Page 25 of 55 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Thread: Nickel Trophy Update

Default Re: Nickel Trophy Update

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Moen View Post
    If NDSU and SDSU threatened to leave the MVFC, Patty Viverito and company would freak out as it would mean the end of the MVFC being the premiere FCS conference. There are other FCS conferences that both teams can join as a football only affiliate. Although NDSU and SDSU don't have the biggest voices in the MVFC, they still have some weight, especially as a duo. This alone would prevent UND from pulling any shenanigans. If we were actually afraid of these hypothetical shenanigans, we should have been afraid of them earlier coming from schools like UNI and Illinois State, which have big voices in the MVFC and have bigger financial issues than we do.

In regards to the State imposing sanctions against NDSU to prevent them from being competitive, they would have been done this a long time ago when UND decided to move up to DI. But they didn't. Probably because they can't touch funds generated from NDSU's fanbase and it would be career suicide for them to piss off their constituents.

Again these excuses made up by those who don't want play UND are futile. Whether we as fans want to play them or not, is beyond our and NDSU's control. If a punk-arse, turtleneck-wearing kid jumps into your sandbox, do you cry and leave or do you kick sand in their face and piss-pound them so they don't want to be in your sandbox? I look forward to NDSU kicking a whole lot sand in their faces.

As far "fear" goes, why else would there be such an uproar? The unnecessary complaining we throw out there just gives their program more credence that they could be a threat and that just feeds into their fans' faux-confidence (something about a worm turning). They aren't a threat and until they start getting better recruits, coaches and tradition, they'll won't be more of a threat to our National Championship goals than the lower half MVFC teams are to NDSU.
    Lest assume all that is true why would we want the headache. Not that it is a choice anymore. As I stated, I have a hard time coming up with times UND has helped us, but it is not hard finding examples where they dump on us. Kicking their asses in FB just does seem worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by MAKBison View Post
    Lest assume all that is true why would we want the headache. Not that it is a choice anymore. As I stated, I have a hard time coming up with times UND has helped us, but it is not hard finding examples where they dump on us. Kicking their asses in FB just does seem worth it.
    “A lion doesn't concern itself with the opinion of sheep.” That's how NDSU and it's fans should treat UND and their fans in regards to football.

They amount of worrying you do is not good for your health.
    Hail the BISON!!!

Bison Loaf is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot
    "The football hotbed of the high plains."

If NDSU and SDSU threatened to leave the MVFC, Patty Viverito and company would freak out as it would mean the end of the MVFC being the premiere FCS conference. There are other FCS conferences that both teams can join as a football only affiliate. Although NDSU and SDSU don't have the biggest voices in the MVFC, they still have some weight, especially as a duo. This alone would prevent UND from pulling any shenanigans. If we were actually afraid of these hypothetical shenanigans, we should have been afraid of them earlier coming from schools like UNI and Illinois State, which have big voices in the MVFC and have bigger financial issues than we do.

In regards to the State imposing sanctions against NDSU to prevent them from being competitive, they would have been done this a long time ago when UND decided to move up to DI. But they didn't. Probably because they can't touch funds generated from NDSU's fanbase and it would be career suicide for them to piss off their constituents.

Again these excuses made up by those who don't want play UND are futile. Whether we as fans want to play them or not, is beyond our and NDSU's control. If a punk-arse, turtleneck-wearing kid jumps into your sandbox, do you cry and leave or do you kick sand in their face and piss-pound them so they don't want to be in your sandbox? I look forward to NDSU kicking a whole lot sand in their faces.

As far "fear" goes, why else would there be such an uproar? The unnecessary complaining we throw out there just gives their program more credence that they could be a threat and that just feeds into their fans' faux-confidence (something about a worm turning). They aren't a threat and until they start getting better recruits, coaches and tradition, they'll won't be more of a threat to our National Championship goals than the lower half MVFC teams are to NDSU.
    Ok. We can agree to disagree on some things. Nothing wrong with that.

I just never like the insinuation, in ANY discussion, that certain Bison Fans are or were "afraid" to play UND. I don't think it's even remotely accurate, nor do I think it's fair to those that have their own reasons for not wanting to play them (which is a moot point now). Case in point, does anyone really believe that Gene Taylor was truly "afraid" to play UND for all those years after the split?

