Page 21 of 55 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: Nickel Trophy Update

Default Re: Nickel Trophy Update

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Moen View Post
    Playing UND as a conference foe has nothing to do with stagnation. NDSU is at the FCS level because of their size and finances. There is no place to go to without bankrupting the school. If you think NDSU is going to become a P5 anytime soon, or even within our lifetime, you're a naïve fool. There's a lot of bigger schools with more money that are way ahead on that waiting list. That's just a pipe dream. We're just a small DI school with limited funds. Thankfully the FCS exists, or we'd still be DII and would never had gotten the opportunity to play P5 teams to begin with. It sucks, but it's the reality we exist in.

Just because a school within our geographic footprint that is nearly identical in size and finances joins our conference doesn't mean the program is going backwards. Before NDSU joined the MVFC (with the help of SDSU), the conference was spinning its wheels and going nowhere (UNI was King and was content with conference titles). Since our arrival, the MVFC has become the premiere FCS conference, and better than many G5 conferences. The main reason for this is because of the Bison. Our school has caused pretty much everyone in the conference to raise their game, including Indiana State. UND doesn't take any of that away. Those F'Hawkers have been raising their game too, and by the time they get into the MVFC, they won't be worse than the terrible teams in the conference, and therefore, not making the conference weaker.

Having all Dakota schools competing against one another is good for NDSU. It prevents us from becoming complacent. Seeing our core rivalries rise will keep us moving forward in order to prevent them from surpassing us. Need proof? Just go back a few weeks ago to Larsen talking about building an indoor practice facility. Would we be doing that if SDSU and UND didn't have one? I doubt it. Same thing can be said with the renovation of the BSA into the SHAC.

Competition is a good thing, especially when it involves those you dislike the most. Throwing a fit about playing them just means you're afraid of them. Personally, I could care less whether UND is in our conference and we have to play them, but I will enjoy watching the Bison beat them down if the opportunity rises. I enjoy listening to their knucklehead fans boost about how they can win before the game, then are left miserably speechless afterwords.
    You sir are banned. This is no place for wordy rational posts. Please shorten, use ideas that only upset people and repost.

Quote Originally Posted by bisonhp330 View Post
    You sir are banned. This is no place for wordy rational posts. Please shorten, use ideas that only upset people and repost.
    Hail the BISON!!!

Green1 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by bisonhp330 View Post

More name calling. Also, please involve some sort of political slant or slur in your posts. Thank you for your attention to this matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Green1 View Post
    More name calling. Also, please involve some sort of political slant or slur in your posts. Thank you for your attention to this matter.
    You want me to channel my-inner Donald Trump? I'm going to have to ram my head through a few walls first.
    Hail the BISON!!!

Playing UND as a conference foe has nothing to do with stagnation. NDSU is at the FCS level because of their size and finances. There is no place to go to without bankrupting the school. If you think NDSU is going to become a P5 anytime soon, or even within our lifetime, you're a naïve fool. There's a lot of bigger schools with more money that are way ahead on that waiting list. That's just a pipe dream. We're just a small DI school with limited funds. Thankfully the FCS exists, or we'd still be DII and would never had gotten the opportunity to play P5 teams to begin with. It sucks, but it's the reality we exist in.

Just because a school within our geographic footprint that is nearly identical in size and finances joins our conference doesn't mean the program is going backwards. Before NDSU joined the MVFC (with the help of SDSU), the conference was spinning its wheels and going nowhere (UNI was King and was content with conference titles). Since our arrival, the MVFC has become the premiere FCS conference, and better than many G5 conferences. The main reason for this is because of the Bison. Our school has caused pretty much everyone in the conference to raise their game, including Indiana State. UND doesn't take any of that away. Those F'Hawkers have been raising their game too, and by the time they get into the MVFC, they won't be worse than the terrible teams in the conference, and therefore, not making the conference weaker.

