Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2017 NCAA T& F Meet

Hybrid View

Default 2017 NCAA T& F Meet

This thread is intended for both the West Regional T & F meet on 5/25 to 5/27 as well as the Finals meet two weeks later on June 7-10.

Default Re: 2017 NCAA T& F Meet

I found this interesting:
    For 20 of the Women's 21 entries in the NCAA West Regional, the personal best was also a season best, meaning their personal best in that event was achieved this year, during this outdoor track and field season. That is impressive. For the odd one out, the personal best and season best were almost the same.

I think we generally expect athletes to improve every year (I do), but it doesn't always happen.
    Injuries, girlfriend or boyfriend issues, sickness ... lots of things can happen to hamper performances.

I was a little surprised that Morgan is not running the 400m Hurdles - she qualified for it. Makes sense though, her high probability events are the open 400m and the 4 x 400m relay. Why do a lower probability event and put in jeopardy the better ones due to fatigue (trying to do too much).

On the men's side:
    For 11 of the Men's 12 entries in the NCAA West Regional, the personal best was also a season best. For the one that was not (Austin Schmidt), his season best (this outdoor season) was 226-6 in the Javelin, whereas last year he had his personal best of 226-7, only one inch more. So basically all the men are performing as well or better than last year. Once again, this is impressive.

For both the men and the women, I wish them a great NCAA ... and that they aren't intimidated by the competition. Be defiant men and women !

From listening to interviews with some of our track and field student athletes, NDSU T & F is known across the country. We do not sneak up on anyone anymore. NDSU athletes are just as good as everyone else competing. It will just come down to that day and how each is feeling. Go out there are do your best as we all know you will. Show more of the country what Bison Pride is all about. Horns Up. Go Bison.
    "Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because it is wrong" E. O. Wilson

"I'm not crazy my mother had me tested". Sheldon Cooper

My boss hates it when I shorten his name to Dick, mainly because his name is Steven.

Only 13 schools in the west region are sending more women to the west prelims than NDSU.

5 Bison women will compete in the hammer!

Fred Kerely from TX A&M qualifying time in the 400m is 44.09. Over a second faster than anyone else. Holy $hit!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by roper1313 View Post
    Fred Kerely from TX A&M qualifying time in the 400m is 44.09. Over a second faster than anyone else. Holy $hit!!
    The equivalent to running 4 nonstop 100 meters dashes at 11.02. Of course, the final 3 100 meter segments are from a running start.........but given the brutal nature of sprinting for a full quarter of a mile...............44.09 is ridiculous speed & grit!

For a point of reference, at the 2016 Olympic games in Rio, South Africa's Wayde Van Niekerk ran an otherworldly time of 43.03 setting the new world record in that event!!!!! (10.757 seconds per 100 meters)

http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/way...ns-400m-record

Matti Mortimore is sitting in 4th halfway through the javelin. 230-4.

Edit- looks like the javelin is done. The results page shows columns for 6 throws, but they only get 3. Congrats to Matti on advancing to Eugene!!

Katelyn Weirmerskirch (that's tough on my thumbs) advances to Eugene in the hammer with a throw of 212-11!! Good for 6th.

Quote Originally Posted by roper1313 View Post
    Katelyn Weirmerskirch (that's tough on my thumbs) advances to Eugene in the hammer with a throw of 212-11!! Good for 6th.
    Geez!
    5 1/2 feet further than the school record that she set this year.