Quote Originally Posted by Bison Loaf View Post
    Ok. We can agree to disagree on some things. Nothing wrong with that.

I just never like the insinuation, in ANY discussion, that certain Bison Fans are or were "afraid" to play UND. I don't think it's even remotely accurate, nor do I think it's fair to those that have their own reasons for not wanting to play them (which is a moot point now). Case in point, does anyone really believe that Gene Taylor was truly "afraid" to play UND for all those years after the split?
    Gene had good reasoning.

Of the two ADs at the time, their decisions in regards to the DI move took their careers in polar directions. The wise one is now the AD at Kansas State, while the other not-as-wise one is retiring from Mary.

In regards to not playing UND after Thomas left, the impression I got from Gene when I asked him about over a ten years ago is that he wanted to make sure that NDSU wasn't going to give up a home game every other year by resurrecting the rivalry.
    Hail the BISON!!!

Bison Loaf is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot
    "The football hotbed of the high plains."

Gene had good reasoning.

[IMG]http://media.graytvinc.com/images/283*245/Roger+Thomas+(1).JPG[/IMG]

Of the two ADs at the time, their decisions in regards to the DI move took their careers in polar directions. The wise one is now the AD at Kansas State, while the other not-as-wise one is retiring from Mary.

In regards to not playing UND after Thomas left, the impression I got from Gene when I asked him about over a ten years ago is that he wanted to make sure that NDSU wasn't going to give up a home game every other year by resurrecting the rivalry.
    Exactly. Gene had his reasons for not playing UND, but none of them were because he was "afraid" to play them.

Some Bison fans also have their reasons for not wanting to play UND, but, somehow, those reasons equate to being "afraid" of playing them?

I'm never gonna buy-off on that one!

He's being no more "paranoid" than you are over on the Dome Upgrades thread.

But I guess if YOU make a point, about anything, it's automatically right.............. and no other opinions are valid.
    Okay that makes zero sense. What on earth have I said that was paranoid about the dome? Dear lord. If you cant attack the argument, just make something up, I guess. I at least quoted actual words that come out of MAK's mouth (keyboard). This is quickly getting out of hand.
    1. The FCS was the Best option for NDSU for a very long time.
    2. As a general rule- the FCS sucks at football and has proven that is not committed to football at all.
    3. It's time to go FBS

Exactly. Gene had his reasons for not playing UND, but none of them were because he was "afraid" to play them.

Some Bison fans also have their reasons for not wanting to play UND, but, somehow, those reasons equate to being "afraid" of playing them?

I'm never gonna buy-off on that one!
    I have never heard of anyone say they were afraid to play them. You'll have to show me an example of someone saying we were afraid of their football prowess haha.
    The "fear" I was referencing is MAK's fear that we would potentially lose COA stipends, coaching salaries, etc. if they were in the conference.
    1. The FCS was the Best option for NDSU for a very long time.
    2. As a general rule- the FCS sucks at football and has proven that is not committed to football at all.
    3. It's time to go FBS

Quote Originally Posted by MankatoBison View Post
    I have never heard of anyone say they were afraid to play them. You'll have to show me an example of someone saying we were afraid of their football prowess haha.
    The "fear" I was referencing is MAK's fear that we would potentially lose COA stipends, coaching salaries, etc. if they were in the conference.
    For f sakes Rachel.

“A lion doesn't concern itself with the opinion of sheep.” That's how NDSU and it's fans should treat UND and their fans in regards to football.

They amount of worrying you do is not good for your health.
    Oh, come on you're better than that. I generally agree with your post and or at least respect them .....At least provide some sort of rational suggesting how we are in a much stronger position, the modern circumstances won't allow it blah blah. I could at least be swayed by that. But to go all stud on me...please!

BTW, I appreciate the concern for my health, but I gotta tell ya...... By the time (if it ever) gets to that I will have shifted my donating to other aspects of NDSU. That's a fact Jack.. lots of groups at NDSU who can use a few more nickles. Right now this is the one I enjoy most...that can change.

Quote Originally Posted by MAKBison View Post
    Oh, come on you're better than that. I generally agree with your post and or at least respect them .....At least provide some sort of rational suggesting how we are in a much stronger position, the modern circumstances won't allow it blah blah.
    I'm pretty sure I made these points in my previous posts the past few days.
    Hail the BISON!!!