Page 23 of 55 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: Nickel Trophy Update

Bison Loaf is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot
    "The football hotbed of the high plains."

Default Re: Nickel Trophy Update

Anyway...................back to the Nickel.

If I may so bold as to attempt to be mature and serious for a moment , The Nickel was indeed a "cool" (although in the greater scheme of things, NEVER the most important trophy) to play for back in the day, because, of course, it was a clever double-sided representation of the two schools that were competing for it. Buffalo on one side for The NDSU Bison, and an Indian Head on the other for The UND Fighting Sioux. I think we can ALL agree on that.

That being said, however, The NDSU Bison will indeed NOT be playing a UND "Fighting Sioux" team anymore, now or ever in the future. The simple fact is, a team called "The Fighting Sioux" NO LONGER EXISTS. I think we can ALL agree on that, also.

So............... my question is: what would be the current relevance of this actual and specific trophy anymore, given the simple facts of the situation as they stand?

Quote Originally Posted by Bison Loaf View Post
    Anyway...................back to the Nickel.

If I may so bold as to attempt to be mature and serious for a moment , The Nickel was indeed a "cool" (although in the greater scheme of things, NEVER the most important trophy) to play for back in the day, because, of course, it was a clever double-sided representation of the two schools that were competing for it. Buffalo on one side for The NDSU Bison, and an Indian Head on the other for The UND Fighting Sioux. I think we can ALL agree on that.

That being said, however, The NDSU Bison will indeed NOT be playing a UND "Fighting Sioux" team anymore, now or ever in the future. The simple fact is, a team called "The Fighting Sioux" NO LONGER EXISTS. I think we can ALL agree on that, also.

So............... my question is: what would be the current relevance of this actual and specific trophy anymore, given the simple facts of the situation as they stand?
    As far as the Nickel Trophy goes, it went the way of the "Fighting Sioux." It no longer represents both schools and therefore should be retired. Where it gets retired to, I don't care. It was a great traveling trophy during the DII era. Time to either move on from a traveling trophy or come up with a new one.

I suggest moving on from a traveling trophy since UND failed to move up at the same time and eventually got replace by SDSU (and somewhat UNI) as NDSU's main rivalry in football.
    Hail the BISON!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Moen View Post
    Isn't UND already getting preferential treatment from the State? I thought this was part of the reason why UND's Athletic Department took such a hit was because of their dependency on the State's money whereas NDSU is more dependent on its supporters' money.

I also don't think UND will get more preferential treatment from the State if they're in the same conference. I believe that already took place once they joined the same division. If anything, if the State was "smart," they could cut UND's funding as they now will have less travel costs.
    Damn, you crack me up sometimes, my man!

Anyway, I'm making great strides in therapy, but I'm definitely not mature enough yet to concentrate on one single thing this long (twss!) so.......... it's always enjoyable to have a good, respectful discussion with you, CM (even if you are an immature jackass )!

No, UND is not a must-have partner for NDSU to keep moving forward. SDSU, on the other hand, is probably our key partner.

My main point was that UND is a non-factor in regards to how NDSU progresses forward in football and it is ridiculous to whine about them playing us. It makes those who do sound like a bunch of five year old boys worrying about being around girls because they have kooties. I could care less about having to play them, but when we do, I'm going to enjoy watching the Bison give the F'Hawkers a beatdown as if it were a public execution.

In regards to becoming stagnant, one has to keep in mind of the political power differences between the MVFC and the old NCC. We became stagnant in the old NCC because we allowed the others schools, especially UND, to cut our balls off. UND had a big voice in the NCC. In the MVFC, where UND has a tiny voice, there are too many other schools that want to be competitive for the National Championship to allow for stupid ideas (lower scholarship limit) to exist. If anything like that were to happen, expect NDSU and SDSU to exit quickly.

The only options UND has in regards to joining the MVFC is to become a conference doormat or continue to grow their program. A lot will depend on how much they continue to over-invest in hockey (their ROI in the sport is mind-boggling stupid). Neither options will cause NDSU to become stagnant (in fact the latter option will prevent it). NDSU controls their own destination, and those in charge are well aware of it.
    Agree with pretty much everything except this, there are a lot of MVFC schools who would love to put some limits on things. I wouldn't be shocked to see some proposals to eliminate FCOA going forward. You know that stings most of the non-DAK schools. Hell ISUb would probably like to eliminate schollies!

