Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 31 to 40 of 40

Thread: 2017 NCAA T& F Meet

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    480

    Default Re: 2017 NCAA T& F Meet

    Molly Detloff (UND) got 12th in the Hammer Throw, (206') - UND's first Division I All-American (2nd team All-American).
    Regardless of how one feels about UND, it is a great accomplishment.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    480

    Default Re: 2017 NCAA T& F Meet

    Interesting to look through the results. Everyone at that level is a great athlete.

    Here are what seem to me to be some of the highlights on the women's side:
    • A freshman won the Womens' 3000m Steeplechase, with an impressive time of 9:41 (Boise State. Allie Ostrander). Teschuk, an Olympian for Canada, ran 9:40 for her best collegiate time at NDSU.
    • Kyra Jefferson (Florida) ran 22.02 in the 200m, the best ever collegiate time in the 200m.
    • Oregon ran a 3:23.13 4x400m, the best ever collegiate time. The prior best was 3:23.75 (Texas, 2004) That is flying. That is an average 400m of less than 51 seconds per leg. Interestingly, they were pushed to the end by USC, which ran about two tenths slower, and would have been the best ever collegiate time had Oregon not beat them. This, the final race of the NCAAs, looks like it was a great one.
    • Rogers (Oregon) in the 800m is going to have an impressive career when she is done. Won her 2nd or 3rd outdoor 800m. I thought it would be sometime before Oregon got another Roesler-like talent at that distance, but they got one right away in Rogers. (and she ran a 49.77 final leg in the record 4x400m)


    On the men's side - certainly some great events, but overall not on a par with top women's performances.
    • Kerley's 400m in 44.10 is a great time.
    • Korir's 800m in 1:45.03 is pretty darn good.
    • The men's distance events, especially the 5000m, were all relatively slow, must have been tactical races. (Nothing could be as bad however as the 1500m at the last Olympics).
    • The one men's event that really shone was the 4x400m, running under 3:00 (twice - once in the prelims and again in the final, just missing the all-time collegiate mark both times).
    Last edited by Buffalo.Rider; 06-13-2017 at 02:54 PM. Reason: rogers, leg in 4x400m

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    West Fargo
    Posts
    10,825

    Default Re: 2017 NCAA T& F Meet

    In the women's 4 X 400, Oregon came very close to blowing it. I believe it was the anchor leg......the Oregon runner allowed the USC girl to pass her on the INSIDE going around turn 1. The Oregon runner later re-gained the lead and was barely able to hold on for the win. I've never seen that happen at this high of a level. If Oregon had lost that race, and subsequently team title by 2 tenths of a point, that mistake would have been talked about for a long time.

  4. #34

    Default Re: 2017 NCAA T& F Meet

    Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo.Rider View Post
    Interesting to look through the results. Everyone at that level is a great athlete.

    Here are what seem to me to be some of the highlights on the women's side:
    • A freshman won the Womens' 3000m Steeplechase, with an impressive time of 9:41 (Boise State. Allie Ostrander). Teschuk, an Olympian for Canada, ran 9:40 for her best collegiate time at NDSU.
    • Kyra Jefferson (Florida) ran 22.02 in the 200m, the best ever collegiate time in the 200m.
    • Oregon ran a 3:23.13 4x400m, the best ever collegiate time. The prior best was 3:23.75 (Texas, 2004) That is flying. That is an average 400m of less than 51 seconds per leg. Interestingly, they were pushed to the end by USC, which ran about two tenths slower, and would have been the best ever collegiate time had Oregon not beat them. This, the final race of the NCAAs, looks like it was a great one.
    • Rogers (Oregon) in the 800m is going to have an impressive career when she is done. Won her 2nd or 3rd outdoor 800m. I thought it would be sometime before Oregon got another Roesler-like talent at that distance, but they got one right away in Rogers.


    On the men's side - certainly some great events, but overall not on a par with top women's performances.
    • Kerley's 400m in 44.10 is a great time.
    • Korir's 800m in 1:45.03 is pretty darn good.
    • The men's distance events, especially the 5000m, were all relatively slow, must have been tactical races. (Nothing could be as bad however as the 1500m at the last Olympics).
    • The one men's event that really shone was the 4x400m, running under 3:00 (twice - once in the prelims and again in the final, just missing the all-time collegiate mark both times).
    The new collegiate record in the men's 100m doesn't make the list?

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fargo
    Posts
    779

    Default Re: 2017 NCAA T& F Meet

    Quote Originally Posted by BisonJump View Post
    The new collegiate record in the men's 100m doesn't make the list?
    He is all about the distances. Snooze
    They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time.


  6. #36
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    480

    Default Re: 2017 NCAA T& F Meet

    Quote Originally Posted by BisonJump View Post
    The new collegiate record in the men's 100m doesn't make the list?
    Looked at it, didn't see it - was it in a prelim? Might have missed it if it was there. If it was in a prelim at one of the regionals, then pretty good chance I did not see it - I did not go through all those.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    480

    Default Re: 2017 NCAA T& F Meet

    Quote Originally Posted by Castor Troy View Post
    He is all about the distances. Snooze
    Ha ! Not !

  8. #38

    Default Re: 2017 NCAA T& F Meet

    Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo.Rider View Post
    Looked at it, didn't see it - was it in a prelim? Might have missed it if it was there. If it was in a prelim at one of the regionals, then pretty good chance I did not see it - I did not go through all those.
    Yeah it was in the semi. 9.82 makes him the 9th fastest human ever. It doesn't seem that long ago when Maurice Greene had the world record at 9.79 but I'm getting old.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fargo
    Posts
    779

    Default Re: 2017 NCAA T& F Meet

    Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo.Rider View Post
    Ha ! Not !

    Actually I give you mad props for your track fandom.
    They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time.


  10. #40
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    480

    Default Re: 2017 NCAA T& F Meet

    Quote Originally Posted by Castor Troy View Post
    Actually I give you mad props for your track fandom.
    Merci Beaucoup !

    I wish we had more people commenting on these track and field pages. With all the different events, it is a difficult sport to follow in respects. There are a lot of individual athletes involved, and new people every year that blossom. So it helps when other posters mention things - they know about things the rest of us don't.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •