Page 20 of 55 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: Nickel Trophy Update

Default Re: Nickel Trophy Update

Quote Originally Posted by Bison Loaf View Post
    I think I'm starting to really be able to sort out all these factions around here. As far as I can tell:

1. There is the so-called "do-nothing" crowd that hates change and childishly wants to stay wherever it is at the moment - which is currently at the top of the FCS heap. Oh, and stay off the damn grass, too!
    2. Then there is the so-called "FBS now" crowd that won't be happy until we leave all the JV stuff behind and move up right now! And don't you dare ask them to pay for it either!
    3. And then.......there is the crowd that enjoys all the success where we are at now, does indeed think it would be cool to move up to FBS really, really soon.....................but ultimately swears allegiance to the fact that there could NEVER be anything ever that compares to the greatness of the NDSU/UND rivalry in football, and whatever else the hell we do, it damn well better include playing them annually (for the Nickel trophy)!

Am I getting pretty close to figuring all this out?
    One addition:

4. And then.......there is the crowd that enjoys all the success where we are at now, does indeed think it would be cool to move up to FBS really, really soon.....................but ultimately swears allegiance to the fact that NOTHING IS WORSE than the NDSU/UND rivalry in football, and whatever else the hell we do, it damn well better include not playing them unless it is in the playoffs or a bowl game!
    My Mom yells louder than your Mom.

Bison Loaf is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot
    "The football hotbed of the high plains."

Quote Originally Posted by runtheoption View Post
    One addition:

4. And then.......there is the crowd that enjoys all the success where we are at now, does indeed think it would be cool to move up to FBS really, really soon.....................but ultimately swears allegiance to the fact that NOTHING IS WORSE than the NDSU/UND rivalry in football, and whatever else the hell we do, it damn well better include not playing them unless it is in the playoffs or a bowl game!
    Thank-you! Forgot about them too. Also known as "The Gene Taylor Experience". I believe that the UND/Nickel crowd still refuses to speak to him to this day!

Thank-you! Forgot about them too. Also known as "The Gene Taylor Experience". I believe that the UND/Nickel crowd still refuses to speak to him to this day!
    .........which breaks Gene's heart, no doubt......

Quote Originally Posted by ZHerd View Post
    The hyperbole doesn't sound any sillier than saying that playing UND is fearless and opportunistic. It's really simple, NDSU playing UND as a conference foe again is stagnation. You could argue it's more them ascending but it's to us it's a form of stagnating. Spin it positively any way you want. It still completely reeks. It's a dumb thing for people to be excited about and I think 7 years from now most people will be feeling that NDSU football is going backwards. If I'm wrong great, but I highly doubt I am
    Playing UND as a conference foe has nothing to do with stagnation. NDSU is at the FCS level because of their size and finances. There is no place to go to without bankrupting the school. If you think NDSU is going to become a P5 anytime soon, or even within our lifetime, you're a naïve fool. There's a lot of bigger schools with more money that are way ahead on that waiting list. That's just a pipe dream. We're just a small DI school with limited funds. Thankfully the FCS exists, or we'd still be DII and would never had gotten the opportunity to play P5 teams to begin with. It sucks, but it's the reality we exist in.

Just because a school within our geographic footprint that is nearly identical in size and finances joins our conference doesn't mean the program is going backwards. Before NDSU joined the MVFC (with the help of SDSU), the conference was spinning its wheels and going nowhere (UNI was King and was content with conference titles). Since our arrival, the MVFC has become the premiere FCS conference, and better than many G5 conferences. The main reason for this is because of the Bison. Our school has caused pretty much everyone in the conference to raise their game, including Indiana State. UND doesn't take any of that away. Those F'Hawkers have been raising their game too, and by the time they get into the MVFC, they won't be worse than the terrible teams in the conference, and therefore, not making the conference weaker.

Having all Dakota schools competing against one another is good for NDSU. It prevents us from becoming complacent. Seeing our core rivalries rise will keep us moving forward in order to prevent them from surpassing us. Need proof? Just go back a few weeks ago to Larsen talking about building an indoor practice facility. Would we be doing that if SDSU and UND didn't have one? I doubt it. Same thing can be said with the renovation of the BSA into the SHAC.

Competition is a good thing, especially when it involves those you dislike the most. Throwing a fit about playing them just means you're afraid of them. Personally, I could care less whether UND is in our conference and we have to play them, but I will enjoy watching the Bison beat them down if the opportunity rises. I enjoy listening to their knucklehead fans boost about how they can win before the game, then are left miserably speechless afterwords.
    Hail the BISON!!!

Bison Loaf is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot
    "The football hotbed of the high plains."

Quote Originally Posted by southcliffbison View Post
    .........which breaks Gene's heart, no doubt......
    Poor Gene is still trying to figure out to this very day.....................how his bungled handling of the UND situation.......................stifled his promising upward career path.

Nobody, and I mean nobody, puts the kibosh on the restart of a sacred regional rivalry............and lives to tell about it!

Wait. What?

You're right, I forgot about that one! Those guys rock!

Yet..................I just can't help thinking that I'm still missing another group out there somewhere. At least I hope I'm still missing another group, because - as hard as I might try - I just don't seem to fit into ANY of these wildly popular groups!

Oh well. That probably says more about ME than anything else. In the end, I'm only left to quote an old 1972 pop song (a vintage year that I seem to be stuck in)

"................... in my hour of need............................ I truly am indeed........................ alone again, naturally."
    I discovered that song was #1 the week I was born.

As it stands, this post contributes as much to the discussion as any.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

totoinfl is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Moen View Post
    How about we all just get "dimes" instead!

Seems appropriate with the inflation calculated in.

Quote Originally Posted by totoinfl View Post
    Seems appropriate with the inflation calculated in.
    Depends on what you're inflating.

FBS OR BUST FIRE LARSEN
    Hey UND: 34-9...38-7...34-13...16-6...42-21

100% anti MAGA

Poor Gene is still trying to figure out to this very day.....................how his bungled handling of the UND situation.......................stifled his promising upward career path.

Nobody, and I mean nobody, puts the kibosh on the restart of a sacred regional rivalry............and lives to tell about it!

Wait. What?
    .......and such a promising career, too.............oh, what could have been.......

I think I'm starting to really be able to sort out all these factions around here. As far as I can tell:

1. There is the so-called "do-nothing" crowd that hates change and childishly wants to stay wherever it is at the moment - which is currently at the top of the FCS heap. Oh, and stay off the damn grass, too!
    2. Then there is the so-called "FBS now" crowd that won't be happy until we leave all the JV stuff behind and move up right now! And don't you dare ask them to pay for it either!
    3. There is the crowd that enjoys all the success where we are at now, does indeed think it would be cool to move up to FBS really, really soon
    3(a). And then.......there is the crowd that enjoys all the success where we are at now, does indeed think it would be cool to move up to FBS really, really soon.....................but ultimately swears allegiance to the fact that there could NEVER be anything ever that compares to the greatness of the NDSU/UND rivalry in football, and whatever else the hell we do, it damn well better include playing them annually (for the Nickel trophy)!

Am I getting pretty close to figuring all this out?
    Close, but I'll see if I can fix your post for you.