Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dual Attendance

Default Re: Dual Attendance

Great feedback everyone. This is a great discussion and one that is very important to us. The Iowa State dual this past November and the dual vs Minnesota in 2015 shows that this program CAN put 1,200-1,500 fans in the stands per dual with probably a spike for some of the major programs that may come to town. Would love to break the 2,000 mark next season. Right now, we hope that happens the 4th weekend of November this upcoming season . Your ideas and thoughts are noted and we plan to have even more stock put into the social media and marketing categories in 17-18. I think we saw a pretty good spike in it this year but it is still a work in progress until the perfect blend of techniques is found and we can then use that system year after year to start filling up the arena! I will say this about the 2017-2018 schedule.... It will be VERY exciting! Lets keep this discussion going. GO BISON!

Tony Almeida is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
    DGF organizes a coach bus(es) every year to a Gophers match and it fills up in a hurry. Hosting them in Fargo gives local Gopher fans a chance to see them without traveling 3+ hours. I would do whatever I can to ensure that MN is on the schedule every year. Getting John Smith and OK State on the schedule would be a huge draw and with them being a conference foe, they SHOULD be on the schedule every year.

Outside of just a better schedule, I think it's just a culture thing. I can remember going to NDSU matches regularly since the early 90's and it's never been a consistent huge draw. SDSU has changed their culture around in the last few years and now their duals are spectacles and the place to be in Brookings. I'm not sure how best NDSU wrestling can do that, but there are options.

#1 culture change has to be getting the general student body engaged in the duals. Getting the general student body excited about a wrestling match is hard to do, but it would really help with a better atmosphere. I have no clue how to get the student body more involved, but I think it needs to happen if we're to take the next step.

I'd like to see cheap season tickets for elementary kids who are in local programs. Charge $2 a ticket and try to get these kids hooked early on. Plus if you have an elementary kid there, you'll have parents there too.
    Agree with all of this^^^
    Why isn't there a program set up already with area wrestlers and their parents?? This is a no-brainer. Let every wrestler in free and charge parents a few bucks and get the word out! This pays off in the long run.
    There is absolutely no excuse for any kid in wrestling, elementary to high school, living in the area not to be at NDSU wrestling matches! I would have killed for DI wrestling where I grew up, but NAIA is what we had and I attended plenty of those matches. Parents need to kick their kids off the computers and gaming consoles once in a while...

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Almeida View Post
    Why isn't there a program set up already with area wrestlers and their parents?? This is a no-brainer. Let every wrestler in free and charge parents a few bucks and get the word out! This pays off in the long run.
    There is absolutely no excuse for any kid in wrestling, elementary to high school, living in the area not to be at NDSU wrestling matches! I would have killed for DI wrestling where I grew up, but NAIA is what we had and I attended plenty of those matches. Parents need to kick their kids off the computers and gaming consoles once in a while...
    Especially since youth wrestling seems to be a pretty big deal in the area, almost all the tournaments I've attended (which are rural but reasonable distance from Fargo) are always well attended deals. Seems the youth wrestling is spreading out west too as I see classmates kids from Western ND are starting to go to tournaments too.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Almeida View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 1998braves64 View Post
    Especially since youth wrestling seems to be a pretty big deal in the area, almost all the tournaments I've attended (which are rural but reasonable distance from Fargo) are always well attended deals. Seems the youth wrestling is spreading out west too as I see classmates kids from Western ND are starting to go to tournaments too.
    With the USA Wrestling Tournament here, we should figure out a way to cross market better. Not only are their great potential recruits on campus of a Big 12 program... tons of wrestling fans in general. How do we get them to see some Big 12 wrestling?

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Just to be clear, NDSU has offered cheap tickets for local programs in the past. Iowa State was the notable example this past year. I'd just like to see that expanded quite a bit. Get with Tech Team, DGF, everyone else to offer up cheap tix at practices. I think it's potentially even better now with local guys like Cam, Metz, and Shearer as high visibility young guys in the program.