team ran a 3:00.69. That is an average time of slightly more than 45 seconds per person. For college, that is 'good golly, sweet molly' impressive.
    That's Cookin'! 3:00.58 is 10th on the all-time list.
    They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time.

Rose Jackson, a 1st Team All-American Indoors in the Pentathlon, is not competing in Eugene OR at the NCAA in the Outdoor Heptathlon. According to tfrrs.org, there are 3 people tied at 23rd best Hep score in the nation, and Rose is next at 26th. Anyone know for sure ... looks like she missed making the NCAAs in the outdoor multi-event by one place (and by about 10 points).

dufferole is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Renner finished 8th in the shot put.

Quote Originally Posted by dufferole View Post
    Renner finished 8th in the shot put.
    Amazing that every one of his throws went over 62'.

And Matti Mortimore took 5th in the javelin.

Two All-Americans in one day!