Thread: UD Flyers New Arena

Default UD Flyers New Arena

WOW

http://www.springfieldnewssun.com/sp...x3sksqcskrOKO/

That might get them to a higher level for sure
    NDSU Athletics: oderint dum metuant

CyPanth is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: UD Flyers New Arena

Is this really a "new arena?" Or just a facelift on an old building? It could use it. Right now, it is just a basic functional building and not very up-to-date.
    "You should host seminars on how to behave on opposing fan forums. Charge a pretty penny toward that Bison tailgating rig. " from Milkman 1/6/2016

Quote Originally Posted by CyPanth View Post
    Is this really a "new arena?" Or just a facelift on an old building? It could use it. Right now, it is just a basic functional building and not very up-to-date.
    72 Million Dollar Renovation, but that makes it pretty much new
    NDSU Athletics: oderint dum metuant

The arena is actually a bit small and outdated for its usage, particularly for NCAA basketball, but it has some special deal with the NCAA. I think it has hosted more NCAA tournament games than any other venue. This may be part of the reason they are pouring serious money into it.
    "You should host seminars on how to behave on opposing fan forums. Charge a pretty penny toward that Bison tailgating rig. " from Milkman 1/6/2016

The arena is actually a bit small and outdated for its usage, particularly for NCAA basketball, but it has some special deal with the NCAA. I think it has hosted more NCAA tournament games than any other venue. This may be part of the reason they are pouring serious money into it.
    Sioux Falls has been aggressively pursuing the First Four. Upgrading the arena could be a reaction to that (among other factors, obviously). Supposedly the last time the First Four was bid, it was very close. Maybe Dayton gave assurances there would be facility improvements.

$72 million of renovations in a 12 month period is a monumental task.

I'm moving to Dayton this summer. I was really surprised at how nice it was. Never did more than drive through on the highway.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote Originally Posted by wow View Post
    Sioux Falls has been aggressively pursuing the First Four. Upgrading the arena could be a reaction to that (among other factors, obviously). Supposedly the last time the First Four was bid, it was very close. Maybe Dayton gave assurances there would be facility improvements.

$72 million of renovations in a 12 month period is a monumental task.

Dayton's monopoly on the First Four couldn't last forever. It is fun to think that Sioux [Falls] may have been putting pressure on them. Although I don't recall hearing about it, I could see Des Moines making a push also, now that they have established themselves as a legit NCAA First and Second round location.
    Last edited by CyPanth; 05-12-2017 at 04:59 PM. Reason: Corrected Sioux City to Sioux Falls

Dayton's monopoly on the First Four couldn't last forever. It is fun to think that Sioux City may have been putting pressure on them. Although I don't recall hearing about it, I could see Des Moines making a push also, now that they have established themselves as a legit NCAA First and Second round location.
    You wouldn't have heard anything about Sioux City pressuring Dayton, because Sioux Falls and Sioux City aren't actually the same city...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...tney/98011088/

"Sioux Falls has hosted six NCAA championship events since 2015 at the Premier Center and Sanford Pentagon, new facilities backed by aggressive corporate support that turned a minor-league city into a major player. The Pentagon will be the site of the Division II men’s basketball Elite Eight in March, as it was for the women last year."

"With experience on its side, the Sioux Falls Sports Authority has put in 21 bids for championship events from 2019-22 in basketball, wrestling, track and field and volleyball."

"Sioux Falls made a serious push in 2014, bidding to host future early-round action or “First Four” games at the 12,000-seat Premier Center, which opened that same year. The early-round bids went elsewhere and Dayton, Ohio, was chosen to remain as the site of the First Four."

Here's a list of what Sioux Falls has bid on:

http://sfsportsauthority.org/news/ncaa-bids

And what they won in recent announcements from the NCAA:

http://sfsportsauthority.org/news/si...-championships

Thread drift alert -http://www.springfieldnewssun.com/sports/watch-look-the-future-arena/49xIN4meUx3sksqcskrOKO/
    At 2:00 of the video idea for fargodome corners!

Quote Originally Posted by wow View Post
    You wouldn't have heard anything about Sioux City pressuring Dayton, because Sioux Falls and Sioux City aren't actually the same city...

Thanks for being gentle in your correction. I probably deserved some vicious Iowa bashing.