Page 30 of 55 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Thread: Nickel Trophy Update

Default Re: Nickel Trophy Update

Quote Originally Posted by Vet70 View Post
    Four things. One, saying we don't care about the trophy doesn't necessarily demonstrate "butthurt". The way you have worded your statement if people were drooling to get it back you could also say that is"butthurt". Second, we didn't lose the last matchup, we beat the snot out of them. If you are talking about 2003 and the last contest involving the trophy you are correct. It would have been nice to have beaten them at that game, but after 6 National Championships in 7 years why should we care? It's like not having the marker. It would be nice, but I am sure the players would rather have their rings. Third, if we had the nickel it would have been given to the State Historical Society as required by law instead of hiding it like children. Fourth it is ancient history and irrelevant that they have it.
    First, let me just say that I have nothing but love for all NDSU fans and I wasn't intending on getting into a pissing match here. Particularly you, Vet. Your "Countdown to Cal Poly" has been great.

However, I will say that what I am seeing from a lot of my fellow Bison faithful are false dilemmas and special pleading. Particularly from you in this exact post. Vet, you're saying that the Bison players can either want to have a rivalry trophy like the nickel or want to have National Championship rings, but they can't want both? Why not? Of course they would RATHER have rings over the coin, but no one here is saying you have to pick one. That's silly.

Also, why is it not like having the marker? It is actually, quite literally, like having the marker. It is a rivalry trophy. The players want it. Just like the players from the 80s and 90s wanted the nickel. The first 8 championships were just as special as the last 6, just like the nickel was as fun to have as the marker. When Bison fans diminish it and call it stupid, then yeah, to me, sounds a little like a sore loser. And in the end, the refrain should be no different. They get to have the coin, we get some rings. Let them gloat. We have more to gloat about.

Finally, yeah, you're right, I really should have clarified that I was talking about the 2003 game when they lost the nickel and not the recent 2015 game in a thread about the nickel. I'm sure everyone here was confused. Silly mistake. Won't happen again.
    The Bisonville MASTERS Pool
    Winners - 2020: Vet70 | 2021: ND Gooch | 2023: Strategery

Quote Originally Posted by TransAmBison View Post
    We already stole the spotlight nationally and in the state. They lost their dignity all on their own. This is all they have left. It would be like taking money out of the hat of the person on the street corner begging for change.
    Some photos ops of the Nickle prominently displayed at the Hilarious Center along side some "Keep the Change" national championship trophy signage would be OK though in my book.

natstar1 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I know what Bisonville wants, but do you think they'll have a new traveling trophy for the NDSU/UND game?

Quote Originally Posted by heffray View Post
    First, let me just say that I have nothing but love for all NDSU fans and I wasn't intending on getting into a pissing match here. Particularly you, Vet. Your "Countdown to Cal Poly" has been great.

However, I will say that what I am seeing from a lot of my fellow Bison faithful are false dilemmas and special pleading. Particularly from you in this exact post. Vet, you're saying that the Bison players can either want to have a rivalry trophy like the nickel or want to have National Championship rings, but they can't want both? Why not? Of course they would RATHER have rings over the coin, but no one here is saying you have to pick one. That's silly.

Also, why is it not like having the marker? It is actually, quite literally, like having the marker. It is a rivalry trophy. The players want it. Just like the players from the 80s and 90s wanted the nickel. The first 8 championships were just as special as the last 6, just like the nickel was as fun to have as the marker. When Bison fans diminish it and call it stupid, then yeah, to me, sounds a little like a sore loser. And in the end, the refrain should be no different. They get to have the coin, we get some rings. Let them gloat. We have more to gloat about.

Finally, yeah, you're right, I really should have clarified that I was talking about the 2003 game when they lost the nickel and not the recent 2015 game in a thread about the nickel. I'm sure everyone here was confused. Silly mistake. Won't happen again.
    Let me start by saying sometimes I get carried away and it was not my intention to start a ruckus like it might sound. I'll also confess I knew exactly what game you were getting at, I was only trying to point out that there is a larger picture.

Having said that you totally misconstrue some things I said. I never said that players ..." can either want to have a rivalry trophy like the nickel or want to have National Championship rings, but they can't want both." You don't have to pick one, but sometimes there is no choice. The fact of the matter is that the nickel will never come back to NDSU in the foreseeable future. UN_ would love for people at NDSU to keep stewing and focusing on the past. It has been almost 15 years and most of us have moved on and left them in our dust.
    I also said, "It's like not having the marker". I did not say it is not like having the marker.
    The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    Paul Fix

oldmantutters is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Trophies from rivalry games are relevant one week of the year. So the fact that they trot it out like they have been this summer is pathetic. The fact is after the rivalry "ended" it was determined that the nickel was to go to the heritage center. The other fact is they have been hiding it like one of my dogs (dog A) hides chew toys from my other dog (dog B). Funny thing is dog B could give a shit about the chew toys once they've been hidden, but dog A will do everything she can to keep dog B away.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Either

A: have the stones to put it in the line when you play, whenever you play. Trophies should be on the line in the playoffs also.

B: quit acting like it is relevant

C: save money shut down program.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by aces1180 View Post
    What the actual fuck!

NICKEL TROPHY
    The historic Nickel Trophy will be displayed out at tailgating and in game on the concourse of the Alerus Center during the first three home football games. Fans will have the opportunity to view and take pictures with the notable heirloom from North Dakota's history.

https://fightinghawks.com/news/2018/...ll-season.aspx

Of course they will, it's all they have.

Quote Originally Posted by MankatoBison View Post
    For real though... could you imagine if we never went on to play SDSU again, but we had the marker, and then SDSU went on to win another 8-9 national championships and we toted around the marker like it was the friggin Holy Grail?! hahah its just so dumb that they worship the thing like the golden calf.

It is either an inherently offensive trophy that should never be seen delicate human eyes
    OR
    It's awesome, worth bragging about and hence worth playing for.

you cant have both
    Putting the Marker on the same level as the Nickel is silly. UND clinging to it is hilarious and sad now, no doubt.

Agree on the last part, they could 100% play for it now and nobody would bat an eye. They'll end up inventing some super lame PC trophy at some point I imagine. Hope they don't though.
    College of Business Alumnus

True story. I played 87-90 and we were 4-0 vs UN_. I have never put my hands on the Nickel Trophy! In fact, I was not ever aware of its presence at the game home or away. I did see it in our trophy case over the years and I did understand the importance of winning that game. But, that wasn’t the trophy my teammates and I had our sights on! It was always the final game of the regular season and 3 of 4 years we were looking forward to the next weeks playoff game and all 4 years they were looking forward to a long off season.

Quote Originally Posted by bisonforever View Post
    True story. I played 87-90 and we were 4-0 vs UN_. I have never put my hands on the Nickel Trophy! In fact, I was not ever aware of its presence at the game home or away. I did see it in our trophy case over the years and I did understand the importance of winning that game. But, that wasn’t the trophy my teammates and I had our sights on! It was always the final game of the regular season and 3 of 4 years we were looking forward to the next weeks playoff game and all 4 years they were looking forward to a long off season.
    This is good perspective. Do you feel it was shared by most of your teammates? I seem to remember seeing some shots/video of Bison players celebrating with the coin. I could be wrong there.
    The Bisonville MASTERS Pool
    Winners - 2020: Vet70 | 2021: ND Gooch | 2023: Strategery