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonator98 View Post
    Agree with pretty much everything except this, there are a lot of MVFC schools who would love to put some limits on things. I wouldn't be shocked to see some proposals to eliminate FCOA going forward. You know that stings most of the non-DAK schools. Hell ISUb would probably like to eliminate schollies!
    Exactly and your point is why UND’s tiny little voice can become much larger than it might be now. Eventually, they will try to minimize their cost to compete in FB so they can spend more $$$ on the hockies. Oh yeah, and do not forget in addition to collaborating with the MVFC have nots, they will use the GOB in the legislature to squeeze NDSU to comply. its not that UND has cooties, it’s more like they are a cancer and they are back. If we are not careful, we will find ourselves in the same predicament as we were 15 years ago...it might not be on the number of schollies, but it might be FCOA, an agreement on facilities spending, coaching salaries or stupid regionalization scheme.

What gets me is some keep saying that Anti (playing) UND are not being rational, but history suggest those throwing caution to the wind are the irrational ones. No post, no matter how well written or how many are written can change that.

Quote Originally Posted by MAKBison View Post
    Exactly and your point is why UND’s tiny little voice can become much larger than it might be now. Eventually, they will try to minimize their cost to compete in FB so they can spend more $$$ on the hockies. Oh yeah, and do not forget in addition to collaborating with the MVFC have nots, they will use the GOB in the legislature to squeeze NDSU to comply. its not that UND has cooties, it’s more like they are a cancer and they are back. If we are not careful, we will find ourselves in the same predicament as we were 15 years ago...it might not be on the number of schollies, but it might be FCOA, an agreement on facilities spending, coaching salaries or stupid regionalization scheme.

What gets me is some keep saying that Anti (playing) UND are not being rational, but history suggest those throwing caution to the wind are the irrational ones. No post, no matter how well written or how many are written can change that.
    None of this is going to happen. Items like the FCOA are not even funded by the State's money.

If you cannot see how much has changed at NDSU since the move to DI, then you're not paying attention.

UND isn't coming into the MVFC as a big dog. The were able to do that in the NCC because they were a founding member. Keep in mind, NDSU with all its Championships isn't controlling the conference. UND won't even have the voice of USD.

As I stated before, if any shenanigans start up in the MVFC that NDSU doesn't like, they can leave. SDSU would probably follow. The MVFC can't lose either teams if it wants to be the premiere FCS conference.

Right now, you're looking for excuses.

Fear is not the way of the Bison.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hail the BISON!!!

None of this is going to happen. Items like the FCOA are not even funded by the State's money.

If you cannot see how much has changed at NDSU since the move to DI, then you're not paying attention.

UND isn't coming into the MVFC as a big dog. The were able to do that in the NCC because they were a founding member. Keep in mind, NDSU with all its Championships isn't controlling the conference. UND won't even have the voice of USD.

As I stated before, if any shenanigans start up in the MVFC that NDSU doesn't like, they can leave. SDSU would probably follow. The MVFC can't lose either teams if it wants to be the premiere FCS conference.

1. Curious as to where you think the Bison would stomp off to, if they were pissed.

2. Excuses for what?

3. Do you really think an opposing view constitutes "fear" in this conversation? That sounds like Fhawker talk....... "you're afraid to play us". Really?

Half the MVFC doesn't care about being the premiere FCS conference. Some wanted Murray State in the MVFC. Hell they'd drop FB tomorrow if it got them into a better BB conference! It's not about being fearful or making excuses it's about realizing who your friends and foes are and how they prioritize things.

1. Curious as to where you think the Bison would stomp off to, if they were pissed.

2. Excuses for what?

3. Do you really think an opposing view constitutes "fear" in this conversation? That sounds like Fhawker talk....... "you're afraid to play us". Really?
    The only time I have ever heard "the Bison are afraid to play UND" talk, was coming from a Fhwaks fan. The Fhawkers have a history of using politicians and the media to undermine and attack NDSU, I do not expect that to change.
    Hey Barkeep, another round of the green stuff for me and my buddies!

2. Excuses for what?

Yes. Actual fear. The post CM quoted literally said that if we add UN_ they will get rid of "FCOA, an agreement on facilities spending, coaching salaries or stupid regionalization scheme" Etc. he also said that UN_ would "squeeze NDSU to comply" with suicidal policies.

Must be hard being afraid of every shadow you see.
    1. The FCS was the Best option for NDSU for a very long time.
    2. As a general rule- the FCS sucks at football and has proven that is not committed to football at all.
    3. It's time to go FBS