Page 5 of 43 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: More legislative shenanigans by Al Carlson

Default Re: More legislative shenanigans by Al Carlson

Quote Originally Posted by WePharm View Post
    What this really shows is our budget problems in ND are self inflicted. Sure we can always find some places to save money but to hit higher ed in general and NDSU in particular with 20% cuts is untenable. Same with all those programs that help the least of us.
    Nobody on here had a problem when it was double digit increases in funding for higher ed.

We also are in the middle of the worst Farm economy in decades and that absolutely trickles into Fargo and other cities and then add in the oil industry basically shutting down for the last two years and it was going to be a very very tough time. It is good for us to go through times like this though as it should weed out some of the bloat.

Don't get me wrong I to also believe that it was stupid to lower the production tax but we wouldn't be in a very good position even if we had left it alone but 200 million isn't that big of a drop in what about 5 billion in expected revenue.

What you're missing is that the reduction in income taxes and buyout of property taxes have resulted in structutal deficits to say nothing of the downturn in ag and oil.
    Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir."
    Scrooge-"Are there no prisons?". "Plenty of prisons..."
    Scrooge-"And the Union workhouses." . "Are they still in operation?". "Both very busy, sir..."
    "Those who are badly off must go there."
    "Many can't go there; and many would rather die."
    Scrooge- "If they would rather die," "they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population."

No one had the stones to leave all the other taxes where they were and actually charge the oil extractors enough to pay for the additional public costs they were causing or gtfo because the oil will be there when they're willing to work on our terms. Everyone thought they were going to be rich and the state was going to be set forever.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

I still remember Al crying about how the evil ND residents were taking those poor defenseless little oil companies to the cleaners...

NDSU to the FBS always. In all ways.

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUstudent View Post
    I still remember Al crying about how the evil ND residents were taking those poor defenseless little oil companies to the cleaners...

Do Monty's getting pissed at DB for not screwing over NDSU and the ND citizens have anything to do with Nesset, Hageroit, and Port's attacks? Do they coincide with Monty's call to big al to force a sell? Does actual $$$$ for these dirty deeds actual transfer from one ot another. A lot more questions need to be asked and looked at here. Will anyone in ND dare to dig deeper?

Al's NDSU land swap was offered as an amendment in committee. The oil extraction tax reduction was put in at the very end last session. No public hearing, testimony, fiscal implications.

Government forcing a land swap sounds like a terrible idea.

Unless Al is getting a huge kick-back from these oil companies, ND might have one of the dumbest elected politicians ever.

Maybe I see the cut if the oil companies promised to hire a TON more people so that state could recoup the losses by collecting more State Income Tax from those hired workers, but this is giving away free money.

This is so stupid that there has to be shady back room politics to legitimize it. As I previously stated in other threads, is this why there is a target on NDSU because they are bringing too much attention to the State?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hail the BISON!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 56BISON73 View Post
    Why did they let him do it? Doesnt that have to be voted on?
    Because if they didn't support his legislation, he would have made sure any they proposed would fail. Politics at its finest. We basically have a bunch of idiots out there. We really do.

Bisonville: Making football coaches out of arm-chair-QB's and jock sniffers for years!
    Today's CAS GASF = ZERO
    RELUCTANT MEMBER of the TOHBTC

And, don’t believe everything you think—jussayin’.

Liberals of BV need not respond to my posts. I don’t need to get any more dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by CAS4127 View Post
    Because if they didn't support his legislation, he would have made sure any they proposed would fail. Politics at its finest. We basically have a bunch of idiots out there. We really do.

We have some bullies, a bunch of sycophants, and even more cowards.