Page 44 of 55 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654 ... LastLast

Thread: Nickel Trophy Update

Default Re: Nickel Trophy Update

Quote Originally Posted by WeAreThePride View Post
    I’m not asking about the difference between a Natty and UND. I’m just curious why you think trophies are worth keeping at all?
    Some trophies are worth having because they represent important accomplishments.
    The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    Paul Fix

bisonp is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I think they deserve their own "chipper".

WeAreThePride is offline Senior DC Correspondent Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Vet70 View Post
    Some trophies are worth having because they represent important accomplishments.
    And winning a game in a historic rivalry isn't an important accomplishment? Why bother playing any of the games at all? Why should we deign to travel to Indiana State? Shouldn't we be above such things?

And winning a game in a historic rivalry isn't an important accomplishment? Why bother playing any of the games at all? Why should we deign to travel to Indiana State? Shouldn't we be above such things?
    Go on. This is amazing.
    My Mom yells louder than your Mom.

I'll just finish by saying we have differences as to what we think is important. The rest I will just ignore as hyperbole.
    The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    Paul Fix

Quote Originally Posted by Bison bison View Post
    That's why I like the Mega Dakota Marker.
    A semi-regular Bison-Goofs game would be very cool indeed.

WeAreThePride is offline Senior DC Correspondent Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by runtheoption View Post
    Go on. This is amazing.
    History and tradition mean a lot to me. I'm not sure what's so amazing here. We've had a fairly fierce rivalry with UND for over a hundred years. What's the deal with needing to shit on them? All this talk about how we should never play then away from Fargo? It doesn't make any sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Vet70 View Post
    I'll just finish by saying we have differences as to what we think is important. The rest I will just ignore as hyperbole.
    Alabama gets up for its in state rivalry, even though they're always competing for natties.

oldmantutters is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

History and tradition mean a lot to me. I'm not sure what's so amazing here. We've had a fairly fierce rivalry with UND for over a hundred years. What's the deal with needing to shit on them? All this talk about how we should never play then away from Fargo? It doesn't make any sense.
    The never playing them in GF talk aside, what would a trophy add? Yes it's a historic rivalry, but the Nickel is done. A new trophy has no history to it. In my mind both schools contributing to the end of the Nickel. NDSU decided they were going to move up and that came with the possibility of not playing UND every year. UND decided it would put them at a disadvantage for their post-season hopes and/or recruiting* to play NDSU every year**. The Dakota marker doesn't do much for me, and I think the number of trophy games Minnesota is involved in is ridiculous.

*I'd think the thought of not playing NDSU would have been partly to do with NDSU recruiting a higher caliber of athlete and having more scholarships putting the Bison at an advantage and most likely winning head to head games ultimately resulting in NDSU winning any recruiting battle. Funny thing is UND changing their mind and them losing out on pretty much every recruiting battle since.

** Without knowing the details of how it worked out had the rivalry continued, is it fair to assume that D2 UND would have hosted a D1AA/FCS team every other year? If that's true that's kind of crazy.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

CalBison97 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Alabama gets up for its in state rivalry, even though they're always competing for natties.
    Yes, but Alabama’s in-state rival also competes for natties.
    Stand your ground, have a tough hide, roam wild and free, have a strong spirit, let the chips fall where they may.