Having all Dakota schools competing against one another is good for NDSU. It prevents us from becoming complacent. Seeing our core rivalries rise will keep us moving forward in order to prevent them from surpassing us. Need proof? Just go back a few weeks ago to Larsen talking about building an indoor practice facility. Would we be doing that if SDSU and UND didn't have one? I doubt it. Same thing can be said with the renovation of the BSA into the SHAC.

Competition is a good thing, especially when it involves those you dislike the most. Throwing a fit about playing them just means you're afraid of them. Personally, I could care less whether UND is in our conference and we have to play them, but I will enjoy watching the Bison beat them down if the opportunity rises. I enjoy listening to their knucklehead fans boost about how they can win before the game, then are left miserably speechless afterwords
    Correct. Couldn't agree more. How on earth is this attitude somehow controversial here? I don't get it.
    1. The FCS was the Best option for NDSU for a very long time.
    2. As a general rule- the FCS sucks at football and has proven that is not committed to football at all.
    3. It's time to go FBS

its controversial because this is the NCC 2.0 !!!

what the HELL dont you old timers get about this!!

NDSU has plateaued, there is no where to go UP with FOOTBALL.

NDSU is going to be DRAGGED down by the NCC 2.0 mark my words.. its TIME to DO something!!
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

Competition is a good thing, especially when it involves those you dislike the most. Throwing a fit about playing them just means you're afraid of them. Personally, I could care less whether UND is in our conference and we have to play them, but I will enjoy watching the Bison beat them down if the opportunity rises. I enjoy listening to their knucklehead fans boost about how they can win before the game, then are left miserably speechless afterwords.
    I loved this post. I always want NDSU to strive for greatness, but NDSU will always be an odd duck that really fits no where. And the sparse population leads to simply too little revenue to move anywhere beyond the directional and private schools we are stuck with.. All we can hope for is a P5 split to improve the current situation. Or, maybe better yet, the B1G allowing FCS games again. I see nothing better and we need to accept that.

oldmantutters is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    I loved this post. I always want NDSU to strive for greatness, but NDSU will always be an odd duck that really fits no where. And the sparse population leads to simply too little revenue to move anywhere beyond the directional and private schools we are stuck with.. All we can hope for is a P5 split to improve the current situation. Or, maybe better yet, the B1G allowing FCS games again. I see nothing better and we need to accept that.
    Not to mention the semi-rapid growth that NDSU has gone through especially since the move up to D1. NDSU is still pretty small enrollment-wise in comparison to other state universities, and was tiny before the move up. Making their alumni base and in turn endowment pretty small.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MankatoBison View Post
    Correct. Couldn't agree more. How on earth is this attitude somehow controversial here? I don't get it.
    Except that the basic premise (competition) of cm post would hold true even without the Dakota schools. Anway, dont let a well written post stand in the way of good strawman. Fact is that stagnation set in once with the old gang.....take a look back. Chances are it will happen again. So yeah, when the pack catches up its a warning sign. Sure, there is time to sit around with the gang, but eventually stagnation will once again set in until someone in the group decides to make a "radical" move and pull everyone up again. I am hoping ndsu leads the way, but.....as the wise man said. We will see!

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    I respectfully disagree, although I do agree with Chris.

NDSU has already set itself apart from the other 3 Dakota schools, based primarily on a more ‘urban’ location and a higher research profile. If you doubt the latter I can dig up statistics.

FM will continue to grow and NDSU – barring inept leadership – should continue to grow as well. With UMN raising the admission bar, NDSU should have a plan to grow off the coattails of the cities. Of the 4 Dakota schools, we are best positioned to do this because we are the closest to MSP. An enrollment of 20k or so within the next 10 years should be a realistic objective.

The P5 split is pure fantasy, just like relegation. If NDSU wants to continue to thrive, it must not settle for the status quo. If we want to avoid stagnation, we need to strive to become attractive to a desirable FBS conference at some point in the not-too-distant future.