Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Does this surprise anyone? UND investigated for Title IX Compliance violations

Mayville Bison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Does this surprise anyone? UND investigated for Title IX Compliance violations

Quote Originally Posted by abc123 View Post
    If you can't see how dropping ~$1.2 million in scholarship funds with zero balancing adjustments in an athletic department that is currently balanced, then you are clearly choosing to be ignorant. But you also still seem to be convinced that an unrepresented class is unequivocally the same as the minority, so it is probably just a lost cause.

Do you have any proof those schools that dropped football didn't make any adjustments? Looking at the ones who have permanently dropped football at the D-1 level in the last decade (Hofstra, Northeastern, Iona and La Salle), all of them show their current athletic aid ratios within a few percentage points of their student body ratio. Whether they were out of balance previously or made some adjustments to get to where they are, I don't know. but those numbers are significantly different than where UND would be if they dropped football and made zero other adjustments.
    -Note that Omaha added men's golf and soccer after it dropped wrestling and football, but they also needed to get back to the NCAA minimum of 6 men's sports.
    If you can't see how Title IX treats women vs men, then you are clearly choosing to be ignorant. Your simple google search you suggested earlier shows mainly sexual assault related lawsuits. I'm sure you'll try to prove that wrong by providing a case or two in your "simple search", but the point still remains - Chris is spot on with how a male lawsuit would be treated.

Default Re: Does this surprise anyone? UND investigated for Title IX Compliance violations

Quote Originally Posted by Mayville Bison View Post
    If you can't see how Title IX treats women vs men, then you are clearly choosing to be ignorant. Your simple google search you suggested earlier shows mainly sexual assault related lawsuits. I'm sure you'll try to prove that wrong by providing a case or two in your "simple search", but the point still remains - Chris is spot on with how a male lawsuit would be treated.
    Yeah, I tried teaching him a lesson about Title IX. My wall learns better.
    Hail the BISON!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzled View Post
    I have no issue with Matt Larsen, I'm just not a fan of what has been done since he has been here. I've made many of my frustrations known on this board so I haven't refused to state anything.

In my opinion, cutting more money than what was necessary at UND to invest in other sports is something NDSU would have done back in the days of Taylor and Chapman. If they have covered their asses with the law firm that helped them it is a good move.

Keeping a coach on staff of a volleyball team that sucks and making it known to everyone the coach isn't coming back is something I would expect from UND. That would never fly in a mens program at this school and lets me know where priority is whether its right or wrong. Doing that sets that program back so much further than just one more year.
    I don't know much about this situation, but since NDSU receives money from the government, the ability to fire women is much more difficult than it is to fire men. I've seen this happen personally, and learned that in order to fire a female employee for crappy performance, there has to absolute proof they can't get the job done and were provided every opportunity to succeed. Otherwise, you're guaranteed to spend a lot of money in court in a sex discrimination lawsuit.

Again, I'm not privy to what the situation is with volleyball, but from an outsider's point-of-view, my guess the Athletic Department was making sure they didn't dig themselves a hole by outright firing a coach who can't perform.
    Hail the BISON!!!

-Note that Omaha added men's golf and soccer after it dropped wrestling and football, but they also needed to get back to the NCAA minimum of 6 men's sports.
    This had nothing to due with Title IX. Omaha has to have six men's sports to be Division I eligible. Trev Alberts dropped football because it was a money pit for the Athletic Department and with the addition of hockey, the school couldn't afford two high-cost sports (take note UND). He also wanted to focus on its men's basketball team to bring in money by being an early season cupcake for major basketball programs. So far, it seems to be working.

In regards to the wrestling program, which was pretty much fully self-funded at the time, that was Trev's way of winning a pissing contest with the wrestling coach, Mike Denny. Trev and Mike were not the best of friends (Mike told him that he had outlasted many athletic directors and would be at UNO long after Trev), and the situation got worse when Trev wanted to move from Division II to Division I. Mike was adamantly against the move (I know this due to a personal conversation I had with Mike) and was enjoying the dynasty Omaha wrestling was having at Division II since NDSU and SDSU were now gone.

Trev, in classic form, waited until Omaha won another wrestling DII championship and called Mike during their team celebration that night to let him know that wrestling was gone. Not only did Trev win that pissing contest, but he pretty much buried Mike and pissed on his grave. Don't mess with Trev.
    Hail the BISON!!!

abc123 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Moen View Post
    This had nothing to due with Title IX. Omaha has to have six men's sports to be Division I eligible.
    Yes I know, you literally quoted me saying they needed to get back to 6 sports to be at the NCAA minimum. I only mentioned Omaha and what they did because I assumed it would be the example most people would be familiar with and someone might ask why I didn't include them with the other 4. But I suppose it gave you a chance to mention do some sort of name dropping.

Yes I know, you literally quoted me saying they needed to get back to 6 sports to be at the NCAA minimum. I only mentioned Omaha and what they did because I assumed it would be the example most people would be familiar with and someone might ask why I didn't include them with the other 4. But I suppose it gave you a chance to mention do some sort of name dropping.
    No, you were trying to make it a Title IX compliance issue that favored men. That doesn't happen. If it did, it would be pretty big news as it would go against the grain of the progressive society. And no, it wasn't an opportunity to name drop since what "names" were there to be dropped? I was giving you and the reading audience the full story of what happened at UNO, especially in regards to wrestling (their equivalent to UND's hockey).
    Hail the BISON!!!

Ray Charles saw this coming and he's dead and blind.

Quote Originally Posted by EC8CH View Post
    Ray Charles saw this coming and he's dead and blind.
    So does it matter if he was blind since he is dead? Most people are blind when they are dead. Do you work for the Forum?
    "Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because it is wrong" E. O. Wilson

"I'm not crazy my mother had me tested". Sheldon Cooper

My boss hates it when I shorten his name to Dick, mainly because his name is Steven.

Grizzled is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Moen View Post
    I don't know much about this situation, but since NDSU receives money from the government, the ability to fire women is much more difficult than it is to fire men. I've seen this happen personally, and learned that in order to fire a female employee for crappy performance, there has to absolute proof they can't get the job done and were provided every opportunity to succeed. Otherwise, you're guaranteed to spend a lot of money in court in a sex discrimination lawsuit.

Again, I'm not privy to what the situation is with volleyball, but from an outsider's point-of-view, my guess the Athletic Department was making sure they didn't dig themselves a hole by outright firing a coach who can't perform.
    So it's more difficult to buy out the remaining year on a contract for a woman? Lol. Oh my.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzled View Post
    So it's more difficult to buy out the remaining year on a contract for a woman? Lol. Oh my.
    Do you know how many times NDSU has bought out a coach's contract? Man or woman?